Whose Coming Back for 2021-2022?

Which Non-Walk on Players suit up for the Maroon and Gold Next Year?

• Total voters

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Who is returning from this year's squad?

Per the question, I left off walk on players, Jarvis since he already bailed and Curry as I read somewhere he is hanging them up.

The three most critical to me are Robbins, Tre and Ihnen - the later 2 have major upside for me for me, they just need to take the next steps.

Unlimited selections.

Last edited:

Robbins
Williams
Mitchell
Gach
Kalscheur
Freeman
Ihnen
Gabe

Last edited:

Robbins maybe being the most unknown for me. with the loaded 2022 class i hope they dont grab too many low end freshman to fill spots but rather go the transfer/grad transfer route.

My guess is Gabe, who is familiar with Coach Johnson, and Johnson who stated he wants to remain a Gopher. But that was prior to Pitino leaving.

It would really be interesting to know if the Gophers reaction to the hire after their initial exposure to Coach Johnson.

My guess is both Carr and Mash are gone which I am ok with. Dad Mash prob wants a proven Coach for his son and we know about Carrs goals. I think it will speak volumes if the other players stay

No to Carr, Mash, Johnson and Mitchell. Total guess of course.

Just read on 247 that Mash said he doesn't plan on staying. Not definitive but not promising (if you're in the camp that wants him back).

I have no idea who stays but I am really intrigued by the potential of Mitchell if he can put on muscle and develop a better handle. I really like how he shot the ball in limited time he played...for a big guy, man I think he might be a keeper.

I listed everyone who hasn't put his name in the transfer portal yet because I think it is more likely than not that a player would have done that already if he had a strong desire to leave.

Just read on 247 that Mash said he doesn't plan on staying. Not definitive but not promising (if you're in the camp that wants him back).

Why do so many people have such a hard time believing what Mashburn has done and what he has said? He placed his name in the transfer portal and he said he's leaving. I think that is pretty good evidence of his intention.

If I were a new coach, I wouldn't beg him to come back, especially not with this transfer market. Indulging one player like that (who frankly doesn't deserve it - he wasn't the freshman Jordan Murphy after all) probably wouldn't look good to the others.

Unfortunate but not surprising. I imagine Larranaga would love him to come home.

Why do so many people have such a hard time believing what Mashburn has done and what he has said? He placed his name in the transfer portal and he said he's leaving. I think that is pretty good evidence of his intention.

If I were a new coach, I wouldn't beg him to come back, especially not with this transfer market. Indulging one player like that (who frankly doesn't deserve it - he wasn't the freshman Jordan Murphy after all) probably wouldn't look good to the others.
Not sure if you're referring to me or not, but I don't have a hard time believing it. When Pitino took the job at NM I immediately thought there goes Mashburn. Not to them per se, just in general. Just posted because he was one of the options from the poll.

Not sure if you're referring to me or not, but I don't have a hard time believing it. When Pitino took the job at NM I immediately thought there goes Mashburn. Not to them per se, just in general. Just posted because he was one of the options from the poll.

I was responding to the wording of your post that seemed to take pains to reassure some that these statements and actions aren't definitive. I wasn't making any presumptions about what you believe personally. I just don't see the point of longing for someone who doesn't want to be here.

Honestly - if Johnson can find transfers who are better than players on the current roster, do it.

I do not see a single star player or all-conference level player on the Gophers roster, outside of Robbins and Brandon Johnson.

every other player on the roster is a question mark - with some ability but also some drawbacks. just because Ihnen had a few good minutes in this game, or Mitchell hit a couple of shots in garbage time, that does not mean they can or should be main rotational players on a decent team.

I can see Gach staying just because he's a MN kid, and was hampered by injuries. at least Gach has a track record of producing at a D1 school (just not at MN).

everyone else is just a body. to borrow a baseball team, they are 'replacement players.' meaning average. to improve the program, the Gophers need wins over replacement - meaning performance that is better than average.

Gach may have been hurt this year ... but I don't think it was before the first Illinois game (debacle)? And he got benched in that one, he was so bad.

Hope he puts it together for next season. Agree he stays, he came home to be closer to home. Unless he wants to go to Mankato.

Gabe is a great defender, as we found out. If he could just get his shot back. Well, there you have it ... that was the whole thing, in the first place. If he can find his shot, he could be again.

If it is true that Fox, Battle and Race could all be in the mix next year, there is no way Liam, Johnson, Ihnen, Mitchell and Freeman will all be on the team.
Sure hope some guards from Minnesota enter the transfer portal :)

Need one good point guard.

Eric Harris/Arriel McDonald/Daryl Mitchell type.
That's some list. Daryl Mitchell was incredible for the Gophers. DeAndre Mathieu as a holdover would be acceptable. Probably asking too much to expect Nate Mason or Andre Hollins.

to borrow a baseball team, they are 'replacement players.' meaning average. to improve the program, the Gophers need wins over replacement - meaning performance that is better than average.
This, sadly (to me), is what college basketball has become. Good year from Garcia at Marquette? Transfer! Not playing as much as you hoped? Transfer! Any adversity faced? Transfer! Too portable for my tastes, but it was nice knowing that this allowed Pitino to piece together enough of a roster every Spring.

If it is true that Fox, Battle and Race could all be in the mix next year, there is no way Liam, Johnson, Ihnen, Mitchell and Freeman will all be on the team.
Sure hope some guards from Minnesota enter the transfer portal :)
None of those compete for center- which is Liam and Freeman. No way they get/take all three. Mitchell and Ihnen..I'd keep rather than take more polished 1 year players- unless Ben thinks they can't be developed to what he wants. I'd rather develop guys than just try to scramble to be 7-11 in the B1G. Pitino already tried that.

None of those compete for center- which is Liam and Freeman. No way they get/take all three. Mitchell and Ihnen..I'd keep rather than take more polished 1 year players- unless Ben thinks they can't be developed to what he wants. I'd rather develop guys than just try to scramble to be 7-11 in the B1G. Pitino already tried that.
1 year players actually work well in our situation. Need to keep schollys open for the 2022 class.

I have no idea who stays but I am really intrigued by the potential of Mitchell if he can put on muscle and develop a better handle. I really like how he shot the ball in limited time he played...for a big guy, man I think he might be a keeper.
I agree, he's the one guy long term I hope they are able to keep.

My guess is Gabe, who is familiar with Coach Johnson, and Johnson who stated he wants to remain a Gopher. But that was prior to Pitino leaving.

It would really be interesting to know if the Gophers reaction to the hire after their initial exposure to Coach Johnson.

My guess is both Carr and Mash are gone which I am ok with. Dad Mash prob wants a proven Coach for his son and we know about Carrs goals. I think it will speak volumes if the other players stay

Top Bottom