Who would you pick to replace our OC/QB coach and why? (My pick: Mack Leftwich)

Taji34

Reaction score
So, I was going to try to compile a list of potential OC/QB coaches to pursue to replace our current OC/QB coach. That proved to be WAY more effort than I wanted to put into it so instead I'm going to open it up to the board to list who they think we should go after and why.

A couple of ground rules though:
  1. Be realistic. We probably aren't going to be able to poach an OC from a current top 25 school, nor would we probably be able to poach someone from another P5 school.
  2. They will still operate as OC AND QB coach. In my short stint trying to compile a list, I realized this is VERY common. Plus it makes it easier as we don't have to shuffle around other coaches.
My pick? Mack Leftwich, who is the current offensive coordinator at Texas State. His coaching history is as follows:

2016: UTEP – Student Assistant & Kirkland High School (El Paso) – Offensive Coordinator/QBs
2017: Lehman High School (TX) – Offensive Coordinator
2018: UIW – Graduate Assistant
2019: UIW – Quarterbacks Coach
2020: UIW – Quarterbacks Coach
2021: UIW – Quarterbacks Coach
2022: UIW – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
2023: Texas State - Offensive Coordinator

His bio from the Texas State website sums up why I think he'd be a good choice pretty well:
Working with current Texas State head coach G.J. Kinne at UIW in 2022, Leftwich and the Cardinals averaged 51.5 points a game and more than 580 yards of total offense en route to winning the Southland Conference championship and reaching the semifinals of the FCS Playoffs with the nation’s No. 7 seed.

Leftwich helped tutor FCS All-American quarterback Lindsey Scott, Jr., who set a record for FCS touchdowns and accumulated more than 5,300 total yards of offense. Scott, Jr., who joined UIW after transferring from Nicholls, won the Walter Payton Award, which is considered the FCS Heisman Trophy.

Lindsey Scott, Jr. was also among eight All-Southland performers on the offensive side of the ball under Leftwich.

The record-breaking 2022 season was the fifth season overall for Leftwich at UIW, with the first four being as the quarterbacks coach. He started his career with the Cardinals in 2018 as a graduate assistant. He was a part of the UIW coaching staff for its three Southland Conference titles (2018, 2021, 2022).

Leftwich worked with star quarterbacks Jon Copeland (2018-19), Cameron Ward (2021) and Scott, Jr. (2022), each of whom earned All-America status as Cardinals.

Let's dive a bit deeper into the QBs his bio mentioned:

Jon Copeland:
2019 (Sophomore)
Played and started in all 12 games at quarterback… threw for 3,341, breaking the program record for single season passing yards (which he set in 2018)… also tied the program record with 22 passing touchdowns in a single season… completed 298 passes out of 507 attempts, both of which broke the program records… ranked second in program history with a 58.8 percent completion rate throughout the season… was third in UIW history with a 124.9 pass efficiency rate… averaged 6.6 yards per pass, good for fourth in program history… was second in UIW history with 278.4 yards per game… set the program record for total offensive yards in a single season (3,341) and TDs responsible for (26)… ranked second with 276.2 total offensive yards per game… set the career record for touchdown passes, currently with 44 through his first two years… threw for a season-high 381 yards against Nicholls… tallied 300+ passing yards in six games… threw five TD passes against Texas Southern, which tied a program record for team TD passes in a single game and broke the record for individual touchdown passes in a single game… tallied four TD passes in win against Lamar… completed a season-best 35 passes for 349 yards at SFA.

2018 (Freshman)
Helped lead the Cardinals to their first conference championship in program history, throwing for a league-high and program record 2,984 passing yards and gaining a conference-best 3,061 all-purpose yards (rankings from after UIW’s final contest)… guided UIW to six victories, tying a program record… the six league wins sets a program record for the Cardinals… completed 208 of his 368 pass attempts (56.5 percent) and threw for 22 touchdowns, which ranks third in the conference… threw for 515 yards at Lamar, becoming the only SLC student-athlete to throw for over 500 yards this season… the 515 yards at Lamar topped his previous best of 411, which he recorded in a victory against Southeastern Louisiana the week prior… in all, had five games with 300 or more passing yards… recorded a conference-high 2,504 passing yards through eight league games for an average 313.0 yards per game (second in the league)… also led the conference in total offense through only SLC games (2,577 yards, 322.1 yards per game)… helped UIW lead the league in points (343), total offensive yards (4,933) and passing yards (3,237).
Cameron Ward (transferred to WSU in 2022, started all of 2022 and all of 2023 so far):
WASHINGTON STATE (not as important to my argument since this is after his time with Mack Leftwich, but still interesting)
SOPHOMORE (2022):
Enrolled at WSU in January and participated in spring practice...named All-Pac-12 Conference Honorable Mention…named Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Semifinalist (Top offensive player from Texas)…started all 13 gameswent 320-of-497 (64.4%) for 3,231 yards and 23 touchdowns…497 pass attempts were ninth-most in WSU single-season history…320 completions were eighth-most in WSU single-season history…64.4 completion percentage was ninth-best in WSU single-season history…threw nine interceptions…rushed 107 times for 58 yards and five touchdowns…had five games with one passing touchdown and one rushing touchdown…had four 300-yard games…named to 2022 Maxwell Award Watch List (Most Outstanding Player in College Football), Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Watch List (Top offensive player from Texas) and Preseason All-Pac-12 Fourth Team (Athlon Sports)…in WSU debut, threw three touchdown passes (3, 13, 8) and 228 yards in season-opening win over Idaho…threw for 200 yards including 31-yard touchdown pass in win at No. 19 Wisconsin…named WSU Offensive Player of the Week, threw for 299 yards and four touchdown passes (17, 13, 19, 2) in win over Colorado State…threw for 375 yards and two touchdown passes (15, 1) and had five-yard rushing touchdown against No. 15 Oregon…threw for 343 yards and three touchdowns (17, 37, 1) in win over Cal…threw two touchdown passes (12, 1) at No. 6 USC…threw for 345 yards including nine-yard touchdown at Oregon State…threw for 222 yards with a 29-yard touchdown pass and had a seven-yard touchdown run against No. 14 Utah…threw two touchdown passes (7, 9) and rushed for 15-yard touchdown in win at Stanford…threw for 219 yards and a two-yard touchdown pass in win over Arizona State…named WSU Offensive Player of the Week, had a four-yard touchdown pass and 17-yard rushing touchdown in win at Arizona, his 59 rush yards were most by a Cougar quarterback since Jeff Tuel rushed for 79 yards in the win at Oregon State in 2010…thew for 322 yards and two touchdowns (34,15), also rushed for 14-yard touchdown in Apple Cup…went 22-of-32 for 137 yards against Fresno State in LA Bowl.

INCARNATE WORD
SOPHOMORE (2021):
Named to FCS All-American Second Team…named Southland Conference Offensive Player of the Year…Walter Payton Award Finalist, given to the most outstanding offensive player in FCS Football…led UIW to a Southland Conference Championship, a 10-3 overall record and into the second round of the FCS playoffs…in 13 games, completed 384-of-590 (65.1%) passes for 4,648 yards with 47 touchdowns and just 10 interceptions…averaged 357.5 passing yards-per-game…also rushed for one touchdown…recorded 11 games with 300-passing yards including three 400-yard games and a program-record 610…threw multiple-TD in all 13 games…set UIW single-game records with 610 passing yards and seven pass TD in win over Southeastern Louisianaset Incarnate Word program records for career passing touchdowns (71) and passing yards (6,908)rated four-star transfer prospect and 10th-best transfer prospect in the country by 247Sports.com.

FRESHMAN (2020): (Spring 2021) Won the 2021 Jerry Rice Award, given to the most outstanding freshman player in FCS Footballset multiple UIW single-game and single-season passing records in just six games…completed 183-of-303 (60.4 %) passes for 2,260 yards with 24 touchdowns and just four interceptions…averaged 376.7 passing yards-per-game…rushed for two touchdowns…threw for a career-high 470 yards and six touchdowns at Nicholls…named to the Southland All-Conference first-team.
Lindsey Scott Jr.:
2022 Season: (No written bio, so here are just his stats from that year)
Passing:
ATT: 454, CMP: 322, INT: 8, %: 70.9, YDS: 4686, TD: 60
Rushing:
ATT: 132, YDS: 712, TD: 11, YDS per carry: 5.3

2021 Spring Season (Senior): Started all seven games at quarterback... was a dual threat, accounting for 2,241 yards of offense with a 320.1 yards per game average... threw for 1,684 yards and 18 touchdowns, averaging 240.6 yards... had 125 completions on 215 passes for a 58.1 percent clip... threw seven interceptions... led the team in rushing, totaling 557 yards and six touchdowns on 92 carries... averaged 79.6 yards rushing and 6.1 per carry... had five games over 200 yards passing and two 100-yard rushing games... completed 12 of 14 passes for 153 yards in his debut against Lincoln, completing two TD passes. Rushed for 40 yards and a touchdown... played just three quarters in win over Lamar, throwing for 232 yards and three touchdowns with only five incompletions on 21 passes. Rushed for 108 yards and three TDs... was 21-33 for 299 yards and three touchdowns at Northwestern State. Rushed for 91 yards... had 186 yards passing and one touchdown at Sam Houston. Held to 10 yards rushing on 14 carries... went 17 of 21 for 264 yards and five touchdowns against UIW. Also rushed for one TD and 81 yards... rushed for a season-high of 137 yards on 28 carries at McNeese. Threw for 289 yards and three touchdowns... had 261 yards passing and one TD in finale against Southeastern Louisiana. Also rushed for 90 yards and one score and completed one 2-point conversion.
And what about the current QB at Texas State? (I assume he's filling the QB coach role even though it's not listed, as there is no other coach listed as the QBs coach):
TJ Finley:
2023 stats so far through 8 games:
Passing:
ATT: 260, CMP: 177, %: 68.0%, INT: 5, YDS: 2203, TDS: 15
Rushing:
ATT: 43, YDS: 50, TDS: 3

2023 (Redshirt sophomore)
Manning Award Watch List ... Davey O'Brien Award Midseason Watch List ... Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Week after the week one victory at Baylor ... Also named Manning Award Star of the Week and to the Davey O'Brien Great 8 after week one ... Threw for 298 yards on 22-of-30 passing against the Bears and totaled 316 yards of offense (18 rushing) and 4 TDs (3 passing, 1 rushing) ... Two-time Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award National Player of the Week honorable mention (Sept. 5, Sept. 19) ... Enrolled at Texas State in June 2023.

PRIOR TO TEXAS STATE
Over his three years at LSU (2020) and Auburn (2021-22), he started 11 times in 18 games and was 183-of-321 passing with 2,199 yards, 12 TDs and 10 INTs … Also scored 2 rushing TDs … 708 career snaps.

Safe to say, IMO, he can develop QBs.

In his 1 year as OC at UIW in 2022, they put up a cumulative 721 points in 14 games, averaging 51.5 points a game. That year their lowest scoring game was 31 points, and their highest was 73(!!) points. Obviously his offenses can score a lot of points too. Obviously these numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, as this was in FCS where the level of talent of teams they played probably varied wildly. HOWEVER, as OC at Texas State this year, that high scoring trend has continued. So far they have scored a cumulative 281 points over 8 games played, averaging 35.1 points per game. Their lowest score so far is 13 points, while their highest score so far is 77. This is in the sun belt conference, so still not the stiffest of competition, but shows that his OC ability doesn't seem to be tied to a specific school or set of players.

Some further stats on the offenses Mack Leftwich runs:

UIW 2022:
Rushing Attempts: 536
Total rushing yards: 3011
Rushing TDs: 30

Passing Attempts: 499
Total passing yards: 5126
Passing TDs: 62

Run/Pass attempt ratio: 51.7% run/48.3% pass

Texas State 2023 (so far):

Rushing Attempts: 313
Total rushing yards: 1622
Rushing TDs: 20

Passing Attempts: 267
Total passing yards: 2254
Passing TDs: 15

Run/Pass attempt ratio: 53.9% run/46.1% pass

So pretty much between 50/50 and 55/45 rushing-passing as his ratio. If he was hired, I'm sure PJ would try to make that trend closer to 60/40. However, both his rushing and passing offenses are affective, they gain yards and put points on the board.

Some further stats on the offenses Mack Leftwich runs:

UIW 2022:
Rushing Attempts: 536
Total rushing yards: 3011
Rushing TDs: 30

Passing Attempts: 499
Total passing yards: 5126
Passing TDs: 62

Run/Pass attempt ratio: 51.7% run/48.3% pass

Texas State 2023 (so far):

Rushing Attempts: 313
Total rushing yards: 1622
Rushing TDs: 20

Passing Attempts: 267
Total passing yards: 2254
Passing TDs: 15

Run/Pass attempt ratio: 53.9% run/46.1% pass

So pretty much between 50/50 and 55/45 rushing-passing as his ratio. If he was hired, I'm sure PJ would try to make that trend closer to 60/40. However, both his rushing and passing offenses are affective, they gain yards and put points on the board.
I know this is not what you are looking for and I don’t want to take away from all the good work you did to put this out for us, but are you sure PJ would ever consider hiring an OC with that kind of achievement? I’m not so sure. I suspect he would only hire a guy who is maleable and not so independent.

If PJ does go in a new direction this offseason, I hope it’s somebody who is a reasonable veteran at the position (at least 5+ years as OC). PJ is so stubborn in how he wants to run things, I think it’s healthy to have an outside voice questioning you when you need to be questioned. Figure out what you’re good at, then find people to surround yourself with that are good at things you’re not, and give them the latitude to go be good at it.

Not sure if my expectations are realistic. Would love to see our QB noticeably improve. I'm not sure if Athan is improving and the steps are so small so I don't detect them, or if no improvement is occurring. And of course, if AK has a bad game and he takes a temporary backward step, I will be certain that he is not improving and it is doubtful if he ever will. For now I will conclude that he is improving and to be happy that we are still winning most of the games that we should. Hopefully in the next year or two he will lead us to some great victories of the likes of Michigan and/or Ohio State. Go Gophers!

Any OC PJ hires has to agree to and listen to what PJ desires. Probably in that order. No matter who the OC is...on game day PJ is going to choose one running back to get 30 to 40 carries. (one example) There is no discussion...the OC calls PJ's plays for that RB.

PJ selects the QB and barring a trip to the hospital, whoever PJ picks in the spring as his starter will never leave the game for the entire season. (example two)

So, any OC we hire will look a lot like the last guy.

I think the only way we see a significant change/improvement offensively is if we hire someone with a lot more seniority and experience than PJ. I would have to look up who would fit this criteria, but someone in their mid 50's or older who has coordinated a lot of successful offensive seasons at the Power 5 level. Ideally this person would have previously crossed paths with PJ or worked for/with one of his mentors like Tressell or Schiano. It has to be someone that feels empowered to tell PJ to "eff off" when he demands an inside zone on 2nd and long.

I am not even sure Harbaugh is the problem as others have suggested already. I saw a stat this morning that the Gophers are a bottom 10 power 5 offense and they average 1.6 more ppg than Iowa does. That Iowa team has been starting a former 3rd stringer for Wisconsin who was on his way to Fordham before Iowa called late in the process for at least 3 games. The passing offense has not looked competent without two All B1G WR's lining up together and that has spanned 3 different coordinators now. The same is true for any time the offense is asked to play with any sort of tempo...we just can't do it at all.

No chance we have a new OC next year unless our current one gets an HC job. So yea, no chance

Any OC PJ hires has to agree to and listen to what PJ desires. Probably in that order. No matter who the OC is...on game day PJ is going to choose one running back to get 30 to 40 carries. (one example) There is no discussion...the OC calls PJ's plays for that RB.

PJ selects the QB and barring a trip to the hospital, whoever PJ picks in the spring as his starter will never leave the game for the entire season. (example two)

There were a lot of complaints about Limegrover similar to what we're hearing now with the current duo, but I think it both cases it's more about who is head coach. Limegrover ran the Kill offense the way Kill wanted it run. Simon and Harbaugh are running the Fleck offense the way Fleck wants it run. That's certainly the head coaches' prerogative seeing they are in the big chair, but that approach doesn't leave a lot of room for outside-the-box thinking.

If PJ does go in a new direction this offseason, I hope it’s somebody who is a reasonable veteran at the position (at least 5+ years as OC). PJ is so stubborn in how he wants to run things, I think it’s healthy to have an outside voice questioning you when you need to be questioned. Figure out what you’re good at, then find people to surround yourself with that are good at things you’re not, and give them the latitude to go be good at it.
I think the only way we see a significant change/improvement offensively is if we hire someone with a lot more seniority and experience than PJ. I would have to look up who would fit this criteria, but someone in their mid 50's or older who has coordinated a lot of successful offensive seasons at the Power 5 level. Ideally this person would have previously crossed paths with PJ or worked for/with one of his mentors like Tressell or Schiano. It has to be someone that feels empowered to tell PJ to "eff off" when he demands an inside zone on 2nd and long.

I am not even sure Harbaugh is the problem as others have suggested already. I saw a stat this morning that the Gophers are a bottom 10 power 5 offense and they average 1.6 more ppg than Iowa does. That Iowa team has been starting a former 3rd stringer for Wisconsin who was on his way to Fordham before Iowa called late in the process for at least 3 games. The passing offense has not looked competent without two All B1G WR's lining up together and that has spanned 3 different coordinators now. The same is true for any time the offense is asked to play with any sort of tempo...we just can't do it at all.
You both bring up some solid points, I agree that PJ needs someone who will push back against him as an OC (I think KC definitely did this). I guess I figured an up and comer would be easier to convince to come to MN and work under PJ. I would also be worried about finding someone who is great, who then retires in a few years and leaves us in the same place. However I suppose an up and comer could jump ship for a HC job if they did well.

If there was someone with 5 to 10 years as an OC under their belt, with a track record of improving QBs (or at least not causing regression), and a track record of effective rushing and passing offenses (total yards, yards per attempt, etc) I would 100% be behind them.

There were a lot of potential candidates in G5 (where I think we'd need to get someone from) who could fit the mold, many OC/QB coaches with decent "tenure" so to say. I just didn't have the will to dig into their coaching history deeply to see how how their offenses and QBs progressed over time.

No chance we have a new OC next year unless our current one gets an HC job. So yea, no chance
My opinion is that A.D. goes to Fleck and tells him he either needs to hire a new OC/QB coach with experience....or give him an easier choice of hiring a QB coach to make Harbaugh's job easier.
The QB coach can be anyone not named Tanner Morgan. Need an outside voice.
I'm not smart enough to know what it is, but something is wrong with Athan's mechanics and needs to be coached up.

I know this is not what you are looking for and I don’t want to take away from all the good work you did to put this out for us, but are you sure PJ would ever consider hiring an OC with that kind of achievement? I’m not so sure. I suspect he would only hire a guy who is maleable and not so independent.
I see what you are saying, and PJ may like that idea. I mean he helped KC get his career back on track right? However, I would argue that if that's the case, PJ would trend toward guys earlier in their career, as I would think the longer guys have been coaching the less malleable they would be.

And at this point, after seemingly 2 mediocre OC hires, if you're going for a young guy I would think you grab someone who has already proven that they are good, so you go with the guy who already has coaching achievements that jump out on the page.

I know PJ wants to build a coaching tree, and maybe wants a career of "rehabilitating" coaches like Saban, but I don't think he's quite there yet in his coaching career. I think he still has lessons to learn, and growing to do himself.

I think everyone is over thinking and no changes are going to be made. It Fleck's world of complimentary football I don't see any changes unless coaches leave.

as others have stated, it's Fleck's team. Coyle is not going to go to Fleck and make any ultimatums - because Coyle has no spine.

If (the non-cheating) Harbaugh leaves for some reason, Fleck will choose the new OC and it will be an OC who agrees to work within Fleck's coaching philosophy.

I do agree that there seem to be issues with the QB's mechanics - and that could be on Harbaugh in his role as QB coach. so IF Fleck was willing to bring in a separate QB coach, I would be fine with that. but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.

Which means you are not going to get one who is independent, innovative, and has built his reputation on what he has learned himself through experience.

If it will be as you described (I tend to agree with you), Harbaugh is fine.

Also, keep in mind an innovative guy with his own track record will not take the job if offered as requiring the Fleck system. An up-and-coming hot shot won't risk ruining his own career to run a risk adverse, super conservative offense.

I see what you are saying, and PJ may like that idea. I mean he helped KC get his career back on track right? However, I would argue that if that's the case, PJ would trend toward guys earlier in their career, as I would think the longer guys have been coaching the less malleable they would be.

And at this point, after seemingly 2 mediocre OC hires, if you're going for a young guy I would think you grab someone who has already proven that they are good, so you go with the guy who already has coaching achievements that jump out on the page.

I know PJ wants to build a coaching tree, and maybe wants a career of "rehabilitating" coaches like Saban, but I don't think he's quite there yet in his coaching career. I think he still has lessons to learn, and growing to do himself.
Only disagree on who is most malleable. Guys with ten years experience or more have their own philosophy and system. The ones in demand have improved teams over the years. That is what they used to make their reputation. They will not be malleable because to do so would ruin their own career trajectory.

A young guy, on the other hand, might be so thrilled to get a coordinator job in the Big Ten that he would swallow his own system for a few years just to get the job on his resume.

I think everyone is over thinking and no changes are going to be made. It Fleck's world of complimentary football I don't see any changes unless coaches leave.
This is the problem. A mediocre coach will stay and do Fleck's bidding because a Big Ten coordinator gets paid well and earns a lot of clout on his resume whether team is winning the extra game or two that could be won, or not.

as others have stated, it's Fleck's team. Coyle is not going to go to Fleck and make any ultimatums - because Coyle has no spine.

If (the non-cheating) Harbaugh leaves for some reason, Fleck will choose the new OC and it will be an OC who agrees to work within Fleck's coaching philosophy.

I do agree that there seem to be issues with the QB's mechanics - and that could be on Harbaugh in his role as QB coach. so IF Fleck was willing to bring in a separate QB coach, I would be fine with that. but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.
If we make a change, it will not be to change/expand the offense. It would purely be the belief there is someone who can do a better job coaching and developing QBs.

That in itself is not a terrible thing. Just not as good as bringing in a real play caller with his own proven system.

Last edited:

I think the OP's point is Fleck is not going to get "someone in their mid 50's or older who has coordinated a lot of successful offensive seasons at the Power 5 level". They go to higher profile programs, or are already at one. This guy looks like a Joe Rossi, but on offense.

I'd like to point out the Harbaugh's current contract is up in January, an I believe it was renewed prior to this season and only for one season. This feels like it is a "try it out" contract since this is his first OC/QB coach job. I wouldn't be shocked if PJ decided to make changes, but also not shocked if he didn't.

Athans inconsistency makes it hard to determine if a change needs to be made at OC and/or QB coach. I personally think we definitely need an experienced QB coach and would push for that and compromise and keep the OC setup if I had to.

Bottom line is we need to get the average up to at least 30 ppg to be respectable in the new big ten starting next year. I hope PJ realizes that and can keep the identity of the offense as he likes it while stepping out of the way a bit for the in game decisions.

The parallels to Kirk Ferentz are striking though. The current discourse I've been seeing with Iowa fans is that while they are happy Brian is stepping down after the season, that Kirk will only go for a guy he knows and that plays the game the way he likes it, so they aren't expecting a huge change on offense, just hoping someone comes in that is a little better at play calling and recruiting.

I think PJ looks at the consistency that Kirk has and wants to build that, but I hope he realizes that he can evolve and that he probably needs to going forward.

You both bring up some solid points, I agree that PJ needs someone who will push back against him as an OC (I think KC definitely did this). I guess I figured an up and comer would be easier to convince to come to MN and work under PJ. I would also be worried about finding someone who is great, who then retires in a few years and leaves us in the same place. However I suppose an up and comer could jump ship for a HC job if they did well.

If there was someone with 5 to 10 years as an OC under their belt, with a track record of improving QBs (or at least not causing regression), and a track record of effective rushing and passing offenses (total yards, yards per attempt, etc) I would 100% be behind them.

There were a lot of potential candidates in G5 (where I think we'd need to get someone from) who could fit the mold, many OC/QB coaches with decent "tenure" so to say. I just didn't have the will to dig into their coaching history deeply to see how how their offenses and QBs progressed over time.
The person you describe wouldn’t come here to coach under PJ.

I wonder if there’s any chance Jay Johnson is another boomerang OC.

We need a change. Today was evident, we had some flashes, but our offense couldn't stay on the field.

PJ NEEDS to hire a PROVEN OC/QB coach with a history of making QBs better AND scoring.

There were a lot of complaints about Limegrover similar to what we're hearing now with the current duo, but I think it both cases it's more about who is head coach. Limegrover ran the Kill offense the way Kill wanted it run. Simon and Harbaugh are running the Fleck offense the way Fleck wants it run. That's certainly the head coaches' prerogative seeing they are in the big chair, but that approach doesn't leave a lot of room for outside-the-box thinking.

Have to at least somewhat disagree. I think the "the OC is only doing what Fleck says" angle is heavily, heavily overplayed. Certainly any OC knows that Fleck wants to control the clock and minimize mistakes, but Fleck's not calling what the Gophers are going to run when it's 2nd and 7 from your own 28-yd line. The two clowns that are currently in charge of the offense are in over their head, a long ways over their head honestly.

The mistake this year was going into the season with BOTH a relatively unproven Quarterback AND an inexperienced OC calling the plays.

Have to at least somewhat disagree. I think the "the OC is only doing what Fleck says" angle is heavily, heavily overplayed. Certainly any OC knows that Fleck wants to control the clock and minimize mistakes, but Fleck's not calling what the Gophers are going to run when it's 2nd and 7 from your own 28-yd line. The two clowns that are currently in charge of the offense are in over their head, a long ways over their head honestly.

The mistake this year was going into the season with BOTH a relatively unproven Quarterback AND an inexperienced OC calling the plays.
And an inexperienced QB coach...

Top Bottom