Why does Brewster keep making stuff up?

MNCH

Alumni Association Life Member
Reaction score
First it was the Illinois "win" at Iowa.

And now this from Sid's column in the Star Tribune today:

Talking about Julius Peppers: " 'He was one of the great high school football players and one of the great high school athletes ever in North Carolina,' Brewster said. 'He started for a Dean Smith-coached basketball team. And also started in football. That just doesn't happen. He's truly an amazing athlete.'

Brewster said football was Peppers' best sport, but when you can start for a Hall-of-Fame coach such as Smith, you have to be a pretty good basketball player."

A few small problems, Dean Smith retired after the 1996-97 season. Peppers didn't enroll into North Carolina until Fall of 1998. Yes, he played basketball for two years (1999-2001), BUT it was for coach Bill Guthridge.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the Brewster did NOT major in history.

OMG HUGE DEAL!!!!! BREWSTER MADE A MISTAKE!!! FIRE BREWSTER FOR NOT KNOWING THE HISTORY OF UNC HOOPS!!!

"I'm going to take a wild guess and say the Brewster did NOT major in history"

That could be a good guess. He strikes me as one of those guys who "eats, drinks and sleeps" football. He only cares about now and the future. I don't think that will ever change.

One other point on this matter: does anybody in the press ever use FACT CHECKERS before the print something? I also bet if they do, Brewster isn't going to get that benefit!:eek:

You clearly don't realize how the sid column works.

He strolls around town, yucks it up with his homies, and writes "jottings." These aren't factual investigations, they're conversations

Just take it for what it's worth. Some people might not care how many rebounds Dusty Rychart is getting in the Aussie Leagues. Some people may.

FWIW - I recall seeing that he majored in Political Science at Illinois. That's a pretty heady major for a college football major (unlike "communications" or "kinesiology" which seem to me as the most frequent player major).

MNCH,

have you checked to see whether he was awol duirng his time in the Air national guard, or whether he has was born on american soil?

because i'm sure these things, along with this disgraceful fabrication, are being resolved at a hawkeye or badger board somewhere.

Taken by itself, this is not a big deal. Added with things like 'misremembering' wins over Iowa that never happened and counting wins as a TE coach in your 'career coaching record' and this just adds another penny in the jar of Brew's reputation as a blow-hard.

He strolls around town, yucks it up with his homies, and writes "jottings." These aren't factual investigations, they're conversations

Just take it for what it's worth. Some people might not care how many rebounds Dusty Rychart is getting in the Aussie Leagues. Some people may.

You crack me up man!

Probably the same reason the sports writers don't check their "facts" before writing them?

Are we really gonna pretend that Sid's quote is accurate?

Not to defend Brewster, but for all Sid knows Dean Smith is still coaching at North Carolina.

I'll provide Coach with a bible next time he speaks.

:clap::clap::clap:

Actually, I've heard more then one former Star Trib employee talk about the poor guys that would have to correct Sid's facts before they went to print. It probably sent more then a few of them to an early grave.;)

Probably. George O'Leary got canned at ND for stuff not much worse then this.

O'Leary lied on his resume about college degress that he didn't have. Brewster's resume was accurate but he's "lied" about which year his Illinois team beat Iowa, adding all his "coaching" years together and now whether Julius Peppers played for Dean Smith as opposed to playing there while Smith was just the "unofficial" coach.

You really can't see the difference or you're just pissed-off that everyone isn't screaming for Brewster to be fired?

(Is this where you type "How do we KNOW that his resume was accurate?!:mad: The answer would be if MNCH was right about Brewster being the most-hated man at the U since Hitler we'd ALL know it!:eek:)

Living in NC & hating the heels I can tell u that Smith rteired but kept his office. While Guthridge was the coach it is not an exaggeration to say that Peppers played for Dean Smith.

It could be that he's referencing Dean Smith because he wants to get a public message to Seantrel. Best big man athlete in the state, could have gone anywhere, stayed home to play for a legendary basketball coach. Paints a pretty picture for Seantrel to stay home if you ask me.

who cares if Peppers played for Dean Smith or the coach right after him, the point is he played basketball and football at NC which is outstanding. I honestly read the article and thought nothing of it. Sometimes Brewster gets his facts wrong, so be it. The Brewster haters are really stretching. Julius Peppers did play both basketball and football. Illinois did beat Iowa, just not in the game Brewster was talking about. The points are peppers is a great athlete and the pink walls in Iowa does not mean you can't win.

O'Leary lied on his resume about college degress that he didn't have. Brewster's resume was accurate but he's "lied" about which year his Illinois team beat Iowa, adding all his "coaching" years together and now whether Julius Peppers played for Dean Smith as opposed to playing there while Smith was just the "unofficial" coach.

You really can't see the difference or you're just pissed-off that everyone isn't screaming for Brewster to be fired?

(Is this where you type "How do we KNOW that his resume was accurate?!:mad: The answer would be if MNCH was right about Brewster being the most-hated man at the U since Hitler we'd ALL know it!:eek:)

That or your sarcasm detector is broken. It was firmly tongue-in-cheek, lighten up. As I said above, this goes into the jar of pennies that makes Brew seem like a blow-hard to a lot of people, but it's not really a big deal.

And if I had a point it was that O'Leary got hosed. Who gave a rat's behind what degrees he had? He was hired based on what he'd done at Georgia Tech. I think he'd have done 10x better then Bob Davie and Tyrone Willingham, etc.

A co-worker brought in cookies earlier this week. My boss asked me the other day how many cookies were left after I grabbed a few. I said 5. There was actually 4. Obviously I didn't major in cookie counting. I thought I was going to get fired.

"Who gave a rat's behind what degrees he had?

Notre Dame did howeda and that's all that matters.

"Who gave a rat's behind what degrees he had?

Notre Dame did howeda and that's all that matters.

You're right. Do you think they may regret it in hindsight? Who knows.

A co-worker brought in cookies earlier this week. My boss asked me the other day how many cookies were left after I grabbed a few. I said 5. There was actually 4. Obviously I didn't major in cookie counting. I thought I was going to get fired.

My fault, I snatched one when you weren't looking.

After reading this, Brewster has to go!!! He's worse than George O'Leary. I mean what kind of scum-bag, zero would ever get his years mixed up? I just can't stand for it anymore. This is something Chuck Amato would NEVER do.

Top Bottom