Will have to have divisions in B10

They should consider no more Conference Championship games and each Power Conference automatically get its top two teams in.

B1G-2
SEC-2
ACC-2
B12-2

4 at-large

Something along these lines or Championship week could be 8 teams vying for spots 9-12.

They should consider no more Conference Championship games and each Power Conference automatically get its top two teams in.

B1G-2
SEC-2
ACC-2
B12-2

4 at-large

Something along these lines or Championship week could be 8 teams vying for spots 9-12.
I guess if the revenue lost from a Conference Championship is made up for in the playoff berths.

B1G-2
SEC-2
ACC-2
B12-2

4 at-large

This would be fine but if teams have identical records then you would need a championship game to determine who gets the automatics.

Maybe 2 games for the B1G after seeding, 1 vs 4, and 2 vs 3.

Sure, but how many eyeballs in NY/NJ actually watch Rutgers that wouldn't already be watching the BIG? I'm skeptical that it's a big number.
It's not strictly about how many Rutgers fans it added! I imagine NYC metro has a massive amount of alumni from B1G institutions like MI, NW, OSU, and PSU. These are also the eyeballs that were added also. Adding Rutgers is primarily a vehicle to reach a multitude of B1G fans that already existed there.

There will be 4 divisions and a 4-team playoff, although not initially, it will happen. We'll all love it way more than we do now when it happens.

It's not strictly about how many Rutgers fans it added! I imagine NYC metro has a massive amount of alumni from B1G institutions like MI, NW, OSU, and PSU. These are also the eyeballs that were added also. Adding Rutgers is primarily a vehicle to reach a multitude of B1G fans that already existed there.

Unless there are regulations that require a school to be in the local market to carry the BIG games, I don't see the point in adding a low tier sports school to the mix and giving it an equal share of revenue. This is all speculation, of course. I could be way off. I've never seen actual numbers for the incremental viewership numbers that Rutgers adds over what would already happen in NY/NJ.

There will be 4 divisions and a 4-team playoff, although not initially, it will happen. We'll all love it way more than we do now when it happens.

I don't think divisions will be a reality, but if they do I would prefer 3 Divisions and the Conference playoff include the 3 winners and a Wild Card.

For example, if there are 20 teams we could play MARY, IN, WASH, IA, NEB, WI, Rutgers, ILL, USC.

And OSU could play UCLA, PUR, NW, MI, PSU, ORE, FSU, Stanford, MSU.

No common conference opponents.

It would be more common that teams would share a common opponent or 2 but just the idea that you could hardly play any of the same teams that another team in the standings does, just doesn’t feel right.

Unless there are regulations that require a school to be in the local market to carry the BIG games, I don't see the point in adding a low tier sports school to the mix and giving it an equal share of revenue. This is all speculation, of course. I could be way off. I've never seen actual numbers for the incremental viewership numbers that Rutgers adds over what would already happen in NY/NJ.
Likely, it was part of a package tier that cost extra. Adding Rutgers pushed it up to be included in an extended basic service that reaches more people. Also, streaming providers probably wouldn't offer BTN there if it wasn't for Rutgers.

That’s my question as well. Couldn’t cable providers have the Big10 network even if no Big10 team plays there?

The reverse might also be true. Wasn’t part of the PAC12’s problem with their old media deals was that many cable providers out West didn’t want to pay what the Pac12 wanted? Couldn’t the same cable providers push back against the Big10 network wanting x amount of money? Especially now that Washington will be playing Indiana instead of Arizona?

Likely, it was part of a package tier that cost extra. Adding Rutgers pushed it up to be included in an extended basic service that reaches more people. Also, streaming providers probably wouldn't offer BTN there if it wasn't for Rutgers.

Just for kicks and grins, I looked up DirecTV packages in Minneapolis, Queens NY and Austin TX. All three had BTN at the second tier but not the basic tier. I'm still skeptical Rutgers adds that much....but have spent too much time on this and am done. Go Gophs!

That’s my question as well. Couldn’t cable providers have the Big10 network even if no Big10 team plays there?

The reverse might also be true. Wasn’t part of the PAC12’s problem with their old media deals was that many cable providers out West didn’t want to pay what the Pac12 wanted? Couldn’t the same cable providers push back against the Big10 network wanting x amount of money? Especially now that Washington will be playing Indiana instead of Arizona?
Yeah, but that would be new dollars. It wouldn't impact existing subscribers elsewhere. Plus, most of the money schools receive comes from the national tv deals they signed with Fox, NBC, etc.

Also, Directv agreed to add the PAC-12 network years ago, but the presidents said no.

No I think that ship has sailed.
Love 10 game schedule. Would actually love a 12 game schedule.

As with a 9 game schedule it will bring a different standard for what success looks like.

I do think once expansion is done they will group teams for scheduling. Even if they don’t call them divisions.

5 team scheduling groups in a 10 game conference schedule in a 20 team conference allows you to play:
4 teams 6/6 years
6 teams 3/6 years
9 teams 2/6 years
Check this one for me

With a 10-game conference season and 4 protected games you can play the other 15 teams twice at home and twice away in 10 years. 15 X 4 = 60. 60 / 6 = 10. You’ll also play everyone home and away at least once in 4-1/2 seasons (during 5th season)

Home and away ( assuming you and your pod mates are 1-5):
Season 1/2
Opponent 6 through opponent 11
Season 3/4
12 through 17
Season 5/6
18 through 20; 6 through 8
Season 7/8
9 through 14
Season 9/10
15 through 20

That’s everyone 4 times in 10 years. Now try to figure out everyone’s protect-4.

Who knows what additional changes will happen in the next 10 years, but for fun let’s say things magically stay as they are now and we go to 10 conference games.

In that case, is there any world where we don’t back out of the home and home with Alabama in 2032/2033? If we didn’t, that’d probably end up being the most difficult schedule Minnesota has ever had. 10 B1G games plus Bama on the road in 2033 would be nuts.

Who knows what additional changes will happen in the next 10 years, but for fun let’s say things magically stay as they are now and we go to 10 conference games.

In that case, is there any world where we don’t back out of the home and home with Alabama in 2032/2033? If we didn’t, that’d probably end up being the most difficult schedule Minnesota has ever had. 10 B1G games plus Bama on the road in 2033 would be nuts.
A lot can change in 10 years.

I can’t imagine this lasts without divisions. You don’t make money by going against what the vast majority of fans want to see. Nobody wants to be in a 20 team division less conference.

Check this one for me

With a 10-game conference season and 4 protected games you can play the other 15 teams twice at home and twice away in 10 years. 15 X 4 = 60. 60 / 6 = 10. You’ll also play everyone home and away at least once in 4-1/2 seasons (during 5th season)

Home and away ( assuming you and your pod mates are 1-5):
Season 1/2
Opponent 6 through opponent 11
Season 3/4
12 through 17
Season 5/6
18 through 20; 6 through 8
Season 7/8
9 through 14
Season 9/10
15 through 20

That’s everyone 4 times in 10 years. Now try to figure out everyone’s protect-4.
Probably the biggest issue is in the 10 years the conference doesn’t look the same as it does at the beginning.

They’re just going to do the flex protect until they think the conference e members are settled for at least one scheduling cycle.

Sure, but how many eyeballs in NY/NJ actually watch Rutgers that wouldn't already be watching the BIG? I'm skeptical that it's a big number.
The media is the one determining value, they obviously valued that.

In a post Saban world who knows how good the Tide will be? 'Bama was quite pedestrian before he got there for about a decade.

Saban will be 81 when the series is supposed to start.

Correct. Also gives them a chance to see their team play live.

Correct. Also gives them a chance to see their team play live.
Every big ten team has the payed a team in New York metro and DC metro in the last 5 years.

This is part of making a national brand.

The NBA likes being in New York even though the knicks are mediocre at best lately

Every big ten team has the payed a team in New York metro and DC metro in the last 5 years.

This is part of making a national brand.

The NBA likes being in New York even though the knicks are mediocre at best lately
Yep. Loved having the B1G tournament at MSG. It will be in L.A. at the Forum in the next five years.

Just for kicks and grins, I looked up DirecTV packages in Minneapolis, Queens NY and Austin TX. All three had BTN at the second tier but not the basic tier. I'm still skeptical Rutgers adds that much....but have spent too much time on this and am done. Go Gophs!
My guess is that the decision to add Rutgers would be different today. I think the analytics have gotten so much better and the B10 would know that the added subscribers would not pay off the share Rutgers gets. I think that's what the B10 is seeing with Stanford now.

My guess is that the decision to add Rutgers would be different today. I think the analytics have gotten so much better and the B10 would know that the added subscribers would not pay off the share Rutgers gets. I think that's what the B10 is seeing with Stanford now.
I think it looks at the Bay area just like it did for L.A. and Seattle. Honestly, Oregon is the outlier.

I think that adding Rutgers is a good addition in the minds of big ten schools

Money off the charts
Rutgers loses.
That’s a win win for the original 12 who let them in.

Yep. Loved having the B1G tournament at MSG. It will be in L.A. at the Forum in the next five years.
I doubt it would be at the Forum, unless they need 2 arenas to stage the event. Staples (now Crypto) or whatever new digs the Clippers move into will be far more likely.

Note, the PAC12 event was so underwhelming in LA that it's been in Las Vegas for the past 10 years.

Add to the fact that they're a large university with respectable academics, calling it the worst realignment move in history I think is quite a leap.....
Agreed. The article’s argument really boils down to Rutgers not being very good at football recently. Not a very strong argument for the worst realignment move in history.

I doubt it would be at the Forum, unless they need 2 arenas to stage the event. Staples (now Crypto) or whatever new digs the Clippers move into will be far more likely.

Note, the PAC12 event was so underwhelming in LA that it's been in Las Vegas for the past 10 years.
That could be true, they didn't have the tournament at the newer Barclays Center.

Top Bottom