Who will be the first 2013 verbal?

Gopherprof

Reaction score
I know that some people aren't ready to talk 2013 recruiting yet. That's fine. However, usually by February or March we have at least one, and sometimes numerous verbals for the next year, so it's coming whether you want it to or not.

Here are the numbers the last six years (bear in mind, this doesn't include decommits, but screw those guys anyway):

Ryan Wynn (March 4)
Shane Potter (March 4)
Anthony Jacobs (March 4)
Andre Tate (March 6)

Shady Salamon (February 24)
Sam Maresh (April 3)
Ryan Grant (April 4)
John Nance (April 9)

Josh Campion (October 20th of 2007...didn't qualify, yet)
Moses Alipate (February 10)
Ed Olson (March 14)
Victor Keise (April 19)

Jimmy Gjere (March 5)
Lamonte Edwards (March 8)
Tom Parish (April 4)

Tommy Olson (January 18 of 2009)
-No more early commits, in part due to staff instability and de-commits

-Philip Nelson (February 19)
-Maxx Williams (February 23)

So, if you've been paying attention, there are some emerging patterns here.

1) We'll likely have a few verbals by April, even with the limited # of scholarships.
2) They will most likely be Minnesota kids. Victor Keise is really the only non-local kid to commit before the summer. Tom Parrish was from Wisconsin, which is damn near local, and he was a quarterback, a position that is usually decided early (see Moses and Philip).

This year, in part due to limited scholarships and what looks like a potential down year for Minnesota High School football, we've only offered one local player (James Onwualu). Onwualu was quoted as saying he'd like to get his recruiting resolved by the Summer, but being from Cretin and having a Notre Dame offer, there's some healthy skepticism that we're his current favorite.

So it looks like our first commit will probably be a Minnesota kid who doesn't have an offer yet. But, maybe it won't. What says you?

My personal guesses are:

-Jack Cottrell, Linebacker, Eden Prairie

-Michael Flowers, Defensive Tackle, Highland Park

-Chandler Wright, Offensive Line, Wayzata

That's three, so I cheated.

Seeing John Nance on that list reminded me of how just the past Saturday I was watching him with the very difficult task of guarding Seth Anderson from Gustavus. Anderson leads the conference in scoring and is from the little town of Minnesota Lake. I doubt he ever figured he'd be matching up with John Nance in a big MIAC basketball game with first place on the line. Minnesota Lake to Cretin DH, MIAC basketball to B1G football... what a twisted web we weave.

Seth Anderson played at Maple River, an arch rival high school of the one i graduated from...I remember watching him play basketball when Maple River came to town! Wow small world!

Top Bottom