Who's your short list?

MNfootballfan

Reaction score
What is your somewhat realistic short list for the head football job at the University of Minnesota?

Mine:
1) Kevin Sumlin
2) Craig Bohl
3) PJ Fleck
4) Les Miles
5) Gus Bradley

Tier 1:
Sumlin
Miles

Tier 2:
WF Coach
Frost

Tier 3:
Fleck

I just don't know. Honestly I'd have to take a while and even interview these guys.

For some reason Coyle hasn't asked me to interview anyone (That's strike two for you Coyle!).

Les and PJ I might even be excited about. I don't think Les is coming though. Not sure about PJ.

Bohl, ok sure.

There are some misc names that are good prospects but I worry the fanbase is teetering on collapse again and a punt / prospect type hire will just be more of a vacuum to add to the collapse. Someone needs to show up fast to stabilize the players, recruits, and fanbase....

I just don't know.....

In the end whomever it is I will support.

If they win, everything will be better.

Interesting the the same Agent (Trace Armstrong, former Bear) represents all these guys. Could he be working with Texas A&M to get Sumlin here, so Kelly can go to A&M? He also represents Les Miles.

Interesting the the same Agent (Trace Armstrong, former Bear) represents all these guys. Could he be working with Texas A&M to get Sumlin here, so Kelly can go to A&M? He also represents Les Miles.

Sumlin has to get fired to get paid though.... agent will want that first.

Seriously? Kelly, Miles and Sumlin? Odd. I guess they can't exactly feel Sumlin out without Miles knowing he's 2nd choice then.

1) Ken Niumatalolo
2) Ken Niumatalolo

Sumlin has to get fired to get paid though.... agent will want that first.

Keep in mind that whatever he earns at his next job after A&M is offset against what they pay him, whether it's here or making $4 million as Alabama's OC. So unless he's going to sit home and count the $, he's not giving up $5 million/year from A&M. Just the difference between that and what we pay him, which might be $0.

Keep in mind that whatever he earns at his next job after A&M is offset against what they pay him, whether it's here or making $4 million as Alabama's OC. So unless he's going to sit home and count the $, he's not giving up $5 million/year from A&M. Just the difference between that and what we pay him, which might be $0.

That is interesting, we could pay him literally $100,000 for the length of his current contract and then up it when he is off of A&M's books?

Yup, usually that is how it works.

Still would be on top of our pay... nobody wants to pass that up.

That is interesting, we could pay him literally $100,000 for the length of his current contract and then up it when he is off of A&M's books?

Theoretically, but it never happens that way and I'm guessing there's language that they can't take less than market value or something similar. FYI-I don't specifically know if that's the case with Sumlin, but buy-outs almost always contain offset if the person finds similar employment.

My realistic rankings:

1. Fleck. I'll admit, I think he's the next big thing. Not worried about him jumping to a bigger program after a few years because it would mean he did well here.

2. Miles. He's older but he has quite the track record. I dunno if he's up for the challenge of coming here but I do think he could be successful from day one.

3. Aranda. Another rising star, but no HC experience. Is making a ton of money at LSU to be coordinator though, so I don't know how realistic it is and if he has HC aspirations in college or is gunning for the NFL.

4. Venables. Is he realistic? Maybe, maybe not. He's one hell of a football coach though. Defense up the wazoo. No HC experience though which is tough for me.

5. Frost. Not as excited about him, but could see it. Took a dreadful UCF to a bowl this year in his only year as a HC.

Would be quite happy with any of the above. Wouldn't be as happy with Bohl, or NDSU's guy, or Schiano or Bradley.

Unrealistic guys for me include Sumlin, Chip Kelly.

Derek Mason. Had a rocket ride up the ranks. Vikings assistant DB's coach, Stanford DB Coach, Stanford DC, Vanderbilt HC, all in about 5 years. I'm guessing it wasn't because he's terrible. Has experience at Stanford/Vandy for the more academically inclined. Worked (although briefly) under Harbaugh and Shaw.

edit. The only way we could get him would be with a whole pile of $$$. His current salary is $2 million.

Not that I'm saying I want him or that he would even be seriously considered, but Charlie Strong did (try anyway) to clean up the culture at Texas. Disipline could be a factor in the coaching choice.

Again, doubtful. If the coaching search drags out, he could be considered. That is assuming he'd even give Minnesota a second chance.

Not that I'm saying I want him or that he would even be seriously considered, but Charlie Strong did (try anyway) to clean up the culture at Texas. Disipline could be a factor in the coaching choice.

Again, doubtful. If the coaching search drags out, he could be considered. That is assuming he'd even give Minnesota a second chance.

He got hired by USF already.

So far haven't seen one coach that will touch this job right now on this list. Except maybe Mike Grant, but even he's smart enough not to play for Coyle and Kaler.

So far haven't seen one coach that will touch this job right now on this list. Except maybe Mike Grant, but even he's smart enough not to play for Coyle and Kaler.

Agree. Just thinking of guys who I would try first if I were charged with the job. No shame in being told no.

Realistic options
1. P.J Fleck (WMU HC)
2. Dave Aranda (LSU DC)
3. Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma OC)

Unrealistic
1. Kevin Sumlin
2. Les Miles

Coyle will most likely hire an offensive minded coach due to our stagnant offense in recent years and in his statement he said we need to see tickets and points sell tickets. I know the situation here is messy but it is still a mid tier B1G program in a major metro area with brand new facilities coming. I personally would rather have a few bad years followed by the potential of some special teams after that than years of mediocracy.

Hey - Idea - can someone put up a countdown clock on the site?

Start counting from the time Claeys was fired, and keep the clock running until a new coach is hired.

like "The Gophers have gone xxxx days/hours without a head coach."

I think that would be amusing. Just don't have the technical know-how to do it.

Coyle can't handle Miles---he has bigger fish in mind anyway, he is getting paid and looking at ND in a year....Fleck seems like a flake, his sideline demeanor against whisky was borderline f@99y.

1. Sumlin
2. Kliemen
3. Aranda
4. Frost
5. Fleck
My guess is Fleck want's out of WMU and see's this as his chance to cash in. So we will end up Puke Jug Fleck.

What has Sumlin done to be at the top of everyone's list? He had one good year at A&M and that was due to him starting a coke head who got lucky on almost every play. It has been down hill since then.

Top Bottom