Why SHOULDN'T Coyle fire Claeys right now?

Claeys just doesn't seem to me like the guy who should be leading the program. I look at him like I look at myself at work. I work on a team of very successful people who sell stuff. My role on that team is to be behind the scenes, doing the more technical, analytical work that helps to sell our product. I reap the praise time and time again, and know that my skill set is essential for my team's continual success. I am an expert at my trade and understand the Xs and Os of the business better than most. However, it doesn't mean that I would have any success if I were the one on the front lines actually trying to close a deal.. Deep Saturday thoughts....

if Shannon Brooks is going to get ten carries a game, then the HC an the OC both need to be fired. The OC cost us the Iowa game today.

That was the worst game I have seen since moving into the Bank. That game was for taking and finally Iowa decided they wanted it. I was actually hoping it would not go into overtime but the scenerio I had in my head was that we score and then go for 2 and not make it. All of the Iowa fans around me agreed that both teams are terrible. Other than that it was another beautiful Saturday afternoon outside watching football. It is going to be a long year.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Claeys can survive 1 more regular season loss (and only if that is to WI or Neb) and be back next year. 2 and I don't think he does.

That was the worst game I have seen since moving into the Bank. That game was for taking and finally Iowa decided they wanted it. I was actually hoping it would not go into overtime but the scenerio I had in my head was that we score and then go for 2 and not make it. All of the Iowa fans around me agreed that both teams are terrible. Other than that it was another beautiful Saturday afternoon outside watching football. It is going to be a long year.

Was it worse than the 2013 Iowa game?

I told Mrs. Billd at the start of the game double-secret probation would be in play if we lost.

Hate the outcome to put this in play. Not fair to Coach but something is amiss...

Didn't we get beat by a couple of FCS teams at The Bank, including one in which the head coach had a seizure on the field? I mean this sucked but let's not go overboard.

Dude, they lost to South Dakota.

I think that at least for today, the QB is a bigger issue than the coach.

Overheard conversation at the game:
" Does Claeys ever move from that same spot"?
" When's the last time WR has created separation of at least 5 yards"??
" We've to be the most penalized team in the B1G"
" At least our band is better"
" Bring back Mason" ( I thought that was funny although I'm sure tongue in cheek)
" Iowa was waiting to get beat....this really sucks"!
" Is Brooks still not at full strength"?
" We miss Lingen"
" Great kid, but Mitch is average at best"
" Wonder if Coyle is getting antsy"?
" Fu-k, Wisconsin is going to kill us"
" We lose to Maryland I think Claeys has 1 foot out the door"

I want some of our staff to remain with a new head coach.

Crazy idea, I know.

Figure out who the best coach in the MAC is right now. Then figure out who the 5th best coach in the MAC is, because that's who the U will have to settle for.

tc is our interim coach. you don't fire your interim until you have your new coach

I want some of our staff to remain with a new head coach.

Crazy idea, I know.

I have some same thoughts, I think it's just fear of starting over. I would actually consider Claeys as DC and with right offensive minded and good recruiting HC. Fleck is the only guy that might work with.

It's really not ideal or realistic, but right now MN and PUR are only big ten teams that will be looking for a new coach. Fleck is a Midwest guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call Les Miles and say we have a 5 mil yr contract to come coach. Time to get serious

Watching the Navy-Houston game and I'd think this Navy coach is sharp. A system like this could possibly work here. He does nearly every year with undersized guys and they seem really well coached. Just trying to think outside the box. Claeys should have the whole year.

I don't know if he needs to fire him right now, but Coyle should be making phone calls.

I think a lot of the "Fire him now" crowd is losing the point of the conversation.

The question isn't, should we fire Claeys now or keep him as HC. The question is, "is their a benefit to firing him in the middle of the season?"

I can't think of any benefit to firing him right now (for the players, recruits, fans, program in general).

Watching the Navy-Houston game and I'd think this Navy coach is sharp. A system like this could possibly work here. He does nearly every year with undersized guys and they seem really well coached. Just trying to think outside the box. Claeys should have the whole year.

Won't happen in my opinion. He gets offers every year and only one he interviewed for is BYU, which he turned down. He's been at Annapolis (in some capacity) for the better part of 18 years.

I think a lot of the "Fire him now" crowd is losing the point of the conversation.

The question isn't, should we fire Claeys now or keep him as HC. The question is, "is their a benefit to firing him in the middle of the season?"

I can't think of any benefit to firing him right now (for the players, recruits, fans, program in general).

AMEN. Firing him now isn't the right decision unless we replace him with the next coach now (not some interim). That ain't happening with anyone we want long term.

How could get any worse for loyal fans who have been suffering thru this BS for 50 plus years....Firing him at the end of the season is pointless...The recruits that want to play for him and his staff will leave anyway...This season is only going to get uglier for him and Mitch.

How could get any worse for loyal fans who have been suffering thru this BS for 50 plus years....Firing him at the end of the season is pointless...The recruits that want to play for him and his staff will leave anyway...This season is only going to get uglier for him and Mitch.

I don't know if it will get any worse, but I can't imagine it will get any better by having Sawvel or whomever be the interim coach.

Again, please make the argument that it benefits the program to fire him NOW rather than in a couple of months.

I don't know if it will get any worse, but I can't imagine it will get any better by having Sawvel or whomever be the interim coach.

Again, please make the argument that it benefits the program to fire him NOW than in a couple months.

Coyle and his associates can get a jump start on a list of potential candidates knowing that Tracy will not be the future face of the program....It also signals to fans of this program that this level of play is not acceptable.

Brian Kelly may be looking for work in the off-season.

<b>Coyle and his associates can get a jump start on a list of potential candidates knowing that Tracy will not be the future face of the program</b>....It also signals to fans of this program that this level of play is not acceptable.

They don't need to fire TC to make a list. As far as pursuing those on that list - they can't do that till after the season regardless.

How much was Les Miles making at LSU? Match it and let's roll!

Coyle and his associates can get a jump start on a list of potential candidates knowing that Tracy will not be the future face of the program....It also signals to fans of this program that this level of play is not acceptable.

Your first point. . . no. Just no. They should and would be doing that regardless.

As far as your second point, I'll have to agree to disagree. Our program has seen much darker days. We aren't like getting beat by FCS schools or anything. I don't see how your objective (improving the program) isn't further developed by firing Claeys at the end of the season.

Top Bottom