Why is this board not more interested in Porter Moser?

So, I'm going to indirectly answer this question, in two parts:

1. Here's the Big 10 coaches who were hired from mid-major programs that were subsequently fired in the years since Monson was hired at the "U" (1999): Monson, Richard Pitino, Todd Lickliter, John Groce, Ed DeChellis, Pat Chambers, Tommy Amaker, Archie Miller, Bruce Webber, Bill Carmody, Doc Sadler, Tim Miles

Here's the list either still coaching or left on their own volition (longer than five years): Fran McCaffery, Bill Self, Bo Ryan, Steve Alford (although he was under pretty heavy fire) (should be noted that Steve Pikiell and Chris Holtmann should soon join this list)

I'd be prone to put Webber into the category of a successful hire for Illinois and Pat Chambers would still be at Penn State if not for the player abuse allegations, but all in all, it's a lot more coaches who don't successfully make that leap than those that do.

2. Since Dan Monson was hired by Long Beach State in 2007, they have had four seasons over .500 in his 14 years with one NCAA appearance. They have had five consecutive seasons where they've finished under .500, yet Monson was extended for five years in 2018. He's the winningest coach in LBSU history and at the time of the extension, he was the highest paid coach in the Big West conference.

Now, I'm not saying Monson is Moser's equal as a coach nor that Monson and Moser have similar aims in the profession; but as evidenced with Monson, you can carve out a pretty nice career at the D-1 mid-level without the pressures and demands inherent at a larger program.
Yeah I think it's apples and oranges a bit as Monson moved from mid major up to Big Ten, got fired, and is back coaching mid major level with very little chance to move back up.

Moser is dominating the mid major level with a real chance to move up but may choose not to.

To your point...of course you can put up a nice career at a mid major, hell, you can even have enough success that the mid major becomes a household name like Gonzaga, Wichita St, Creighton, etc. who are now either blue bloods or have moved up conferences. Will Moser and Loyola Chicago get to that level? Who knows.

Seth Davis believes Moser is headed to Indiana. That would be quite a move for both of them. Can't believe he would be their first choice, but an excellent coach nevertheless.

Seth Davis believes Moser is headed to Indiana. That would be quite a move for both of them. Can't believe he would be their first choice, but an excellent coach nevertheless.

Not their 1st,2nd or the choice but he may be the first one that will say yes.

They should quit asking on Bennett. Turned it down back channel twice. Has Holtman turned it down ?
Not sure exactly but rumors were they inquired. If they're on to Moser I guess it didn't go anywhere

So Stevens, Bennett and Holtmann all said no so far?
No idea on Bennett, but yeah might as well start asking Nick Nurse and Jay Wright too...I’m glad the media reported they went after Hotlmann. Indiana is going through the UCLA thing where they need to learn most don’t value the job as much as they think

At least Indiana swings for the fences. The Gophers bunted with 2 strikes and the bases loaded and fouled it back.
I don’t sense any excitement for the program. Waiting for the student manager to Enter the transfer portal. It seems as if the current roster does not share BJ s passion for the program and see what any objective person sees, your classic dumpster fire. Go Indiana as their administration is at least making an attempt to win.

No idea on Bennett, but yeah might as well start asking Nick Nurse and Jay Wright too...I’m glad the media reported they went after Hotlmann. Indiana is going through the UCLA thing where they need to learn most don’t value the job as much as they think
A lot of people just can not understand that some people are loving their life right where they are. They have a strong connect to the President, the AD, the community, kids in great schools, the culture. Proof of this is when they are making over 4 million and they turn down jobs offering up to 9 million ! When someone finds their fit in life, a place they love but can still grow it is really a beautiful thing.

At least Indiana swings for the fences. The Gophers bunted with 2 strikes and the bases loaded and fouled it back.
I don’t sense any excitement for the program. Waiting for the student manager to Enter the transfer portal. It seems as if the current roster does not share BJ s passion for the program and see what any objective person sees, your classic dumpster fire. Go Indiana as their administration is at least making an attempt to win.

This. So disappointing how the whole thing went down. Minnesota Sports- hope for the best, expect the worst.

A lot of people just can not understand that some people are loving their life right where they are. They have a strong connect to the President, the AD, the community, kids in great schools, the culture. Proof of this is when they are making over 4 million and they turn down jobs offering up to 9 million ! When someone finds their fit in life, a place they love but can still grow it is really a beautiful thing.

You sound like you're describing the life of a very successful horticulturist or yoga teacher instead of the life of a big time college basketball coach. The latter job can provide a lot of satisfaction, accomplishment, fame, and monetary benefits but it's a very stressful job.

Kevin McHale once said that coaching ages you in dog years. But, depending upon the breed and environment, some dogs live longer than others. I suspect coaches turning down Indiana has more to do with Indiana than with the bliss of their current positions.

You sound like you're describing the life of a very successful horticulturist or yoga teacher instead of the life of a big time college basketball coach. The latter job can provide a lot of satisfaction, accomplishment, fame, and monetary benefits but it's a very stressful job.

Kevin McHale once said that coaching ages you in dog years. But, depending upon the breed and environment, some dogs live longer than others. I suspect coaches turning down Indiana has more to do with Indiana than with the bliss of their current positions.
Certainly is part of it along with so many other factors. Nicer college towns, better climates, winning at a place you built, wife loving the culture, kids in great schools. Some enjoy contentment within the standards they determine.

I think that some of the folks that choose not to hop around are doing do to help slow down those dog years. It's going to be a difficult job, it's going to be stressful, etc., but at least it's the devil you know.

When you like where you're at and you're making millions of dollars, for some people the extra headache that might come with another 2-5 million per year isn't worth the headache.

You see this everywhere. I know a lot of extremely successful trial lawyers who certainly could start their own thing or could have pivoted between firms for more money. They work 70 hours per week, make a million bucks a year but they don't hate their job. The only reason they don't follow every lead is because working 70 hours per week, being miserable and making $2 million doesn't seem like a good trade off.

It's not that the job is easier. It's that difficult jobs can become impossible in the wrong environment.

I think that some of the folks that choose not to hop around are doing do to help slow down those dog years. It's going to be a difficult job, it's going to be stressful, etc., but at least it's the devil you know.

When you like where you're at and you're making millions of dollars, for some people the extra headache that might come with another 2-5 million per year isn't worth the headache.

You see this everywhere. I know a lot of extremely successful trial lawyers who certainly could start their own thing or could have pivoted between firms for more money. They work 70 hours per week, make a million bucks a year but they don't hate their job. The only reason they don't follow every lead is because working 70 hours per week, being miserable and making $2 million doesn't seem like a good trade off.

It's not that the job is easier. It's that difficult jobs can become impossible in the wrong environment.

Well, sure, and that's more or less what I was saying. Any big time college basketball coaching job is stressful but Indiana is one of the most stressful of all and if you're making a lot where you are and have a decent nest egg already, moving there for another big raise may not be worth it. KY would be even worse and UCLA would be pretty bad too.

I was taking a bit of an issue to Badgers' invoking contentment with local schools, culture, and general environment. I suspect most big time basketball coaches are a little on edge wherever they are and rarely fully at peace (at least in-season) and thinking about the job while sitting at the symphony orchestra performances with their wives. And the quality of local public schools largely is irrelevant to someone making $2 million plus a year.

Coaches i know have their kids in great private schools that match several core values of the family. I did not mention public schools. My point is that there are coaches that actually will not leave where they are even if you doubled their salary. There are so many different kinds of coaches as people, so many different kinds of jobs, so many different kinds of communities. Really wonderful when you see them find the best place for them. This may be the case with Ben Johnson here.

Coaches i know have their kids in great private schools that match several core values of the family. I did not mention public schools. My point is that there are coaches that actually will not leave where they are even if you doubled their salary. There are so many different kinds of coaches as people, so many different kinds of jobs, so many different kinds of communities. Really wonderful when you see them find the best place for them. This may be the case with Ben Johnson here.

Really boring and schmaltzy sentimentalist response. Did you lose all of your edge as you got older?

Who gave you all the weird notion that Moser was only willing to coach at Catholic Schools? He coached exclusively at state schools from 1991-2007.

Top Bottom