Will the Gopher offense morph for Athan?

Otis

Reaction score
Kaliakmanus is our starting quarterback going forward. No amount of PJ speak is go ping to convince anyone of a competition for the mantle. So, going forward, how will the offense change to maximize his strengths?

1. He has a cannon attached to his right shoulder! Athabaskan can make throws ™ can only dream about making. He completed several passes backpedaling under duress against Whisky using all arm! When he sets up to pass, he has a tight spiral and throws a laser. I’m not saying it’s time for Run & Shoot but a change to a more pass oriented approach is in order.

2. He’s mobile. He has better wheels and brings elusiveness to the position we haven’t seen since Abdul-Kalliq! He’s no Leidner. He’s deceptively fast and makes yards. Definitely can see some called QB runs in the future.

3. No mo Mo. Sadly, our greatest RB of a generation and history is finally leaving. This should all by itself lead to a more balanced attack. I don’t see a battering ram in the roster or in the pipeline. Unless we find one (A&M kid or Bama guy) we may need to switch to someone who can catch out of the backfield more.

4. Ditch the RPO? This is PJ’s preferred offense. I both love and hate it! It confuses and holds the defense after the snap but it also enables bold defenses to penetrate the backfield while we are sorting out run or pass. I’ve always liked the hit the hole as fast as possible approach to running the football the RPO doesn’t allow. I also see a lot of pressure on the QB when aggressive blitzes come on pass plays. Athan has the talents to switch to a more pro-style offense which may be more attractive to recruiting and a duped up offense.

5. Need to keep up the ton and a half offensive line! Now that we have a guy who can sling it, we need to protect better. That is going to require massive mobile OLs. I hope we can pull a few in the portal and ride Schmitz’s draft status to bringing in some solid recruits.

We’ll have to see if the staff can adjust to the talent on the team and right-design the offense to our talents.

We have a QB. Now what will we do with him?

I've been wondering for some time whether most RPO offenses don't have the QB run occasionally as part of the read option. It's always hard to tell for sure but there seems to be plenty of times when faking the handoff to Mo going left would leave the QB yards to run to the right. If nothing else, running that occasionally would make the defense at least have to account for one more thing. I assume that with Morgan that wasn't something they felt comfortable doing but maybe Kaliakmanus can do that.

I think you might see the Gophers throw a bit more, but Fleck still loves to run and I do not think he will change this offense too much. The most important thing about dealing with Big Ten defenses is you have to do a bit of both because they will try to take away something that is working and make you one-dimensional. If you have a QB that can throw, it forces them to be honest and this opens some holes.

I think the thing that impressed me the most about AK during the big Wisconsin win was his quick release. He was under intense pass rush the entire game and he quickly got rid of it with good success!!

The only thing I can be sure of is that AK will be looking back and forth between the center's butt and the sidelines until there's about 5 seconds left on the play clock.
LOL -- I hate that - but didn't it seem to you we were a little better than we have in the past with that?? I could not stand QB Morgan running all over the backfield changing the play with seconds left on the playclock?? It looked absolutely ridiculous.

LOL -- I hate that - but didn't it seem to you we were a little better than we have in the past with that?? I could not stand QB Morgan running all over the backfield changing the play with seconds left on the playclock?? It looked absolutely ridiculous.
I get why people got super frustrated with the way the offense was run in 2020 and 2021. I couldn't stand the last second running around like crazy trying to change the play.

I didn't feel like that was an issue at all this year. Yes we still bleed the playclock down in a number of situations but it didn't feel disorganized and frantic the way it did under Sanford. The sideline check offense is very common and while I have never been a massive fan of it, the way we ran it last year didn't bug me. Same was the case in 2019.

I think its funny that all of these AK threads come after he played great against wisconsin but no one had any interest in starting them after the other games. Massive overreaction to one good game. I am excited for the future but I highly doubt the entire offensive philosophy is about to change.

I don't think it needs to morph much. I think we will and should remain a power running team.

I hope the changes we see are just subtle changes.
(1) Be more willing to throw on early downs. This includes both picking up the easy receptions that are typically wide open on "running downs" and also threatening deep.

(2) Don't design runs for Athan but once a game (or every other game), let him keep it on a read-option. IMO, he is athletic enough to be a threat to run, extend plays, etc., but we he isn't going to be a runner.

(3) We keep the RPO. Athan's arm makes those slants pretty dangerous but I think you'll also see an addition of a deep threat (to the wide side of the field) off of this. OSU does this quite a bit but it requires having a QB who can really throw the football.

The annoying thing about the offense to me the last couple of years is that we were like small changes away from being REALLY good. Being able to run the ball at will against most teams and decently against anybody is a really really good thing for an offense. We should never move away from that but I think there are some really small tweaks that could make our offense really difficult to stop.

I am no expert on RPO at the college level, but I have a little knowledge of it at the high school level. Usually the Run/Pass option is a pre-snap read based upon numbers in the box, scouting report, etc. At the high school level, Hitches or Push (Bubble) routes are attached to the backside of run plays. If the QB sees a coverage defender sneaking in or in a position where he believes the pass route will work, he lets it fly. The rest of the offense is carrying out the run play. The Gophers have made a killing using Slant routes in what looks to me a similar fashion. As far as the QB keeping and going out the back door, that is usually a post-snap read. He is going to keep his eyes on the backside DE (or other defender depending on the D) as he is riding the RB. If the DE comes hard down the line, the QB may pull the ball and go around him.

An aspect of the O that I like is the Check-with-me. I know that it sometimes runs the clock down and forces a time out, but it usually puts the O in a better position to make a play. Basically, eliminate plays that are destined to fail and run something that has a chance.

My hope is that they will take more shots downfield as they did a couple of years ago and continue to work the TE into the game plan. Other than that, I believe what they do now is the core of what they will do in the future. Small changes to maximize talent vs. remakes of the O.

I think its funny that all of these AK threads come after he played great against wisconsin but no one had any interest in starting them after the other games. Massive overreaction to one good game. I am excited for the future but I highly doubt the entire offensive philosophy is about to change.

Defensive coordinators all over the B1G are frantically studying film on Athan, even as we speak. I think there's a good chance that both Rhule and Fickell were told, "For God's sake, whatever you do, you must design a defense that can hold Kaliakmanis in check!"

People are pretty excited about the QB, who funny is running the Fleck offense. I don't see a thing changing other than us possibly executing a little better in the pass game. Key to everything next year is the OL and if they can block for run/pass.

I think you might see the Gophers throw a bit more, but Fleck still loves to run and I do not think he will change this offense too much. The most important thing about dealing with Big Ten defenses is you have to do a bit of both because they will try to take away something that is working and make you one-dimensional. If you have a QB that can throw, it forces them to be honest and this opens some holes.

I think the thing that impressed me the most about AK during the big Wisconsin win was his quick release. He was under intense pass rush the entire game and he quickly got rid of it with good success!!
Random question, football noob here. Is there a defense regardless of conference that does not try to take away whats working? “Try”

People are pretty excited about the QB, who funny is running the Fleck offense. I don't see a thing changing other than us possibly executing a little better in the pass game. Key to everything next year is the OL and if they can block for run/pass.

There are people here who are obsessed with offensive play-calling. That, and run-pass ratio.

Random question, football noob here. Is there a defense regardless of conference that does not try to take away whats working? “Try”
that's true, of course!! But you can see how much tougher it is for teams to stop BOTH the run and pass than it is to just stuff 10 guys in the box to take away the run!!

Defensive coordinators all over the B1G are frantically studying film on Athan, even as we speak. I think there's a good chance that both Rhule and Fickell were told, "For God's sake, whatever you do, you must design a defense that can hold Kaliakmanis in check!"
Thats why they hired Fickell. He sat down, showed them the game plan for Athan and they started sobbing tears of joy at the prospects of stopping him. Like the NFC Central when Randy Moss was drafted.

The only thing I can be sure of is that AK will be looking back and forth between the center's butt and the sidelines until there's about 5 seconds left on the play clock.
A little quick snap wouldn't hurt for the future. At least we aren't waiting till one second left and the whole defense is in the backfield.

I don't think it needs to morph much. I think we will and should remain a power running team.

(1) Be more willing to throw on early downs. This includes both picking up the easy receptions that are typically wide open on "running downs" and also threatening deep.

(2) Don't design runs for Athan but once a game (or every other game), let him keep it on a read-option. IMO, he is athletic enough to be a threat to run, extend plays, etc., but we he isn't going to be a runner.

(3) We keep the RPO. Athan's arm makes those slants pretty dangerous but I think you'll also see an addition of a deep threat (to the wide side of the field) off of this. OSU does this quite a bit but it requires having a QB who can really throw the football.

The annoying thing about the offense to me the last couple of years is that we were like small changes away from being REALLY good. Being able to run the ball at will against most teams and decently against anybody is a really really good thing for an offense. We should never move away from that but I think there are some really small tweaks that could make our offense really difficult to stop.
This is a good post. We still play in the Big Ten. You HAVE to be able to run the football effectively to stay in games IMO. More so because almost every team in the conference can do so and the gameplan for most is to shorten the field, shorten the game.

I do think though with us losing our outstanding running back and bringing back a guy that looks like he has the chance to be one of the better QBs we've had here we will see a little bit more passing.

My #1 hope is that someone is able to step in and fill Mo's shoes. Granted, we can't expect anyone to be THAT good, but someone will need to grab his role and at least do a middle of the conference or better job of handling/running the football.

Fleck used the run/pass very effectively at WMU. But he had a guy named Zach Terrell who became WMU best passer in their history plus a couple of excellent WR's. His run/pass ratio was at or near 60/40 and that worked well.

But as we know PJ became much more conservative here at MN for various reasons.

Can AK get to the Zach Terrell level someday and can PJ get him the playmakers?

All he needs to do is keep it on the hand-off. I don't think that needs to be designed or called.

Just give him the ability to do it once in a while to keep the backside defender honest. If you see them really cheating, pull it and run for an easy 10-15 or more. Maybe once every 10 handoffs or something.

I'm hopeful.

He had a great game. They called plays he could / made really well.

But it was one game, and he also played in other games....

Got a ways to go here.

Fleck used the run/pass very effectively at WMU. But he had a guy named Zach Terrell who became WMU best passer in their history plus a couple of excellent WR's. His run/pass ratio was at or near 60/40 and that worked well.

But as we know PJ became much more conservative here at MN for various reasons.

Can AK get to the Zach Terrell level someday and can PJ get him the playmakers?
Who was their receiver there at Western Michigan that year they made a run? I remember him being a fantastic player.

Nailed it on all counts IMO.

I'm hopeful.

Got a ways to go here.
Given that he was a redshirt freshman getting his first taste of college action I think he did pretty well.

Plenty of room for improvement as would be expected for a young player but he showed lots of promise for the future as well. This will be a huge off season for him as he enters 2023 as the likely starter at QB.

I'm hopeful.

Got a ways to go here.
Don't forget the Nebraska game. He pretty well won that one for us. That was looking like an L until he came in a gave them a spark. He looked really good that game too.

Given that he was a redshirt freshman getting his first taste of college action I think he did pretty well.

Plenty of room for improvement as would be expected for a young player but he showed lots of promise for the future as well. This will be a huge off season for him as he enters 2023 as the likely starter at QB.
Plus you should see a pretty spirited battle for the WR positions for next year as Allen and Autman-Bell could both be fighting for time with the WR's that closed out strong vs. Wisconsin. I expect the WR's will be better next year!!

I think almost everyone would like to see the Gophers run a more balanced offense.

That does not mean throwing the ball 30+ times a game.

it just means throwing the ball enough to make defenses respect the pass. And letting a mobile QB run the ball enough to make defenses respect that option.

But - that is not the real question.

the real question is whether Fleck will allow the Gophers to run a more balanced offense?

and on that one, I don't know.

Fleck clearly believes in himself. he believes in his system. and he believes in his approach.

is he willing to change - or even modify - his system? that remains to be seen.

As somebody who has experience running RPO offenses at the collegiate level reading this thread makes me realize 1. Most of you do not understand RPOs and 2. They are definitely not a problem in the offense and removing them would be a horrendous coaching decision

read deeper, he has had many posts about his potential.

Top Bottom