Why so quiet about Gray?

go 31

Reaction score
After defending Adam Weber earlier in the season, I was frankly looking forward to MarQueis Gray having a chance in key opportunities. Weber had a great day with 19-31 for 416 yards while Gray was 0-2 in passing and got 23 yards in 8 rushes. Weber was still unable to make any positive rushing yards -- he had great rushing yards his first 2 years.

What's the analysis of Gray's performance? While he had lots more snaps, clearly he was not given any venturesome or close-to-bold plays.

Why are GHer's so quite about not giving MarQueis a chance?

Gray looks like a tremendous athlete and his day is coming. He got more snaps yesterday than ever before. He's progressing. His involvment continues to increase game to game. It's all coming along.

Hard to complain in a win, and it's easy to overlook this particular complaint when the starter played well, and considering the biggest complaint is the penalties.

Gray didn't have as big of a role because the offense was successful without him.

Gray needs to get to the edges and use his speed. He is so intent on following the back into the hole he ends up running into the pile for 2-3 yards everytime.

On the zone read play the reason the QB is supposed to keep the ball is because they read the DE on the edge committing more to the back. That should leave the edge more open to exploit for Gray as he keeps it. While I realize that not every play Gray runs is a zone read this would really help. Most of the time if the QB cuts to the outside it leaves a 1-1 situation with the Will or Sam linebacker (or a safety in a pass formation) and I like our chances there.

In the shotgun look - again, Gray needs to bounce it to the outside more as well. While I am never opposed to a 4-yard gain, this would perhaps sacrifice a couple yards for the explosive play or two a game from the run we desparately need.

And, of course mixing in more play-action passes will open up more running lanes for Gray.

They seemed to use him a little differently last night. I wonder if they weren't working on another phase of his game. Asking him to make the correct read on a run play. They are clearly developing him, so it wouldn't suprise me to see them working on his skills rather than using him as the weapon that he is. just a thought.

Hard to complain in a win, and it's easy to overlook this particular complaint when the starter played well, and considering the biggest complaint is the penalties.
Pretty much the long and short of it.

I'm not convinced we ran the zone-read. It looked like more it was either a gray run or a whaley run from the sidelines. Maybe Gray had some bad reads? MSU played it correctly though force whaley and gray to play inside the tackles.

his big run was taken away by Kuznia and I believe if he had that play, they would have let him finish that drive with a TD chance. He will be used more and more.

Top Bottom