Why would you keep Pitino?

Carr is second in the B1G in assists per game.
[/QUOTE
He probably has the highest usage rate in the country. He has at least 8 possessions a game where no one other than him touches the ball when we have one of the best bigs in the big ten. I actually love his heart and his competitiveness but he definitely dribbles the air out of the ball and doesn’t hit guys when they are open bc he is looking for his on shot

I don't get how any one can look at this roster and not agree. This is the 2nd year where we played with no PG & we got project freshmen that we don't know if they will develop enough to be ready next year. We are assuming Mashburn is ready made but we really have no clue with him being a true freshmen
Keep in mind what other teams are returning and bringing in.

Be careful what you wish for.
Ticket prices were raised when the product was stale so declining fans is only partially Little Ricky's fault.
Is there money for a star hire? It is not a program with a cachet to attract a star without a lot of $$$.
One and dones are not staying at WI either but Gard somehow gets some decent players from MN.
Whose fault is that and why?
I bet Coyle waits another year to decide and hunt for a possible replacement.
Greg Gard is a far better coach.

I go back and forth on whether it's time to move on or not. What are reasons to keep Pitino? I don't necessarily believe some of the things I'm posting.

1. Still a young and learning coach
2. Bringing in a nice 2020 class
3. Competitive even with early departures and injuries

other thoughts of support?
How old do you have to be ?
We have out recruited others by ranking many times. Plus, check out what other schools are bring in that have better evaluators.
Competitive ? One early departure ? Injuries, everyone has them. We may finish behind UW all 7 years.

Honestly he is not that bad of an Xs and Os coach.
He isn’t bad at developing players.
He is really bad at attracting a full roster of players and talent to be developed. The one season he had a dependable 7 man rotation we were top 5 in the conference. But he can’t manage a roster. I’m out

Tre Jones doesn't dribble the air out of the ball every possession. That is my biggest issue with Carr. Gabe percentages are down because Carr hits him way too late with passes and he shoots all contested shots instead of open looks.

Gabe has missed a ton of wide open 3s this year. I believe he missed three in one possession against Indiana. Carr does as he is instructed (may be a pitino issue) and the team lives and dies by it. If he is not doing as instructed, he should be taken out of the game which pitino does with every other player. I doubt Carr is allowed to do whatever the hell he wants.

This isn’t easy as i lean towards making a change, but I would say prior to this mid conference slide, the team was exceeding my expectations. Carr and Oturu both made big improvements and part of me thinks Pitino will have a more consistent above average team in two years. I hate that Teague had to hire a fricking rookie and put the fan base through his learning to coach. I also think he is a poor in game coach.

The loss against Indiana should have Coyle at least LOOKING at potential hires. With that being said, I think there's still a case to be made for giving Pitino the 8th year.

1.) Pitino's recruiting is getting better

Obviously Richard's recruiting early in his tenure here was pretty bad. He took way too many risks and shot for upside by recruiting household names such as Bakary "bricks for hands" Konate and Gaston Diedhou. Pitino doesn't run players off the team so it means we had to stomach those duds for 4 long years apiece. On top of that, we came up empty with the 2017 class despite it looking great on paper (not Pitino's fault).

HOWEVER - I personally think his recruiting has improved. Pitino is no longer shooting himself in the foot and is bringing in consistently better talent. The 2018 class has been solid with Oturu, Omersa, and Kalscheur. Williams and Ihnen have shown flashes and are promising freshmen. The jury is still out on Mashburn Jr. and Martice Mitchell but they both have tremendous potential.

2.) Expectations

Realistically, what were the expectations for this season? We lost our all-time leading rebounder and double-double machine in Jordan Murphy. Amir Coffey, one of the front-runners for B1G POTY graduated a year early to go the NBA. Eric Curry blew his knee out with another season-ending injury without playing a single minute.

Sure, you can say Pitino's roster management was terrible (see point 1) and we shouldn't be as short-handed as we are. But we knew that was going to be a problem BEFORE the season, as did Coyle. This was clearly a rebuilding year - we're starting 3 sophomores, a junior and a senior grad transfer. There's every chance that Coyle sees NEXT year as Pitino's make or break year, especially if Oturu returns for a junior campaign.

3.) No home-run hires/losing recruits

I'm just going to combine these into a single point since this post is getting long. Craig Smith is the most obvious hire but other than him are there really that many coaches on the market that we love? Secondly, and I don't think this is really much of a reason to keep a coach, but losing Mashburn Jr. and/or Martice Mitchell because Pitino gets canned would really suck. Regardless of who the coach is we all want to see them play in a Gopher uniform.

And before the anti-Pitino club comes at me with pitchforks I want to say I was just answering the OP's question. I trust Coyle to make the correct decision as he did with the football program and I will support the team whoever the f*cking coach is.

How old do you have to be ?
We have out recruited others by ranking many times. Plus, check out what other schools are bring in that have better evaluators.
Competitive ? One early departure ? Injuries, everyone has them. We may finish behind UW all 7 years.
You make this statement and at the same time say rankings do not matter. Hmmmm.

I am disappointed with the inconsistency we are seeing but one year after winning an NCAA game is not the time, another year for me, I thought the timing of the Tubby firing was bad also though and not doing it then could really of gotten ugly.

I think the fan base will make the decision for Coyle if they tank next year, the barn will be empty,

Hahaahahahhahaha

How is that funny? To anyone who has any decent knowledge of BB, this is obviously true. The Gophers are starting every B10 game 4-6 points down based solely on coaching matchup. That would be fine if Lil' Ricky was a high level recruiter- which he has shown not to be.

New coach, please.

Why? Only reason I can think of, losing Pitino and might miss out on his recruits, Thompson, Mashburn, etc. Then do they miss out on Walton?

Why do people keep bringing up the Minnesota kid thing? Our best player is a Minnesota kid who stayed home, the best one in over ten years. What program do people see that we want to emulate that is stocked substantially with homegrown talent? NONE.
I get it, MN high schools have been kicking out some talented players, and we've gotten some of them.
Getting more kids to want to stay home would be nice, but not at all a reason to hire a new coach- what about a new coach changes a kid's desire to play for a blueblood or to travel somewhere else (maybe warmer)? What credibility does a new coach, who just got here (from somewhere else) truly have when convincing a kid to stay home? Very little.

As for good players not from around here, Richard has done very well with some of those recruits. Murphy is a top10 gopher of all time who likely be hanging in rafters one day- do we really forget Richard found that kid and helped develop him? Who was the last all-time gopher great on our rosters? Why do people act like Murphy didn't exist and was 100% a Pitino find? Do we expect Richard to find a new Murphy every year? Is that realistic?

The only issue I have is that the barn and the product do feel stale- and a shot in the arm is probably not a bad thing for this program. But is that really enough? Aren't we likely to get the same result from the next guy as we've always gotten?

Why do people keep bringing up the Minnesota kid thing? Our best player is a Minnesota kid who stayed home, the best one in over ten years. What program do people see that we want to emulate that is stocked substantially with homegrown talent? NONE.
I get it, MN high schools have been kicking out some talented players, and we've gotten some of them.
Getting more kids to want to stay home would be nice, but not at all a reason to hire a new coach- what about a new coach changes a kid's desire to play for a blueblood or to travel somewhere else (maybe warmer)? What credibility does a new coach, who just got here (from somewhere else) truly have when convincing a kid to stay home? Very little.

As for good players not from around here, Richard has done very well with some of those recruits. Murphy is a top10 gopher of all time who likely be hanging in rafters one day- do we really forget Richard found that kid and helped develop him? Who was the last all-time gopher great on our rosters? Why do people act like Murphy didn't exist and was 100% a Pitino find? Do we expect Richard to find a new Murphy every year? Is that realistic?

The only issue I have is that the barn and the product do feel stale- and a shot in the arm is probably not a bad thing for this program. But is that really enough? Aren't we likely to get the same result from the next guy as we've always gotten?
If we get a great coach we will win a lot more.

Why? Only reason I can think of, losing Pitino and might miss out on his recruits, Thompson, Mashburn, etc. Then do they miss out on Walton?

Changing coaches always brings this possibility. Depends on the coach they replace Pitino with

How much credit should we give Richard for Murphy as he would have never been a Gopher if Shaka would have stayed @ VCU. Also, what other good out of state players has he recruited in 7 years? Nate Mason perhaps?

How much credit should we give Richard for Murphy as he would have never been a Gopher if Shaka would have stayed @ VCU. Also, what other good out of state players has he recruited in 7 years? Nate Mason perhaps?
Murphy played at Minnesota, didn't he? Therefore Pitino gets the credit. And Nate Mason is not "perhaps a good out of state player". He was all B1G 1st team his junior season and would've gone back to back his senior year if he didn't struggle with that hip injury which eventually needed surgery.

You only have 3 posts on your account so maybe I shouldn't be feeding the troll but whatever.

He is really bad at attracting a full roster of players and talent to be developed. The one season he had a dependable 7 man rotation we were top 5 in the conference. But he can’t manage a roster. I’m out
see I think he is actually an average to below average x's & o's guy. he doenst have any creativity when it comes to offensive plays. And man...watching this team against a zone....my goodness. Its like they don't have an offense to run when teams sneak in zone. with how bad of shooting team we are I truly cant believe more teams don't try using zone against us. Of course when they are stopping you using there normal man to man why switch into zone.
but yeah when it comes to x's and o's I think he can do a lot better

Pitino needs a change!

The state of gopher fans need a change.

This is good for everyone.

Pitino needs a change!

The state of gopher fans need a change.

This is good for everyone.

Yes, the state of gopher fans need a change. Unlike some others, I don't give a damn about what is good for Pitino. He's made millions at a job he never should have been offered and he's going to get somewhere around a $2.5 million parachute when he leaves. Up to this point, he's led a charmed life so I'd say he's due for a little adversity.

After 7 years of the Pitino era, it is pretty obvious what you are getting with him. There is no way that our bench should be as weak as it is, after 7 years of recruiting.

Sorry, but I think he is a bad Xs and Os coach. When was the last time, we were losing late in a game, and he made a coaching move, and we pulled out a victory? We tend to lose games late, and not win them late.

After 7 years of the Pitino era, it is pretty obvious what you are getting with him. There is no way that our bench should be as weak as it is, after 7 years of recruiting.

Sorry, but I think he is a bad Xs and Os coach. When was the last time, we were losing late in a game, and he made a coaching move, and we pulled out a victory? We tend to lose games late, and not win them late.
I agree with your second paragraph but when we are missing open shots I find that more of a recruiting issue than an Xs and Os issue.

we don’t have a bench and our guys are too tired and bad at the end

Top Bottom