Why Brewster will be coach through 2011

TABinMO

Reaction score
Two reasons:

1. The UofMN will not spend the money to get a high profile football coach to Minnesota. It's more than just salary; it's the entire football budget which is not comparable to any high-profile football program in the country. A high profile coach will want a high profile budget to work with.
2. Regarding a lower profille ("up and coming") coach, that's a crap shoot at best and the decision makers will opt instead to give Brewster at least one more year rather than take such a gamble.

Also, the President is retiring and we have not announced a replacement. The A.D. position is still in limbo, is Maturi going to be extended or also retire? A new coach will want to be hired by the Prez and AD that will be here with him. To much uncertainty in the near future for the Gopher Football program.

Keeping him may be more expensive than firing him. We could see massive numbers of people not renewing season tickets. That's a lot of money.

You seem to be under the impression that a "big name coach" is a sure thing. It's as much of a crapshoot as anything. All these big name coaches started somewhere. Should we sit on our hands waiting for someone else's castoffs? Or we could get one of these good coaches before they've gone to a big name school to get a big enough reputation for us.

It's not a sure thing, but it's not a crapshoot. It's not random. If it were random, then you could just grab any coach, and expect the same results. Ohio State hired the coach out of Youngstown State, were they making a crapshoot, or did they have some evidence that he was a pretty good coach?

Just like coaches evaluate players, ADs can evaluate coaches. It is possible to figure out who just might be a good coach.

From what I've heard and read, Brewster is not well liked within the administration. I don't know what that means exactly. Is he not liked for how he runs the program or is it a more personality clash? Whatever it is, he's on thin ice. Add to that waning support among fans and it spells trouble for Brewster. If we finish the season with anything less than a bowl game, Brewster will be fired. They is no way around it. He has two loses to FCS schools in four years. No ones going to wait around for him to have three.

The reason he should return as coach is that we have a legit shot of winning 8+ games next year. The schedule is managable and we will be returning most of our starters. Our team is going to be very solid in 2011. We also are not as people like to think or convince themselves of this year.

Keeping him may be more expensive than firing him. We could see massive numbers of people not renewing season tickets. That's a lot of money.

Wrong. There is a core group of college football fans in Minnesota who will attend Gopher games win or lose. I am a perfect example of that kind of fan. I have been attending Gopher games through good years and bad years for many years. Where the hell are we going to go? The Vikings? Get real.

From what I've heard and read, Brewster is not well liked within the administration. I don't know what that means exactly. Is he not liked for how he runs the program or is it a more personality clash? Whatever it is, he's on thin ice.

Brewster is not liked in the administratlion because he is trying to win. Historically, U administrators tend to be ambivalent about winning because it means another team has to lose. It is kind of non-traveling kids soccer leagues. Welcome to the University of Minnesota.

The reason he should return as coach is that we have a legit shot of winning 8+ games next year. The schedule is managable and we will be returning most of our starters. Our team is going to be very solid in 2011. We also are not as people like to think or convince themselves of this year.

I agree that we have a more manageable schedule next year, although playing USC in L.A. is a heckuva way to kick things off. Frankly, I find it hard to find 8 wins on there:

Sat, Sep 03 Southern California at Los Angeles, Calif. GHETTO BEATING LOSS

Sat, Sep 10 New Mexico State TCF Bank Stadium WIN

Sat, Sep 17 Miami (Ohio) TCF Bank Stadium WIN (BETTER AS MY WIFE IS A MIAMI ALUMNA)

Sat, Sep 24 North Dakota State TCF Bank Stadium WIN, ALTHOUGH HISTORY SUGGESTS OTHERWISE

Sat, Oct 01 Michigan * at Ann Arbor, Mich. LOSS

Sat, Oct 08 Purdue * at West Lafayette, Ind. TOSSUP

Sat, Oct 22 Nebraska * TCF Bank Stadium LOSS

Sat, Oct 29 Iowa * TCF Bank Stadium TOSSUP

Sat, Nov 05 Michigan State * at East Lansing, Mich. LOSS

Sat, Nov 12 Wisconsin * TCF Bank Stadium TOSSUP

Sat, Nov 19 Northwestern * at Evanston, Ill. TOSSUP

Sat, Nov 26 Illinois * TCF Bank Stadium WIN

That's four solid W's. Assume we win half the TOSSUP's, and we finish with 6 wins. And that assumes that the lightbulb goes on for Gray QBwise, or Alipate grows up in a hurry. I'm also betting on the come that Kirkwood lives up to his potential and our D continues to improve.

The question is whether Brewster will be around to lead these guys. But even if we do bring in another coach, I don't see us taking a huge step backwards, assuming he doesn't make a kneejerk decision to install a new system that we don't have the personnel for. Which is partially how we got into the current situation.

Wrong. There is a core group of college football fans in Minnesota who will attend Gopher games win or lose. I am a perfect example of that kind of fan. I have been attending Gopher games through good years and bad years for many years. Where the hell are we going to go? The Vikings? Get real.

Perhaps there is a hardcore group of fans who will attend games win or lose. That doesn't matter, unless all season ticket holders are in this hardcore group. There is a serious risk of a serious reduction in the number of season ticket holders.

Perhaps there is a hardcore group of fans who will attend games win or lose. That doesn't matter, unless all season ticket holders are in this hardcore group. There is a serious risk of a serious reduction in the number of season ticket holders.

While I'll be there no matter what, we may see a 20% non-renewal rate if we continue to lose like this. Put this on top of the Fulmer Cup Bronze Medal and I think the administration's hand will be forced.

The stadium was not built for the Gophers to play before a half-empty stadium.

The stadium was not build for the Gophers to play before a half-empty stadium.

Correct me if I have this wrong but I don't think Gopher football has averaged less than 40,000 fans in many years. And that includes Mason's last three years when he was mailing it in and calling the students a bunch of drunks.

Take this to The Bank. Bruininks WILL NOT hire a new football coach this year. It would be real wrong for him to do that to whoever succeeds him as U president. Brewster will be back in 2011 like he should be. He has not been given enough time.

We've had a number of years where only the Big Name Opponents brought our numbers over a 40,000 average. In any case, 40,000 versus 50,000 is a lot of money left on the table.

To The Knee Jerk Reactionaries and To Those With Well Thought Out Arguments......

do you (as I previously asked in an earlier thread) have the patience to deal with another coaching change versus giving Brew another year?
My contention is that many of you do not have the patience to wait another 3-5 years for the next coach to make us the top flight program that you/we want.

If the next coach does not, in a couple of years, make us look a winning program (or after a bad loss) then here we go again! We will hear from you again won't we?
What will you say then?
Again, many of you don't have the patience!
The revolving door of coaches at Minnesota have proven it!

You say "try, try, try again until we get it right?" Really?... Do you have the patience?

In my opinion, unless the program does not show strong improvement during the remainder of this season (including a signature win) I, for one, have the patience (considering our history of revolving coaches, our new stadium, ticket sales, and everything else we can throw into the mix), to give Brewster and his staff one more year.

I have a reasonable about of patience. I do not, however, have an unreasonable amount of patience. The USD game wasn't *A* bad loss. It was the second time in four years of losing to a I-AA team, and then you have to add two other games where the team struggled with I-AA teams (SDSU and Montana State).

Maybe the revolving door of coordinators and coaching philosophies will somehow produce results. It doesn't matter whether you or I think that is likely. There are great hordes of people who have or will have already made up their minds, and a lot of them are the heavy hitters. I do think that a great finish could save his job, we'll see if that happens. It's not a question of patience.

Furthermore, if the U had made so many mistakes in firing coaches, then why have none of the coaches that we have fired gone on to be the HC at some other school? If we had made mistakes, surely some other school would have capitalized on our mistakes and hired up our former coaches.

This is not complicated

Let me clear this up for some of you.

At this point in time, as much as you THINK you know what is going to happen, NOBODY knows for certain if the coaching staff is going to remain for next year. Whether or not Brew gets fired is COMPLETELY 100% dependent on how the next 9 games go. Period.

And yet again, as much as it may pain some of you to hear this, it will take a SIGNIFICANT downward trend over the last nine games of this season for Brewster to NOT be back next year. Don't kid yourself.

Forget about wins and losses (for the most part). Brewster only gets fired if the decision makers determine that he has lost the locker room and the faith of the players. From everything I've heard and read, that is FAR FAR from the case. It seems quite the contrary. The players unanimously support him and furthermore, the recruits that the Gophers are entertaining continue to rave about Brewster and the coaching staff.

The defense is young and inexperienced. This is shouldn't be a shock to anybody. They've made some mistakes and when young and inexperienced defenders make mistakes, big plays happen. They've also shown a pretty hefty improvement over the last couple weeks.

Nobody on this board has any influence on what's going to happen. B!tch and whine all you want, this is the way it's going to be, AT LEAST through the remainder of the season. I laugh at the folks who are calling for or think a change is going to be made anytime before the end of the season. You're only kidding yourself.

This is going to sort itself out. It's not rocket science. If the team shows marked improvement between now and the end of the season, Brewster and his staff should and will be back. End of story. If things erode, the locker room implodes, players start to question the coaches publicly, etc. than Brewster should and will be fired. It's as simple as that.

Don't complicate things, you'll hurt your head. Might as well cheer for the team and enjoy the ride.

WOW. This makes my top ten list. 3 games in and gophersjufan is suggesting 8+ games next year. What in the world are you basing this flaming comment off of? Im not even going to start but everyone here would likely agree with me, you are way out of line and know very little about football if you truely believe this.

I think that all that matters is money not players and if they like their coach or not or if the coach has the faith of his players. If TCF is full of fans than Brewtser stays around if not he is gone. It's pretty simple if at the end of the year less people are coming to TCF and there is huge potential for season ticketholders to revolt and go away than Brewster will be gone. All that matters is money and if the Gophers are winning the money flows if not Brewster IS gone and we get a brand new coach. "Don't compicate your head" all that matters is money. You can bank on it!

WOW. This makes my top ten list. 3 games in and gophersjufan is suggesting 8+ games next year. What in the world are you basing this flaming comment off of? Im not even going to start but everyone here would likely agree with me, you are way out of line and know very little about football if you truely believe this.

Suggesting that we have a legit chance at that is right. Look at our defense....we have alot of young talented guys, plus Beal next year. Both the DL and LBs are both going to be deep and more experienced. Next year Cooper, Tinsley, Beal and Rallis are going to be a strong group. DBs will be average. Our RBs, WRs and TEs will all be back, and the step back at QB will be minimal. That is what i am basing that comment off of. The schedule is also more managable next year. I think next year is the real year to judge brew on. If he cant win 7 i hope he is gone, but i think he will do better then that.

I think that all that matters is money not players and if they like their coach or not or if the coach has the faith of his players. If TCF is full of fans than Brewtser stays around if not he is gone. It's pretty simple if at the end of the year less people are coming to TCF and there is huge potential for season ticketholders to revolt and go away than Brewster will be gone. All that matters is money and if the Gophers are winning the money flows if not Brewster IS gone and we get a brand new coach. "Don't compicate your head" all that matters is money. You can bank on it!

Much as I hate to admit it, I think this is about as close to the truth of the situation as I see in the thread.
Putting aside what I think SHOULD happen, the U's #1 priority is putting butts in the seats of their new stadium (or maybe #2, after keeping their good name intact, however they choose to interpret that).
Mason wasn't fired because he wasn't going to get us to a Rose Bowl, he was fired because the fans demanded it and the U guessed that they wouldn't be showing up to see his team next season (if that wasn't the case, he would have been gone years earlier). The same holds for Brew. If the season shakes out in a way that the fans can stomach, Brew will be back. If the Iowa game ends with chants of 'Fire Brewster,' I'd bet the U will oblige.

Let me clear this up for some of you.

At this point in time, as much as you THINK you know what is going to happen, NOBODY knows for certain if the coaching staff is going to remain for next year. Whether or not Brew gets fired is COMPLETELY 100% dependent on how the next 9 games go. Period.

And yet again, as much as it may pain some of you to hear this, it will take a SIGNIFICANT downward trend over the last nine games of this season for Brewster to NOT be back next year. Don't kid yourself.

Forget about wins and losses (for the most part). Brewster only gets fired if the decision makers determine that he has lost the locker room and the faith of the players. From everything I've heard and read, that is FAR FAR from the case. It seems quite the contrary. The players unanimously support him and furthermore, the recruits that the Gophers are entertaining continue to rave about Brewster and the coaching staff.

The defense is young and inexperienced. This is shouldn't be a shock to anybody. They've made some mistakes and when young and inexperienced defenders make mistakes, big plays happen. They've also shown a pretty hefty improvement over the last couple weeks.

Nobody on this board has any influence on what's going to happen. B!tch and whine all you want, this is the way it's going to be, AT LEAST through the remainder of the season. I laugh at the folks who are calling for or think a change is going to be made anytime before the end of the season. You're only kidding yourself.

This is going to sort itself out. It's not rocket science. If the team shows marked improvement between now and the end of the season, Brewster and his staff should and will be back. End of story. If things erode, the locker room implodes, players start to question the coaches publicly, etc. than Brewster should and will be fired. It's as simple as that.

Don't complicate things, you'll hurt your head. Might as well cheer for the team and enjoy the ride.

Downward trend over the next nine games? How do you go down from a loss to South Dakota?

It's amazing to me how much stupidity is still around on this board.

So? We'd have a legit shot of winning 8 games this year too if we (1) had a coach and (2) had a coach who knew how to use a QB.

Downward trend over the next nine games? How do you go down from a loss to South Dakota?

Don't argue with him Maroon he knows it all. After all he lectures all of us that we have no idea what will happen in regards to Brewster's future, which is true. However he then proceeds to tell all of us what exactly will or will not happen to Brewster and the conditions around it. He has the definitive answers.

I know what you mean, it wasn't there and suddenly you posted and there was all this stupidity...

LOL@the "wait til' next year" lines ALREADY?

Brewster is gone after this season barring a miracle...get over it...

We'll be better off hiring a REAL coach...

No doubt. Getting my vote for post of the year.

Granted, looking into the future is not easy. Spelling junior high level words like 'truly' should be easy if you are going to go out of your way to question someone else's intellect though.

In addition to Bruinicks/Matui's state of limbo, the other thing Brew has going for him is the schedule next year. I believe we have not only Iowa AND Wisconsin at home (has that ever happened before?) but also Nebraska. That's pretty much a home-run and probably trumps this year's USC-PSU-OSU-IOWA 4-pack. Chances are they will be able to come close to selling out no matter how disgruntled the fan base actually is.

That said, if we end up 2-10 or 3-9 I think the level of venom/apathy from the fan base will still force thier hand. I'm sorry but the simple fact that Bruinicks is retiring does not relieve the Adminsitration from doing its job. By that logic they shouldn't give Tubby his contract extension either because what if the new Prez wants to fire him? (Of course they haven't given it to him yet, Maturi's only been 'working' on it since March, but that's another story.)

Two reasons:

1. The UofMN will not spend the money to get a high profile football coach to Minnesota. It's more than just salary; it's the entire football budget which is not comparable to any high-profile football program in the country. A high profile coach will want a high profile budget to work with.
gamble.

If Brewster does not work out whether this year or next, the U is going to have to spend the money on a high profile coach or off./def. coordinator or we are going to continue down this same road year after year. I don't care what the excuses are if they are not willing to do that they are going to get what they pay for and that is a mediocre program at best.

Top Bottom