Will Coyle do anything to help enhance home crowd advantage?

It’s been discussed in this thread. I have never gone but its literally across from BWW and kitty corner to the stadium. No idea what that building is because as the university told me when I applied to be a student “you’re clearly not very smart and are barely literate”
The event at McNamara with no food?

I am a die hard fan who can find links...I can't find a link to this event.

Somebody mentioned Goal Line Club. I am told they were unable to keep their pregame event going.

Maybe it's me, but I think with the quality of watching on TV, it's going to get harder to attract new people to the stadium on a consistent basis. For example, for me, I've been to a handful of football games in my entire life. I think one Gopher game in the dome as a kid, two at the dome in college, and one viking game at the dome.

So since I have almost no experience going to games, tailgating, atmosphere, etc. maybe I don't know what I'm missing? But then I consider what I'd have to do to even go to a game:

1. Get an electronic ticket, right? No more paper ones? So I'd have to install some app on my phone?

2. Leave my place well before kickoff, even though I'm only a few miles from campus. So either give up the pre-game show or some other game currently being played, so I can sit in traffic and find a place to park, then walk to the stadium.

3. Put up with the security to get in? I hear people complaining about that all the time. Makes me want no part of it. I like the spring game where I can just walk right in and sit down. Anything more than that is just a new hassle I haven't experienced and don't want to.

4. What to do between plays? All my life, minus the 4 games I listed above, I'd watch football on TV and see replays and stat graphics and all kinds of stuff in between plays. What can I do at the stadium except look at my phone?

5. Deal with a crowd when leaving.

So 1-5 are all new to me. My last game was the viking's opener in 2001. Now if 1-5 are commonplace for some, that might be why it's so easy for them to go. But you'd have to do an AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL lot to get me to put up with 1-5 just to see the game in person. Not even free tickets would do it. A free ticket plus unlimited beer and food and I'd consider showing up. Use the new TV revenue to fund unlimited beer.

But that's just how I view it. A major pain in the a#$ versus staying home and switching to another game if the gophers are losing.
I make a day of it. Get there early and stay after. I have a great time, every time. Based on your list, you go to no large live events. Where is the enjoyment in that? Sad.

Somebody mentioned Goal Line Club. I am told they were unable to keep their pregame event going.
When did they stop having food at Macnamara? Pretty sure I was there last year and there was food.

Zero chance there is 15,000 Iowa fans there.
Never been to a Iowa game but there are that many Wisconsin fans every 2 years. I think there will be over 10k Iowa fans. But we can pretend there won’t be if you want to. Minnesota program has come a long way but the attendance is kind of weak compared to the top tier teams and many are butt hurt about that for some reason.

There was food indoors last year but now this year the only food is sometimes a food truck outside.
When did they stop having food at Macnamara? Pretty sure I was there last year and there was food.

Never been to a Iowa game but there are that many Wisconsin fans every 2 years. I think there will be over 10k Iowa fans. But we can pretend there won’t be if you want to. Minnesota program has come a long way but the attendance is kind of weak compared to the top tier teams and many are butt hurt about that for some reason.
Maybe 10K. That's still under 20%.

Man, you are some kind of brilliant. What's you point posting out here?
View attachment 21824
Sorry did I say something that wasn’t true. Just realistic me boy. Feel free to look through my posts. When I’m positive I get a bunch of likes and if not then I’m a troll. I watch the games and go to the games just like others. Love the gophers stadium and it’s super nice but we can joke about how small it is can’t we.

I’ve never been into it. I know there are people with plates when I walk by. Granted when I tailgate there isn’t food either. It’s just drinking in a parking lot. But usually without plates.

There won’t be 10,000 Iowa fans. You’ll see a lot of black and yellow because winter gear and gopher fans wear “gold” that is actually yellow. But you can make these claims and no one can dispute it because they don’t track these things.

There was no where near 10,000 wisconsin fans last year.

There won’t be 10,000 Iowa fans. You’ll see a lot of black and yellow because winter gear and gopher fans wear “gold” that is actually yellow. But you can make these claims and no one can dispute it because they don’t track these things.

Lol. Pst nomination. There is every 2 years.

It’s been discussed in this thread. I have never gone but its literally across from BWW and kitty corner to the stadium. No idea what that building is because as the university told me when I applied to be a student “you’re clearly not very smart and are barely literate”
It’s extra frustrating when a judge tells you the same thing…

Still have that winter bomber from the Iowa game a few years back. I expect to wear it on gameday lmao. This may be a hot take and idk if this falls on Coyle's shoulders but we should change our fourth quarter song. The "do the gopher" bit has been played out and it honestly sucks, they dont even play the whole song anymore. It was cool when they started it, but now it seems forced and the student section doesn't get into it at all. Find a classic song that everybody knows that makes people dance/chant. Good examples are shout at Oregon and jump around at Wisco.

There have not been 15,000 Wiscy fans at either of the last two games in 2019 and 2021. You're tripping.

That's because they don't have a pro team right there in the same metro (Iowa of course not at all, Green Bay almost impossible to ever get tickets)

IA and WI don’t need us to buy tickets to fill their stadiums. But we rely on them to sell out our much-smaller stadium.

If that were true, we wouldn't have sold out any other games at TCF than those two opponents.

Maybe it's me, but I think with the quality of watching on TV, it's going to get harder to attract new people to the stadium on a consistent basis. For example, for me, I've been to a handful of football games in my entire life. I think one Gopher game in the dome as a kid, two at the dome in college, and one viking game at the dome.

So since I have almost no experience going to games, tailgating, atmosphere, etc. maybe I don't know what I'm missing? But then I consider what I'd have to do to even go to a game:

1. Get an electronic ticket, right? No more paper ones? So I'd have to install some app on my phone?

2. Leave my place well before kickoff, even though I'm only a few miles from campus. So either give up the pre-game show or some other game currently being played, so I can sit in traffic and find a place to park, then walk to the stadium.

3. Put up with the security to get in? I hear people complaining about that all the time. Makes me want no part of it. I like the spring game where I can just walk right in and sit down. Anything more than that is just a new hassle I haven't experienced and don't want to.

4. What to do between plays? All my life, minus the 4 games I listed above, I'd watch football on TV and see replays and stat graphics and all kinds of stuff in between plays. What can I do at the stadium except look at my phone?

5. Deal with a crowd when leaving.

So 1-5 are all new to me. My last game was the viking's opener in 2001. Now if 1-5 are commonplace for some, that might be why it's so easy for them to go. But you'd have to do an AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL lot to get me to put up with 1-5 just to see the game in person. Not even free tickets would do it. A free ticket plus unlimited beer and food and I'd consider showing up. Use the new TV revenue to fund unlimited beer.

But that's just how I view it. A major pain in the a#$ versus staying home and switching to another game if the gophers are losing.
Many of you may disagree, but the following are my thoughts on this post:

1. If installing a new app on your phone is a problem worthy of not attending a game, I don't know what to tell you. I can't even imagine the 30 seconds this takes being a problem. Ever.
2. Have never sat in traffic on the way to a Gophers game long enough to make me think twice about it being a problem.
3. I've never had an issue here, although I've read on here about people who have.
4. College football games take forever regardless of how you watch. Enjoy the atmosphere.
5. Stick around the area. A lot of folks do. It's fun. But also, I've never once thought that dealing with people leaving the stadium was a problem.

I have to say that I don't view any of these as a "major pain in the ass". I love watching on tv, but mainly because I live 400+ miles from the stadium. When I go to a game, not a single one of these five points plays into my gameday experience. Not one.

Again, one fans opinion.

Many of you may disagree, but the following are my thoughts on this post:

1. If installing a new app on your phone is a problem worthy of not attending a game, I don't know what to tell you. I can't even imagine the 30 seconds this takes being a problem. Ever.
2. Have never sat in traffic on the way to a Gophers game long enough to make me think twice about it being a problem.
3. I've never had an issue here, although I've read on here about people who have.
4. College football games take forever regardless of how you watch. Enjoy the atmosphere.
5. Stick around the area. A lot of folks do. It's fun. But also, I've never once thought that dealing with people leaving the stadium was a problem.

I have to say that I don't view any of these as a "major pain in the ass". I love watching on tv, but mainly because I live 400+ miles from the stadium. When I go to a game, not a single one of these five points plays into my gameday experience. Not one.

Again, one fans opinion.
I agree. When going to a college game just make a day of it. I have never had a bad experience at a gopher game. As a badger and gopher fan I can tell you that most gopher fans are really nice people. I actually got in another badger fans grill in 19 because he was being a dick to my gopher buddies and I got a free beer from some random gopher guy. Of all the sports stadiums I’ve been to in the Midwest I can’t remember not having a great time at the game. I even got a good chuckle out of the jump around they did last year. Let’s just all have a good time. It’s only sports boys.

Back to the topic of what could the administration do especially with the cold weather expected? The Bomber Hats several years ago were awesome!! I understand that would be hard to pull off on short notice if not preplanned with a sponsor, but here is a very cheap idea. I went to the Vikings - Packer game on 01/02/02 with 8 buddies and they gave away nylon like material Packer Gators. Probably cost 10 cents a piece or less but a nice thoughtful give away. How hard would that be? Would add some more Gold/Maroon to everyone's winter gear as well! PS - I do like the free schnapps for all as well!!

If that were true, we wouldn't have sold out any other games at TCF than those two opponents.
That’s true, occasionally against marquee opponents (PSU 2019, OSU 2021) we can sell out our stadium, which is less than half the size of their stadiums.

Still have that winter bomber from the Iowa game a few years back. I expect to wear it on gameday lmao. This may be a hot take and idk if this falls on Coyle's shoulders but we should change our fourth quarter song. The "do the gopher" bit has been played out and it honestly sucks, they dont even play the whole song anymore. It was cool when they started it, but now it seems forced and the student section doesn't get into it at all. Find a classic song that everybody knows that makes people dance/chant. Good examples are shout at Oregon and jump around at Wisco.
I sit right next to the student section. They absolutely get into it.

Last edited:

Do you think Coyle, the administration, PJ have given up on trying to hype up these games and get a sellout? You shouldn’t need to do these kinds of things to sell out a rivalry game like this but in MN apparently that is the only way, such a frustrating fanbase.

I would be very curious how many businesses have season tickets. It seems like that is a big deal with the Vikings. Most people I know that go to Vikings games get them from the company they work for. I've probably been to 10 Vikings games in my life and have never spent a dime on tickets as my dad's company has a 12 season tickets.

Top Bottom