Why don't we show up it he first half?

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Seems like most games this year we've been pretty bad in the first half. Is it coaching? Youth? Something else? It is a serious problem, and will only continue to rear its head as we play good teams.

That should be "the" first half. Damn iPhone.

First half? Hell with 2 minutes left in the 4th qtr we have only scored 7 points. We did not show up in the second half.

Don't know who you can blame besides coaching. Did they watch film and make a gameplan all of last week?

Why didn't we show up in the 2nd half. All talk, no action.

First half? Hell with 2 minutes left in the 4th qtr we have only scored 7 points. We did not show up in the second half.

At least we're winning in the 2nd half, if the first was anything like the 2nd we would have a shot to win.

At least we've outscored them today in the second half. But against all the other teams too we've just come out flat. I don't get it.

Don't know who you can blame besides coaching. Did they watch film and make a gameplan all of last week?

I can't stand this way of thinking. In the history of sports, it is almost never solely the coaches or the players' fault.

It's not the gameplan's fault a bunch of passes were severely overthrown.

I can't stand this way of thinking. In the history of sports, it is almost never solely the coaches or the players' fault.

Is it the player's fault to that we continued to run the ball all game, ending up with a grand total of 27 rushes for 30 yards. Pretty obvious that wasn't working, but why would we make adjustments? And if you think a few passes were off target is the reason we got embarrassed today, you might want to watch that game again...

we scored 7 points the entire game... we didn't show up in the 2nd Half either & Iowa definitely played a lot more conservative in the 2nd Half...

I put a lot of the blame on Limegrover and his play calling. It is well known fact we run the ball. Iowa is not sjsu and our o line were not going to be able to push Iowa's d-line around. So what do we do, we waste play after play running against Iowa. Never mind the fact that we were completing passes, let's continue to run. If we had a offensive coordinator with an imagination, we would have had a fighting chance. Limegrover is a horrible offensive coordinator and is not worthy of being in the big 10.

I think the answer is that if the other team (Big10) shows up in the first half, then we're overmatched. So the problem may not be that we didn't show up, but that there wasn't any more for our guys to give.

we scored 7 points the entire game... we didn't show up in the 2nd Half either & Iowa definitely played a lot more conservative in the 2nd Half...

Exactly, Iowa knew they had the game in the bag at halftime. Why pass the ball and take chances. Run the ball and eat the clock. Also, our offense could not do anything against their d, so there was no incentive to score. Their plan worked out perfectly.

Just not a very good team. Have enough athletes that they can wear down opponents if they're playing the bottom of the barrel teams though.

Is it the player's fault to that we continued to run the ball all game, ending up with a grand total of 27 rushes for 30 yards. Pretty obvious that wasn't working, but why would we make adjustments? And if you think a few passes were off target is the reason we got embarrassed today, you might want to watch that game again...

Did you actually read my entire post or just nitpick bits and pieces? My point is that it is never, ever just the coach's or just the player's fault. Never said anything about it not being partly on the coach's. But, even if it was a good gameplan (I'm not saying it was), it doesn't make a difference if the execution is poor.

By the way, we ran the ball 8 times in the 2nd half. We passed it 15 times.

We're not very good. Period. We do have a relatively big O-line and some big RB's, so we can pound it against poor teams whom we physically overwhelm. Anybody else? Well, our poor passing game and suddenly NOT so big O-line rears its ugly head.

I put a lot of the blame on Limegrover and his play calling. It is well known fact we run the ball. Iowa is not sjsu and our o line were not going to be able to push Iowa's d-line around. So what do we do, we waste play after play running against Iowa. Never mind the fact that we were completing passes, let's continue to run. If we had a offensive coordinator with an imagination, we would have had a fighting chance. Limegrover is a horrible offensive coordinator and is not worthy of being in the big 10.

I agree with some of your points. Limegrover can be frustrating at times. I just mentioned in another post that we passed twice as much than we've run in the 2nd half and it doesn't matter what the play calling is like if you can't execute. Again, before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying the play calling was good or the coaching was good today.

Did you actually read my entire post or just nitpick bits and pieces? My point is that it is never, ever just the coach's or just the player's fault. Never said anything about it not being partly on the coach's. But, even if it was a good gameplan (I'm not saying it was), it doesn't make a difference if the execution is poor.

I get what you are saying and think you probably agree that our coaches need to figure out how to get things kick started better in the beginning. Yes, Nelson missed throws when we were still in the game and that is a big reason why we didn't threaten at the end. However, the first half and two of the TDs are directly related to our coaching staff both not getting the team ready to play and Limegrover having a terrible plan and an OL (that he coaches) getting killed as well as Claeys literally having the absolutely worst first half (and actually the whole game) that you could possibly have as a D coordinator. I thought our D kids played hard but were put in some terrible positions all game.

I think 8 times in the 2nd half was still too many, considering we were down 3 possessions every time we had the ball. I agree that it's not entirely the coaching staff's fault, but there is no way you can look at that loss and say that we came in prepared to play.

I think 8 times in the 2nd half was still too many, considering we were down 3 possessions every time we had the ball. I agree that it's not entirely the coaching staff's fault, but there is no way you can look at that loss and say that we came in prepared to play.

We were down 2 possessions for a good part of the 2nd half but I agree with your point.

I'm sure you were just frustrated (and I completely understand why). I just think it is never solely on the players or coaches. I've always felt like coaches get too much blame when a team loses and too much praise when they win.

I agree with some of your points. Limegrover can be frustrating at times. I just mentioned in another post that we passed twice as much than we've run in the 2nd half and it doesn't matter what the play calling is like if you can't execute. Again, before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying the play calling was good or the coaching was good today.

I am not jumping on you. In fact, you are one of the most level headed posters on here. I just have no faith in Limegrover. To me, it was known we would not be able to run against Iowa and a good coach would have known that and adjusted the game plan. You see this all the time in the NFL. Instead, we stick to the same game plan and get shut out in the first half. You have to be able to adjust your game plan to your opponent. I do not see that with Limegrover. it is run, run, run, regardless of the opponent. I don't care if we don't have much of a passing game, at least it looks like they are trying to beat Iowa by changing the game plan. By doing the same thing over and over that does not work, it just makes me think these guys don't evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of this team and how to make adjustments to win using our strengths.

I think the biggest problem was that Iowa just has the better team. That's all.

Today we paid the price of playing with training-wheels on offense in the first four games.

The catch is that we needed training-wheels in order to win.

We're not very good.

I think the biggest problem was that Iowa just has the better team. That's all.

Obviously. They kicked our a$$. However, that was not supposed to happen and I am tired of watching MN get its a$$ kicked every sat. during Big 10 season. I guess there really is no reason to post, since that is going to be the refrain throughout this season of defeat.

I am not jumping on you. In fact, you are one of the most level headed posters on here. I just have no faith in Limegrover. To me, it was known we would not be able to run against Iowa and a good coach would have known that and adjusted the game plan. You see this all the time in the NFL. Instead, we stick to the same game plan and get shut out in the first half. You have to be able to adjust your game plan to your opponent. I do not see that with Limegrover. it is run, run, run, regardless of the opponent. I don't care if we don't have much of a passing game, at least it looks like they are trying to beat Iowa by changing the game plan. By doing the same thing over and over that does not work, it just makes me think these guys don't evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of this team and how to make adjustments to win using our strengths.

Yeah, that wasn't directed at you.

His offense is becoming very frustrating, no doubt about it.

Uh, no we don't.

Absolutely we have as much talent as this Iowa team. I don't think their RB starts for us and while their LBers are very good, they DBs are bad and their QB is just earning his wings and their WRs are not any better than ours. Even the Iowa fans know that they don't have much talent. If it makes you guys feel better about our staff to say that we don't have as much talent then OK, but that was not a very good Iowa team that just kicked our butts all over the field again this year.

Top Bottom