Why the Gophers could be in line for a high seed in the NCAA Tournament

Michigan State is another mind bender. Both Palm and Lunardi have MSU in, yet:
- Net is 83
- Have not defeated anyone in the Palm or Lunardi brackets.
- Best win is Rutgers
- Lost to NW
- 2-5 in conference play.

Michigan or Maryland tonight? I'm kind of hoping Maryland pulls that game out. Michigan will be a Quad 1 win unless their wheels TOTALLY fall off. Maryland has a solid NET right now and a win against them could really bump them a few spots.

Edit: meant for the other games thread.

I try not to get too invested with bracketology middle of the season, even though it's really fun to follow, but I just don't understand how Lunardi can give Ohio State two seeds higher than the Gophers.

4 Best Wins for Ohio State - UCLA, Rutgers (2), and Illinois
4 Best Wins for Minnesota - Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, and Saint Louis

With the struggles recently of Illinois and Rutgers, it's a no-brainer for Minnesota. If you want to give Ohio State the benefit of getting some road wins, that's fine, but you also have to take into effect that Minnesota beat them by 17 points head to head, we've had a MUCH tougher Big Ten schedule to date, and all of our losses have been road losses to top 25 teams. Remember the NET is just one metric for seeding purposes. The committee is supposed to look at the whole picture. Anyway, I digress... :)
Lunardi’s seeding of the Gophers is really head scratching, especially when you consider that he has Iowa and Michigan (teams the Gophers have split with) both as 1 seeds. He also has Illinois and Wisconsin each 1-2 seeds higher than Palm, thus making the Gophers’ losses to them more understandable. Maybe he is putting a lot of weight in road/neutral records, but his seeding of the Gophers does not make sense for a team with wins over a 1, 1, 4, 8, and 11 seed and its only losses to a 1, 1, 3, and 5 seed.

Last edited:

Lunardi’s seeding of the Gophers is really head scratching, especially when you consider that he has Iowa and Michigan (teams the Gophers have split with) both as 1 seeds. He also has Illinois and Wisconsin each 1-2 seeds higher than Palm, thus making the Gophers’ losses to them more understandable. Maybe he is putting a lot of weight in road/neutral records, but his seeding of the Gophers does not make sense for a team with wins over a 1, 1, 4, 8, and 11 seed and it’s only losses to a 1, 1, 3, and 5 seed.
Likely the result of zero wins on the road.

Win a couple on the road here and I will go on record as saying this team gets a 3 seed. They have the talent for it. They have impressive wins. They need to take care of business against some of the lesser conference teams and pickup some road wins and that is where I think they will land.

Win a couple on the road here and I will go on record as saying this team gets a 3 seed. They have the talent for it. They have impressive wins. They need to take care of business against some of the lesser conference teams and pickup some road wins and that is where I think they will land.
All the more reason this Nebraska postponed game sucks. It wouldn't have been a quality road win but it would have been a road win regardless.

The best 6 seed seems to be the consensus so far.

Also, id suggest http://www.bracketmatrix.com/ , it does a great job of compiling many "experts" (not just palm and lunardi) brackets. Updated daily.

Top Bottom