Who will lead the 2023-24 Gophers in scoring?

• Dawson Garcia

Votes: 42 95.5%
  • Elijah Hawkins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joshua Ola-Joseph

• Mike Mitchell Jr.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Braeden Carrington

• Pharrel Payne

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Cam Christie

• Parker Fox

• Isaiah Ihnen

• Other (list)

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Is this Total Points for the year, or per game average?

Total Points for the year... Payne or Mitchell (I assume that Dawson will sit a few games for injury...based on past historicals)

Highest Per Game Average: Dawson

Start another poll for the second leading scorer - that's the more interesting question, and why losing Battle might be more impactful than some are willing to admit.

Well, once again, are we talking about the Battle of his first three seasons or the Battle of last season? The Battle of last season had a player efficiency rating of 9.4 and a True Shooting Percentage of 47.3. Both of those measures are well below average. I'm pretty confident that our second leading scorer will perform better than that. Losing the Battle of last season was a good thing. We'll see if he reverts to his prior form this season. He almost would have to be better than last year.

Would be surprised if it's anyone other than Dawson- maybe give PP an outside chance.

It's almost a no-brainer if he stays healthy. He likely will play the most minutes per game and he likely will be the acknowledged team leader. Last season he faced competition for that role from a player who is no longer here.

Well, once again, are we talking about the Battle of his first three seasons or the Battle of last season? The Battle of last season had a player efficiency rating of 9.4 and a True Shooting Percentage of 47.3. Both of those measures are well below average. I'm pretty confident that our second leading scorer will perform better than that. Losing the Battle of last season was a good thing. We'll see if he reverts to his prior form this season. He almost would have to be better than last year.
I'll stipulate that Battle was inefficient last year, for whatever reason.

I guess I'm really asking who's going to be second in some combo of minutes and usage. Battle was the clear #2 offensive option, or even #1A. Who is that this year? Payne actually had a slightly higher usage rate than Battle, but played almost 10 minutes less per game. I suspect it'll be one of the new guards, but we don't really know.

I'll stipulate that Battle was inefficient last year, for whatever reason.

I guess I'm really asking who's going to be second in some combo of minutes and usage. Battle was the clear #2 offensive option, or even #1A. Who is that this year? Payne actually had a slightly higher usage rate than Battle, but played almost 10 minutes less per game. I suspect it'll be one of the new guards, but we don't really know.

I suspect it will be one of the guards as well if for no other reason than high minutes per game. I know the exhibition was against a DIII team but Ola Joseph attacked the basket much more aggressively in that game than he did last season so he might have a significant boost in scoring this year.

Top Bottom