Why can't Big Ten teams win the NCAA Tournament?

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Any theories?
It's been 20 years since Michigan St has won it.

ACC and Big East each won it several times.
SEC and Big Twelve have both won it since.

This year would seem like a prime year with the ACC stinking and the SEC being unremarkable.

How come despite the usually strength of the conference and strong coaching, they haven't been able to pull it off?

We simply haven't closed the deal. Since MSU won it:

ACC has 8: Duke (2001, 2010, 2015); North Carolina (2005, 2009, 2017); UVA (2019) Maryland (2002). They have 10 total championship game appearances.

Big East has 6: UConn (2004, 2011); Villanova (2016, 2018); Syracuse (2003); Louisville (2013). They have 6 total championship game appearances.

SEC has 3: Florida (2006, 20007), Kentucky (2012). They have 4 total championship game appearances.

Big 12 has 1: Kansas (2008). They have 4 championship game appearances.

AAC has 1: UConn (2014). That is the only appearance.

B1G has 0. They have made the championship 7 times. (Indiana 2002, Illinois 2005, Ohio State 2007, Michigan State 2009, Michigan 2013, Wisconsin 2015, Michigan 2018)

Pac 12 has 0. They have made the championship two times. (Arizona 2001, UCLA 2006).

My theory is that the Big Ten is such a grind that the teams are generally wore down. Every year, the Big Ten has the best teams and the toughest conference from top down and I think the nightly grind takes a toll on them and they just don't have the spry legs once March begins. There's something to be said for getting rid of the Big Ten Tournament if this continues.

The SEC and PAC 12 are traditionally weak but they tend to always overperform in the tournament. The ACC is tough, but they are generally more top heavy than anything. Well that's my theory.

I wanted Illinois to sit out the BIG tourney to rest & avoid Covid. I think they were already going to be a #1 or #2 seed anyways. BURNOUT!

A quick glance at the top 50 scorers in the NBA right now and I see two B1G names:

Victor Oladipo at #30 and Tim Hardaway Jr at #50.

Maybe the conference just isn't nearly as good as people think it is?

I think this hits on the main problem. The top NBA talent usually doesn't commit to a Big Ten school.

Big Ten coaches are consistently coaching up lower talent, then struggle when they meet the high end talent in the ACC, SEC, or Big 12.

I think this hits on the main problem. The top NBA talent usually doesn't commit to a Big Ten school.

Big Ten coaches are consistently coaching up lower talent, then struggle when they meet the high end talent in the ACC, SEC, or Big 12.

If the ACC was always better, why don't they dominate the Big Ten ACC Challenge?
Or is it just their top teams are always a bit better than the Big Ten's best?

The Big Ten has inferior talent. Look at the NBA all-stars.

We simply haven't closed the deal. Since MSU won it:

ACC has 8: Duke (2001, 2010, 2015); North Carolina (2005, 2009, 2017); UVA (2019) Maryland (2002). They have 10 total championship game appearances.

Big East has 6: UConn (2004, 2011); Villanova (2016, 2018); Syracuse (2003); Louisville (2013). They have 6 total championship game appearances.

SEC has 3: Florida (2006, 20007), Kentucky (2012). They have 4 total championship game appearances.

Big 12 has 1: Kansas (2008). They have 4 championship game appearances.

AAC has 1: UConn (2014). That is the only appearance.

B1G has 0. They have made the championship 7 times. (Indiana 2002, Illinois 2005, Ohio State 2007, Michigan State 2009, Michigan 2013, Wisconsin 2015, Michigan 2018)

Pac 12 has 0. They have made the championship two times. (Arizona 2001, UCLA 2006).

Can't we count the Maryland one now - the BIG10 Network showed highlights from Nebby's Dr. Tom championship teams.

Yep the big ten is overrated most years...they are good but no great teams usually. The years they've had potential great teams they've lost.

B1G has the second most championship game appearances of the Power 6 conferences since 2000. They just haven't had any great teams to get over the top. This seemed to be a year for it but Illinois choked. Maybe Michigan can do it if they get Livers back.

B1G is overrated, more traditional basketball, not as athletic as some of the top teams. I mean the tournament isn't over, Michigan could still go far, and at least two 10 seeds beat seeds

I wanted Illinois to sit out the BIG tourney to rest & avoid Covid. I think they were already going to be a #1 or #2 seed anyways. BURNOUT!
Would have lost to loyola anyway. Got outcoached and loyola is a team nobody wants to play. Illinois undiciplined.

My theory is that the Big Ten is such a grind that the teams are generally wore down. Every year, the Big Ten has the best teams and the toughest conference from top down and I think the nightly grind takes a toll on them and they just don't have the spry legs once March begins. There's something to be said for getting rid of the Big Ten Tournament if this continues.

The SEC and PAC 12 are traditionally weak but they tend to always overperform in the tournament. The ACC is tough, but they are generally more top heavy than anything. Well that's my theory.
Grind schmind. Been hearing that excuse for years. The BIG just doesn't get the athletes other conferences do. So when the BIG is playing with inferior athletes, the conference looks balanced and superior, because every game seems so competitive. As noted by others, BIG players are not tearing up the NBA.

Would have lost to loyola anyway. Got outcoached and loyola is a team nobody wants to play. Illinois undiciplined.
No
No, Loyola was the better team on March 21, 2021. Nothing more nothing less. If Baltimore beats the Yankees this year one time are they the better team? No. They'll be the better team that day. The spread was only 7.5. I can't count how many college games this year the home team was favored by more points than this and lost during the season. Minor upset.

The Big Ten has inferior talent. Look at the NBA all-stars.
This probably has something to do with Big Ten not winning championship in 20 years but doesn’t really apply to this year’s results. Ohio State, Purdue, and Illinois didn’t get beat by teams stacked with superior talent they got beat by teams that played fundamentally sound team basketball.

No, Loyola was the better team on March 21, 2021. Nothing more nothing less. If Baltimore beats the Yankees this year one time are they the better team? No. They'll be the better team that day. The spread was only 7.5. I can't count how many college games this year the home team was favored by more points than this and lost during the season. Minor upset.
Keep thinking that. Got outcoached. Loyola doesnt lose 9 out of 10 times to illinois from what I saw today. Point spread was 7.5. If vegas thought loyola couldnt win it would have been 12.5.

Year after year there is very little first-round NBA talent in the Big 10.

Essentially you're saying that Big Ten teams don't win because the conference is so tough. Sorry but that argument would solicit mostly giggles from fans of other conferences.

Essentially you're saying that Big Ten teams don't win because the conference is so tough. Sorry but that argument would solicit mostly giggles from fans of other conferences.
The big ten gets more national attend attention than they should... they're like the SEC in football only the SEC in football recruits better, sends more guys to the NFL, and wins championships

Any theories?

This year would seem like a prime year with the ACC stinking and the SEC being unremarkable.

How come despite the usually strength of the conference and strong coaching, they haven't been able to pull it off?
Existential question. I cannot fathom an answer.

Keep thinking that. Got outcoached. Loyola doesnt lose 9 out of 10 times to illinois from what I saw today. Point spread was 7.5. If vegas thought loyola couldnt win it would have been 12.5.
Your statement backs my point. 7.5 is not much. Porter Moser has been to the final four before so out coaching someone who hasn't done much in the tourney should not be a shock. I did not see Loyola play this year thus I didn't bet on the game. But mark this in your book: I was the first person here to recommend PM for the Minnesota job and almost everyone here squawked at the suggestion and that was about 5 weeks ago.

If the ACC was always better, why don't they dominate the Big Ten ACC Challenge?
Or is it just their top teams are always a bit better than the Big Ten's best?
The Big 10 was clearly better this year but the ACC has been better more years this century than not and their top teams significantly better even the last 10. UVA, Duke, UNC, Cuse. Louisville, FSU is better than our top 6. Suppose we are better in the bottom 4. Who cares. PLUS. the last 10 years they have had proven hall of fame coaches at least 6 of them. Big 10 does not have that. Better players, better coaches and cheating by at least Louisville and Duke. Those same schools believe MSU cheated to the high heavens.Then the fickle nature of a one and done tourney. This is why conference titles matter. Why they are better than a lucky two game weekend to get to the sweet 16. Look at CUSE. Illinois is a far better team, so is Purdue etc.. but in the eyes of people who only watch in March, they are one of the best 16. The title drought can still end this year.

Any theories?

Maryland won it in 2002.

Top Bottom