Why the future looks bright

Saluki_Kill_Fan

Reaction score
I decided to look at how Jerry Kill's offenses have improved in his first 3 years at each stop.

(rush/pass/total offense)

Southern Illinois

2001: 173/144/317
2002: 276/118/394 (+77 Total Offense)
2003: 256/158/414 (+20 Total Offense)

Northern Illinios

2008: 171/164/335
2009: 195/150/345 (+10 Total Offense)
2010: 260/190/450 (+105 Total Offense)

Minnesota
2011: 160/150/310
2012: 152/169/321 (+11 Total Offense)

As you can see, he loves to establish the run. The most significant increases to Total Offense came in years when the running game improved vastly (173-276 at SIU and 195-260 at NIU). With no one on the Offensive Line graduating, and with Pirsig and Hayes being added in to provide depth, I see a good jump in run production coming next year. Everyone is a year older and a year stronger. While there was a drop in rushing per game between 2011 and 2012, everyone can attribute that to having a mobile quarterback for most of the season as opposed to Nelson this year. On the plus side, the RB's combined average improved from 3.62 to 3.96 yards per carry, so the line has already taken a small step forward in opening holes for the work horses. I'm not going to predict 250-270 rushing yards per game, seeing as this is the Big 10. However I think 210-220 rushing yards per game isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I agree the running game needs to be more consistent, but at the same time, you can't be one-dimensional. (unless you have an absolutely dominant rushing game.) The problem with relying on the run (like the Vikes most of the year) is that, if the run gets stacked on 1st or 2nd down, then you're in a 3rd-and-long with a QB who may not be up to the challenge.

For the Gophs to become a more balanced offense, they have to be able to complete passes in key situations - and that's the rub. I have no idea what Nelson is going to do next year. Is he capable of showing improvement, and solidifying the QB job? If Nelson can't do it, then the Gophs' options are another true FR, or a soph in Leidner who hasn't taken a snap in a significant game.

The first 2 or 3 games next year are going to be extremely interesting............

I agree. Kill has a solid game plan. Our problem is we haven't had the personnel to fully implement it yet. We have a bunch of raw olinemen who at times get lost out there. As for Nelson not being up to the challenge, he's a freshman who wasn't even supposed to be playing this year. We spent two years building things around Gray and then three games into the season he gets hurt and then his back up gets hurt. Watch the tape from the beginning of the year and then watch the bowl. The offense has changed to accommodate Nelson as the year progressed and in the bowl we saw what we're more than likely going to see going forward (less shotgun and zone read more under center power run). Next year is going to be another step in the right direction.

remember the NDSU game when the NDSU kid got the turn over and his teammate raced in expecting a pitch? in a nutshell, that is where the kids need to be. both O and D needs to be attuned to scoring at any play.

Great stats, thanks for the input. I am optimistic, too, though the Big Ten, with Nebraska in it, is downright scary.

SON - Leidner hasn't taken a significant snap because he was red-shirted. I look for him to give Nelson a run for his money next year. We've got several guys who red-shirted that I can't wait to see. Leidner, Harbison (injury), Maxx Williams, Pirsig and Hayes, among others.

Top Bottom