Who will be hired at Wiscy?

That makes almost as little sense as the burt bielema situation. Is Bo's contract at Nebraska nearing its end, and he wants some leverage?

New AD and fans getting restless. They thought the Rose Bowl was in the bag.

New AD and fans getting restless. They thought the Rose Bowl was in the bag.

This is true, Pelini might want to bolt before he gets canned. He's 0-3 in conference championships (dating back to the Big XII) and, if they lose to Georgia, will not have had a season with fewer than 4 losses in his five years there. Another 4 loss year next year and the seat would be hot I think.

That makes almost as little sense as the burt bielema situation. Is Bo's contract at Nebraska nearing its end, and he wants some leverage?

The chancellor doesn't like Bo, Osborne is not there to protect him anymore and fans and boosters have grown tired of his attitude and behavior towards them. The fan base appears split about if they want him to go or stay. They are almost universally however demanding he stop hiring his Youngstown high school buddies as assistants and hire real assistants that like to recruit. Bo is a good coach but his attitude stinks and his defense scheme is very complex but works awesome with elite talent. The problem is he hates to recruit and doesn't have a killer recruiter on his staff. His contract buyout is only 275K if that gives you any indications, they have made it very easy for him to leave if he wants. He also has done this routine multiple times to get raises, though I do believe that he does want out. He has commented on the intense pressure from the fans and media there, though I don't think it will be different at Tenn.

The chancellor doesn't like Bo, Osborne is not there to protect him anymore and fans and boosters have grown tired of his attitude and behavior towards them. The fan base appears split about if they want him to go or stay. They are almost universally however demanding he stop hiring his Youngstown high school buddies as assistants and hire real assistants that like to recruit. Bo is a good coach but his attitude stinks and his defense scheme is very complex but works awesome with elite talent. The problem is he hates to recruit and doesn't have a killer recruiter on his staff. His contract buyout is only 275K if that gives you any indications, they have made it very easy for him to leave if he wants. He also has done this routine multiple times to get raises, though I do believe that he does want out. He has commented on the intense pressure from the fans and media there, though I don't think it will be different at Tenn.

There were a lot of folks who wanted Pelini when Maturi hired Brewster and there's no question that Pelini is the far superior coach when compared to Brewster, but I don't think he would have worked out here because he's got that type of personality that needs a protector and with Osborne gone, he now lacks one at Nebraska. I wouldn't be surprised to see him bolt.

I've had late night meetings all week or I might have commented earlier, but here is one fan's assessment of the situation:

1) I see no panic with BB gone. Some folks are really pissed and turned on him like a spurned spouse. More rational posters/fans will state that he was a good coach, particularly administratively, but not a great game coach.

2) BB definitely grew in the job and the last two years was great at interviews etc. Nonetheless, a very large portion of the fanbase tolerated, but never really liked him. Personally, the thing I liked best about BB was his insistence on recruiting character and no tolerance for off-field issues. IMO, he was even better than BA in that aspect.

3) People are excited about BA coaching in the Rose Bowl and it will help sell tickets. While I want UW to win, I actually think it would be better for the program for him to lose, so that the next coach doesn't have the long shadow.

4) Absolutely no idea who Barry will pick but those that most intrigue me are the ND defensive coordinator, Golden, and Tucker. Never felt Chryst was a serious candidate because both he and Barry are a little too loyal for that (unless he had an "out clause" but the time wasn't right). Tressel - come on, now. Petrino - no way. Barry clearly stated that the new coach must understand the B1G and how Wisconsin operates.

5) Word on the street is Barry is PISSED that Bret did not let him know and showed so little loyalty after Barry stood up to Admin and boosters to support BB in the past. Personally, I find it very hard to fathom how someone can be all "On, Wisconsin" on Saturday and "Sooie Pig on Sunday." I still think BB was a good coach, but I always thought he had professional integrity (but not high standards in private behavior). Now I am not sure about that.

6) Much speculation that he and new wife wanted to start somewhere new - away from "the scene of the crime" so to speak. Bret was single for a long time in Madison and none too suave about it.

General consensus is excitement about new coach. Barry is, if possible, held in even higher esteem. Current players asked him to coach the RB. How do you refuse that? He has said he knows all the hoopla around the RB and will handle that, allowing other coaches to coach. However, you know he is relishing a return to the sidelines, for a limited term engagement.

Barry Rose Bowl.jpg

Glad to hear that Petersen is not going to interview at Whisky. Not cuz I hate Whisky (I do), but I always thought that Petersen was one of the rare ones who loved his job and his home and knew when he had enough $$$. A rare combination these days.

Glad to hear that Petersen is not going to interview at Whisky. Not cuz I hate Whisky (I do), but I always thought that Petersen was one of the rare ones who loved his job and his home and knew when he had enough $$$. A rare combination these days.

I think he's waiting for the perfect Pac-12 job, like Oregon or USC.

I've had late night meetings all week or I might have commented earlier, but here is one fan's assessment of the situation:

1) I see no panic with BB gone. Some folks are really pissed and turned on him like a spurned spouse. More rational posters/fans will state that he was a good coach, particularly administratively, but not a great game coach.

2) BB definitely grew in the job and the last two years was great at interviews etc. Nonetheless, a very large portion of the fanbase tolerated, but never really liked him. Personally, the thing I liked best about BB was his insistence on recruiting character and no tolerance for off-field issues. IMO, he was even better than BA in that aspect.

3) People are excited about BA coaching in the Rose Bowl and it will help sell tickets. While I want UW to win, I actually think it would be better for the program for him to lose, so that the next coach doesn't have the long shadow.

4) Absolutely no idea who Barry will pick but those that most intrigue me are the ND defensive coordinator, Golden, and Tucker. Never felt Chryst was a serious candidate because both he and Barry are a little too loyal for that (unless he had an "out clause" but the time wasn't right). Tressel - come on, now. Petrino - no way. Barry clearly stated that the new coach must understand the B1G and how Wisconsin operates.

5) Word on the street is Barry is PISSED that Bret did not let him know and showed so little loyalty after Barry stood up to Admin and boosters to support BB in the past. Personally, I find it very hard to fathom how someone can be all "On, Wisconsin" on Saturday and "Sooie Pig on Sunday." I still think BB was a good coach, but I always thought he had professional integrity (but not high standards in private behavior). Now I am not sure about that.

6) Much speculation that he and new wife wanted to start somewhere new - away from "the scene of the crime" so to speak. Bret was single for a long time in Madison and none too suave about it.

General consensus is excitement about new coach. Barry is, if possible, held in even higher esteem. Current players asked him to coach the RB. How do you refuse that? He has said he knows all the hoopla around the RB and will handle that, allowing other coaches to coach. However, you know he is relishing a return to the sidelines, for a limited term engagement.

View attachment 1861

Thanks for posting this TAW. You are probably the only Badger fan who posts here that I have much of any respect for and you do a good job providing the unvarnished viewpoint.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned much (if at all) is that I wonder if Bielema chafed a bit under the "this is the program Alvarez built" mantra that discounted some pretty impressive accomplishments on Bielema's part. Seems the only compliments Bielema ever got were left-handed in nature and that he was always going to be in Alvarez' shadow to some extent and he probably wants to prove that he is a good coach in his own right. Don't get me wrong, I think the guy is a total chucklehead (over the years, I have come to the conclusion that about 99% of college coaches are in varying degrees), but there's no denying he's had success.

Wait, I want to make sure I'm reading this correctly.

Bret-Bielema-topless.jpg

The wife of this guy was frustrated she was rubbing elbows at the grocery store with so many of Bielema's past f*** buddies?

Damn I need to get me the head coaching job at ASU or something.

Wait, I want to make sure I'm reading this correctly.

View attachment 1872

The wife of this guy was frustrated she was rubbing elbows at the grocery store with so many of Bielema's past f*** buddies?

Damn I need to get me the head coaching job at ASU or something.

Obviously you are too young to recall the women Henry Kissinger dated (google a picture of him). Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

I think he's waiting for the perfect Pac-12 job, like Oregon or USC.

Agree with that. West coast guy. IF leaving Boise then might as well get the jewel. I would bet if he had his choice, he would take Oregon...

Obviously you are too young to recall the women Henry Kissinger dated (google a picture of him). Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

Well, Alvarez knocked-up a wisky cheerleader, so one needs to consider the decision making of the women in Madison as well.

Top Bottom