Why are we looking at 0 and 2 star players?

Pretty goofy comments, I think.

Rumors about transferring aren't the same as actually doing so. Ahanmisi and Osenieks are decent replacements for the 2 late transfers.

Hollins was recruited by many Southern schools and is well regarded as a prospect.

Eliason is 2-time Gatorade POY in Nebraska. Maurice Walker was Mr. Basketball in Ontario and helped lead his Prep school team to a national Prep title this year.

Recruited by southern schools? I don't even know what thats supposed to mean. Are southern schools better offers than northern?

It's easy to just throw around the 2 times POY. But you're not putting enough emphasis on the state. It's Nebraska.

And what makes you say Osenieks and Maverick are good replacements? Have you seen them play before? Because rivals and scout apparently haven't.

I hope all these guys succeed. (especially Oto after the youtube video) but none of them are big time recruits and if one or two of them hit I will be ecstatic.

Pretty goofy comments, I think.

Rumors about transferring aren't the same as actually doing so. Ahanmisi and Osenieks are decent replacements for the 2 late transfers.

Hollins was recruited by many Southern schools and is well regarded as a prospect.

Eliason is 2-time Gatorade POY in Nebraska. Maurice Walker was Mr. Basketball in Ontario and helped lead his Prep school team to a national Prep title this year.

yea obviouslty rumors don't actually mean that they do but if you start hearing rumors you als starting creating backu-up plans...which is my point. no good players from nebraska...dont kid yourself. Your love for Tubby is clouding your judgement. We pay him a lotta cash to win tourney games, he hasnt done so, and it doesnt look like he is closer to doing so. Also Walker is a project, so is Ellison, Maverick, Hollins, and Oto.

yea obviouslty rumors don't actually mean that they do but if you start hearing rumors you als starting creating backu-up plans...which is my point. no good players from nebraska...dont kid yourself. Your love for Tubby is clouding your judgement. We pay him a lotta cash to win tourney games, he hasnt done so, and it doesnt look like he is closer to doing so. Also Walker is a project, so is Ellison, Maverick, Hollins, and Oto.

All recruits are prospects. Walker was recruited (and offered) by several big-time programs.

Recruited by southern schools? I don't even know what thats supposed to mean. Are southern schools better offers than northern?

It's easy to just throw around the 2 times POY. But you're not putting enough emphasis on the state. It's Nebraska.

And what makes you say Osenieks and Maverick are good replacements? Have you seen them play before? Because rivals and scout apparently haven't.

I hope all these guys succeed. (especially Oto after the youtube video) but none of them are big time recruits and if one or two of them hit I will be ecstatic.

SEC schools then, like that better?

Oto has good international experience. Ahanmisi has good experience, too (as 5th year Prep).

Rivals and Scout have people who are 0-0 as college coaches. They can't see everybody.

SEC schools then, like that better?

Oto has good international experience. Ahanmisi has good experience, too (as 5th year Prep).

Rivals and Scout have people who are 0-0 as college coaches. They can't see everybody.

FOT, what can you tell us about Oto's international experience? When his name first was posted on here you said it was an April Fool's Joke (I think it was April 1 that we first heard his name) and now you tout "good international experience" - do you have any links or background to share? Thanks.

Go Gophers!!

FOT, what can you tell us about Oto's international experience? When his name first was posted on here you said it was an April Fool's Joke (I think it was April 1 that we first heard his name) and now you tout "good international experience" - do you have any links or background to share? Thanks.

Go Gophers!!

The reference to April Fools Joke was in relation to Ivan Renko being announced as IU recruit on April 1st years ago.

Osenieks played (like Devoe, not on same team) in Euro Under 18 championships and will play in Euro Under 20 competition this summer.

Tons of underevaluated recruits end up being fantastic players.

Butler's Gordon Hayward and Shelvin Mack were both considered 2-star recruits by Scout coming out of high school.

These scouting services don't have time to evaluate everyone out there. If Tubby was smart enough to find someone the scouting services didn't, more power to him.

Another possible reason that Tubby is apparently reaching for scraps and hoping to find a diamond in the rough rather than banking the scholarships for next year is that perhaps Tubby doesn't plan on staying here for the long haul. If that is the case, there wouldn't be much incentive for for him to bank schollies for a future team that doesn't include him as the coach - why not take a flyer on an overlooked prospect who could turn out to be a late bloomer that would help the team this season while he's still the coach?

I hope this scenario doesn't play out and Tubby stays as the Gophers coach for many years, but the talent reach does make me slighly suspicious even though there were extenuating circumstances for the spring signings.

Even now, they still have one open scholarship that will be banked if Royce doesn't get it. I don't see any of the recruits as terrible reaches other then Maverick, and it would have been foolish and/or reckless to go into next season with the possibility of Devoe Joseph being the only PG on the entire roster. If they fill this last scholarship with yet another reach player, then I'll believe your theory might carry some weight.

PCs situation is unfortunate, no doubt. But to blame the mediocrity of the last two recruits on unintended circumstances is bs. You recruit as a backup. You don't throw all your eggs in one basket. We knew there was a good chance White would never play months ago. Theres been rumors about Cobbs transfering for months also and you have to think they knew about it before we did. Also, this wouldn't be a problem if we already had a couple studs coming in. But all 5 recruits are the same, projects.

Even if he knew a few months ago, entering the game for highly touted recruits in January or February isn't exactly gonna net you a whole lot. We are still Minnesota, and we are still BUILDING a program here. Maybe if Duke, UNC, or Kansas came knocking on a recruits door that late, they could net him, but we are not in position for that yet. Recruiting as a backup? How are you gonna go to a recruit who has plenty of good options, and say, "Hey, you know, I really don't have a scholly here, but I think I might later on cause I think some of my players are gonna transfer, so if you just hold tight while all the other kids take scholly spots on other teams, I might need you" and think that will convince him to join your program? You recruit to fill your scholarships and then you move on to the next class. That wasn't a problem until recently. The two latest recruits are replacing the two late transfers. PC basically was replaced by Oto, and now Cobbs is gonna be replaced by Maverick most likely. I don't even know if they're filling Royce's this year. As much as Cobbs was talking about being homesick, there are a billion players who do the same thing, and never leave. And add in Nolen screwing up academically in December, and you are really up against it.

On the projects note, yes, there are a lot of projects in this class, but seven months ago, that was perfect for where we stood. We appeared very deep, talented, and had (and still have) some HIGHLY touted recruits on the team in Rodney, Devoe, and Ralph. We lost the "big" one with Royce and that was quite a blow, yes. It changed the entire outlook. I don't think you understand how difficult it is to just lose two players late like that and then jump up a month or two before spring signing and try to land some great recruits.

Butler's Gordon Hayward and Shelvin Mack were both considered 2-star recruits by Scout coming out of high school.

They were also priority recruits that committed before the spring.

Even now, they still have one open scholarship that will be banked if Royce doesn't get it.

If they fill this last scholarship with yet another reach player, then I'll believe your theory might carry some weight.

Ben Burst would not be a reach player and could still fit in as backup SG. Other than Ben and Royce I hope Tubby banks it for next year.

Even if he knew a few months ago, entering the game for highly touted recruits in January or February isn't exactly gonna net you a whole lot. We are still Minnesota, and we are still BUILDING a program here. Maybe if Duke, UNC, or Kansas came knocking on a recruits door that late, they could net him, but we are not in position for that yet. Recruiting as a backup? How are you gonna go to a recruit who has plenty of good options, and say, "Hey, you know, I really don't have a scholly here, but I think I might later on cause I think some of my players are gonna transfer, so if you just hold tight while all the other kids take scholly spots on other teams, I might need you" and think that will convince him to join your program? You recruit to fill your scholarships and then you move on to the next class. That wasn't a problem until recently. The two latest recruits are replacing the two late transfers. PC basically was replaced by Oto, and now Cobbs is gonna be replaced by Maverick most likely. I don't even know if they're filling Royce's this year. As much as Cobbs was talking about being homesick, there are a billion players who do the same thing, and never leave. And add in Nolen screwing up academically in December, and you are really up against it.

On the projects note, yes, there are a lot of projects in this class, but seven months ago, that was perfect for where we stood. We appeared very deep, talented, and had (and still have) some HIGHLY touted recruits on the team in Rodney, Devoe, and Ralph. We lost the "big" one with Royce and that was quite a blow, yes. It changed the entire outlook. I don't think you understand how difficult it is to just lose two players late like that and then jump up a month or two before spring signing and try to land some great recruits.

obviously you don't tell them your waiting but the odds of one of those three not being around were high. You build relationships just in case.

Please stop this kind of posts

Folks, please stop this negative stuff. We just recruited 5 players who should be welcomed to our team with smiles not with all these crazy posts. It is over. Recruiting is done and hopefully we can add Royce to this group too. Lets support our players for who they are. Last March madness was a great trourny to teach many people that in today's basketball world, stars mean nothing. We just need some players who can fit into our coach's system. There is nothing that we can do about Royce, Al, Trevor, Paul, and Justin's departure (if Al and Trevor won't come back). Lets move on with what we have and hopefully get better every day.

Go Gophers

Walker is a project? What does that mean? I don't think schools like the ones who offered him give out scholarships to many projects.

I think you're reading into the southern schools comment way too much. It means exactly what it says. The schools who offered him are located in the south. That doesn't imply that they're better. I'm not sure where you got that from. Btw, one of those schools was Memphis. It looks like they turned out with a pretty good class, so if they offered him, he's probably not too bad.

+1 People can't figure out that you can't expect much higher rated players that we are getting this late when all of those scholarships opened up. You also don't just bank a bunch of scholarships and leave the team with few players to practice with.

Tons of underevaluated recruits end up being fantastic players.

These scouting services don't have time to evaluate everyone out there. If Tubby was smart enough to find someone the scouting services didn't, more power to him.

Do you know who else were 2 stars or lower? Jamal Abu Shamala, Travis Busch, and Jonathan Williams. You can rip on the star system all you want but the guys who evaluate prospects for a living are right more often than not. Just because there are a couple here and there that turn into good players doesn't mean an entire recruiting class full of them shouldn't be criticized.

Walker is listed as having offers from Pitt (although I guess their scholarship situation was a little fuzzy), UConn, A & M, Kansas, and Marquette. I'm guessing you already knew that though, so maybe you were confused about my point. I found it interesting that someone would call Walker a project. Considering how highly ranked Walker is and the reputation of the schools that offered him, I can't imagine he would be considered a project.

Walker is listed as having offers from Pitt (although I guess their scholarship situation was a little fuzzy), UConn, A & M, Kansas, and Marquette. I'm guessing you already knew that though, so maybe you were confused about my point. I found it interesting that someone would call Walker a project. Considering how highly ranked Walker is and the reputation of the schools that offered him, I can't imagine he would be considered a project.

No, I didn't know that. When did those offers come in? I was under the impression that his offer list was complete bs and we were his only real offer.

Walker is going to play day one, he will be in the rotation with Iverson, Sampson, and hopefully Mbwake. I think Osenieks see's some court time from day one also. Carters transfer really created the need for someone that can play on the wing.

Are you just messing with me in every comment you make now?

No, I didn't know that. When did those offers come in? I was under the impression that his offer list was complete bs and we were his only real offer.

With your sarcasm about Walker. Obviously you knew about his offers but I don't really understand why you asked the original question.

I wasn't being sarcastic. He really didn't have those offers. I'm fairly certain that Minnesota was his only offer.

Top Bottom