Who's Next?

howeda7

Reaction score
I have tried to remain neutral on Brewster until the season is over. In the end I must come down on the side that says it's time for him to go. It's not the final record that bothers me, it's the coaching and level of play therein. We have looked nothing short of awful in 6 of the last 7 games on offense with the exception of the 2nd half against Illinois. The one exception against MSU was marred by penalties and additional poor coaching decisions. I don't think another year will make Brewster or his staff any better, and his recruiting is not good enough to compensate for the piss-poor coaching. A move that will be made eventually should be made immediately. With that, my short list of realistic (i.e. not Dungy) replacements:

1. Tommy Tubberville, former Auburn coach. Obtainable? Maybe. Affordable? Probably not.

2. David Cutcliff, current Duke coach. He's turned around a truly awful program and wasn't so bad at Ole Miss either. Obtainable? Probably. Affordable? Ditto.

3. Randy Edsall, current UConn coach. He's done a nice job. Frankly, I'm not sure MN is a better job, but it probably is.

I think there's a drop-off after this. Names like Al Golden, Turner Gill and Charlie Strong come into play. After the experience with Brew, I strongly favor an existing 1-A head coach.

It's going to be very tough to get someone decent to come here because we still have no established program that emits anything close to greatness which a good coach wants and needs because a good coach will not want to rebuild, per say. Our only new selling point is the stadium which can lure talent to play here if you are a good enough recruiter. However, lets not forget you need to be able to coach too.;)

I agree with your post

Brewster and Fisch are in way over their heads. Brewster is a good recruiter but his coaching and lack of player development is very obvious. You can put all the 4 and 5 * players on the field you want (see Notre Dame) but if you can't develop them and get there hea don staright you won't win. Agree with your coaching candidates but one name I would like to hear is Steve Mariucci, he is from MI and has alot of coaching experience. I gave him a pass on the whole detroit thing, with Millen was there everyone was gonna fail.

It's going to be very tough to get someone decent to come here because we still have no established program that emits anything close to greatness which a good coach wants and needs because a good coach will not want to rebuild, per say. Our only new selling point is the stadium which can lure talent to play here if you are a good enough recruiter. However, lets not forget you need to be able to coach too.;)

Regardless of our recent past, we're still in the Big 10 and we have a beautiful new stadium. I don't think I put any pie-in-the-sky candidates on that list (hey maybe Bob Stoops has had enough in Norman? J/K) One guy is unemployed and the other two are the Duke and UConn. Smaller schools with smaller stadiums that only really care about basketball. I think all of them can be gotten with the right offer.

Regardless of our recent past, we're still in the Big 10 and we have a beautiful new stadium. I don't think I put any pie-in-the-sky candidates on that list (hey maybe Bob Stoops has had enough in Norman? J/K) One guy is unemployed and the other two are the Duke and UConn. Smaller schools with smaller stadiums that only really care about basketball. I think all of them can be gotten with the right offer.

I suppose your point can be proven if you look right across the street with Tubby Smith.

I suppose your point can be proven if you look right across the street with Tubby Smith.

Somewhat. Minnesota is one of the 30 best basketball jobs in America. It is NOT one of the 30 best football jobs. But it is probably better then UConn and it is definatly better then Duke.

For everything that Mike Shanahan has done to destroy our program with his recommendations, I think he owes us one. He should come and clean up the mess he's made.

For everything that Mike Shanahan has done to destroy our program with his recommendations, I think he owes us one. He should come and clean up the mess he's made.

Please for the love of God no more NFL hires.......

Haha. I was just saying the same thing while watching the game today. He's at least moderately interesting in the college game as he almost went to Florida when Zook got the job. That said, he will have his choice of $5 million/year NFL jobs this off-season, so I don't see him taking a couple million to go back to the college game.

Brewster and Fisch are in way over their heads. Brewster is a good recruiter but his coaching and lack of player development is very obvious. You can put all the 4 and 5 * players on the field you want (see Notre Dame) but if you can't develop them and get there hea don staright you won't win. Agree with your coaching candidates but one name I would like to hear is Steve Mariucci, he is from MI and has alot of coaching experience. I gave him a pass on the whole detroit thing, with Millen was there everyone was gonna fail.

That's a good call. I don't remember hearing his name associated with the Michigan State job though, so I have doubts he'd be interested. Mariucci and Izzo are both from Iron Mountain, MI in the UP and close, so you'd think East Lansing would have been a natural fit if he had any interest in returning to the NCAA.

In jest or not, please no more NFL guys. NFL and college game are two different animals. Pete Carroll is the exception to the rule.

Charlie Strong should not be mentioned as a candidate. This program needs a PROVEN head coach. We took a chance with Brewster based on his recruiting and it hasn't worked out. He IS a very good recruiter but he and his staff have not done a good job preparing teams or coaching on game day. I like the guy, i think he has the right intentions, but he hasn't grown as a HC in his 3 years here.

Hard to believe people on this board (including me) were worried about losing Brew to a better progam last year when we were 7-1. My how quickly things change in just a year!

Since he is not getting fired this year, is it wrong to just hope that Brewster is the guy and will get it done? The other option is to go through the entirety of next season with a terrible attitude. At least you could have the loser "I told you so" mentality.

I assume this thread is cathartic for you, as the promise of greener pastures provided by a new coach gives you something to believe in. Well, time to wake up. Whether we like it or not, Brewster will be the coach next year. I, for one, hope he does well and wins lots of games. It might happen and it might not, but to wish for anything else is impossible for me.

though I believe brewster will still be the coach next year if there is a coaching change I would have to believe the following would all be considered in no particular order.

Skip Holtz
Kevin Sumlin
Turner Gill
Al Golden
David Cutcliff

I doubt any big called "big name" coach would take this job. I would think if there is a change it would be a current head coach at a lower level job or conference then minnesota. I don't see UConn's coach wanting to make a move from there to here.

Guys Cutliff is 5-6 and HAS BEAT NO ONE better than Duke. All his wins are too teams below him. our NU win is a better win than Duke has,

This is one of the worst threads ever.

Top Bottom