Will Tanner Outperform 2020?

nitramnaed

Reaction score
He'd better!

Tanner Morgan, QB, Minnesota​

The 2019 season was the dream for PJ Fleck and the Gophers, as Morgan completed 66% of his passes with 30 touchdowns to only 7 interceptions. Morgan ranked 4th in the country with 10.2 yards per attempt, as Minnesota finished 11-2.

There was expected to be some drop-off in 2020 with the loss of wide receiver Tyler Johnson, but with Rashod Bateman and Chris Autman-Bell in tow, Morgan was still expected to compete with the top numbers in the conference. Instead, Morgan completed less than 58% of passes at 7.5 yards a clip with only 7 touchdown to 5 interceptions. Bateman is off to the NFL, but Autman-Bell is one of the conference’s better receivers, and now with a second season under OC Mike Sanford Jr., Morgan should return to his 2019 form.

He will be better, statistically. Hope he finds his 2019 good luck charm, too.

I think he'll be better, I'm not expecting a repeat of 2019 though, we just don't have a Bateman on the team.

I also expect Mo to vulture some TD's Tanner threw in 2019

But I'm excited for offense

Theoretically, the Gopher offense could be more productive in 2021 - and Morgan could still see his passing numbers at or below 2020 levels.

Because - I expect the Gophers to run for a butt-load of yards this year. If the Gophs are gaining 5 or 6 yards a crack on the ground, there is less reason to throw. you know how much Fleck likes time of possession and controlling the clock.

so, I would not be surprised to see games where the Gophers run for 300+ yards and get maybe 150 or so yards passing.

and - I would not be surprised if the Gophers had at least two backs go over 1,000 yards.

This could be a very Mason-esque season for the Gophers offense.

So hard to know.

College football ... I feel is more variable than the NFL even.

I think CAB and Jackson will be a solid Wideout Duo this year. Add in MO and that should be enough. Pressure on Sanford this year but I expect bigger things from him too.

So yes I do expect decent numbers from Tanner.

If he doesn’t, he’ll be benched.

The offensive line should be better, so TM should be better. (I hope)

Fleck has said this is "the year" for BSF. I think you will see CAB and Jackson as receiving yard leaders 1 & 2. TEs led by BSF, and flares to RBs--putting athletes in space--will comprise enough receptions and yards to more than equal a 3rd good WR (400-500 yards). If we have a real threat at no. 3 WR (Brown-Stephens or Dylan Wright), as well, and Tanner distributes well, using all the talent on the filed, I think the aggregate passing yards in 2021 could approach 2019, though there won't be two big dogs like Johnson and Bateman with the vast majority of catches and yards.

Last edited:

“ I would not be surprised if the Gophers had at least two backs go over 1,000 yards.”
Or one go over 2,000 yards.

PJ should play Annexstad for the fourth quarter of an early non-conf blowout (if there is one). Wouldn’t hurt to give A some game rep’s after two years sitting, simply as insurance should Tanner get injured.

Fleck has said this is "the year" for BSM. I think you will see CAB and Jackson as receiving yard leaders 1 & 2. TEs led by BSF, and flares to RBs--putting athletes in space--will comprise enough receptions and yards to more than equal a 3rd good WR (400-500 yards). If we have a real threat at no. 3 WR (Brown-Stephens or Dylan Wright), as well, and Tanner distributes well, using all the talent on the filed, I think the aggregate passing yards in 2021 could approach 2019, though there won't be two big dogs like Johnson and Bateman with the vast majority of catches and yards.
Benilde-St. Margaret's?

IT depends on the definition of outperform I guess. From a shear numbers standpoint, it's highly unlikely he ever gets near 2019 numbers, but he could sure be more efficient and deadly.

Bottom line, I expect this team to absolutely DOMINATE one major stat; Time of Possession. I think they are going to line up with that big line, hand it to Moe and the other RB's, and grind clock. Morgan will throw it a lot less than he has typically, but I expect him to be pretty efficient.

The Gophers are just going to try wearing teams out, and I think they are going to be incredibly effective at doing just that. I expect them to play some lower scoring games, fewer possessions, grind out some wins.

IT depends on the definition of outperform I guess. From a shear numbers standpoint, it's highly unlikely he ever gets near 2019 numbers, but he could sure be more efficient and deadly.

Bottom line, I expect this team to absolutely DOMINATE one major stat; Time of Possession. I think they are going to line up with that big line, hand it to Moe and the other RB's, and grind clock. Morgan will throw it a lot less than he has typically, but I expect him to be pretty efficient.

The Gophers are just going to try wearing teams out, and I think they are going to be incredibly effective at doing just that. I expect them to play some lower scoring games, fewer possessions, grind out some wins.
I think he’ll have a high completion rate, because of “dink” passes to RBs in the flat and short throws to TEs (which are part of our current OC’s repertoire, I believe). These will build up completion rate. These are time-of-possession passes; extend grind-out drives; keep the clock running. In this respect, average yards per catch might not approach the “vertical” year of 2019 where everything went downfield. But with the WRs we have, I expect to see a lot of throws there way, too. I am really excited to see how our offense uses its weapons this year. They have many.

Last edited:

I think he’ll have a high completion rate, because of “dink” passes to RBs in the flat and short throws to TEs (which are part of our current OC’s repertoire, I believe). These will build up completion rate. These are time-of-possession passes; extend grind-out drives; keep the clock running. In this respect, average yards per catch might not approach the “vertical” year of 2019 where everything went downfield. But with the WRs we have, I expect to see a lot of throws there way, too. I am really excited to see how our offense uses its weapons this year. They have many.
We'll have to see on that...didn't see it much last year. Definitely have a bunch of options.

hope punter and fg kicker are better...key to making this strategy work

I think he'll be better, I'm not expecting a repeat of 2019 though, we just don't have a Bateman on the team.
Johnson, Bateman, AutmanBell, Douglas made a nice 4-wr set...the need for defenses to really worry about Johnson and Bateman opened some nice things up for CAB and DD...need CAB and Jackson to elevate their games and some others to surprise as rcvng options...lot of candidates: MBS, Geary, Wright, Emilien, Brockington, Boyd, Dino K, Brock A, et al...maybe as mentioned in other posts it comes from TE or RB position...BSF or Mo or Potts?

Rodney (1,163 yards), Mo (604 yds), Shannon (408) made a really nice 3-RB set...with Seth as a twist...need Potts, Wiley, Williams or young guys Thomas and Irving to step-up (Jelen?)

Dink passes. Scott Frost isn't on the team is he?

hope punter and fg kicker are better...key to making this strategy work
Without a doubt. I'm optimistic about the PK situation. It will be markedly improved this year. The ripple effects of not having a high level of confidence in your K is more than most people think. It starts to affect how you call plays once you cross midfield really; aggressiveness on 2nd and 3rd down, whether or not you go for it on 4th down, et al.

I know Trickett isn't going to just be handed the job, he'll get decent competition from Walker and Mobley, but getting the MAC's top PK could be one of the top 3-4 transfers the Gophers landed this year. At the risk of hyperbole, it could mean a couple points per game honestly. It has been THAT bad lately.

Dink passes. Scott Frost isn't on the team is he?
Hopefully Frost hasn't made any advances towards the significant others of any of his assistant coaches; old habits die hard, that kind of thing...

Top Bottom