Who will be Big Ten's next breakout stars? How about Gophers' Jamison Battle and Dawson Garcia

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Marcus:

The Big Ten really didn't see Johnny Davis and Keegan Murray coming last season when the two sophomores went from relatively unknown to breakout stars and NBA lottery picks.

A league typically recognized for being the deepest in the country with competitive teams not only sent a record-tying nine teams to the NCAA tournament last season but also had nine NBA draft picks.

At Big Ten media days this week, there was no consensus from coaches on who could be next in line to follow that path besides returning all-league players Hunter Dickinson, Trayce Jackson-Davis and Zach Edey.

The emergence of Davis and Murray, though, put Wisconsin and Iowa in position to greatly surpass preseason expectations last season, respectively.

So several Big Ten teams are hoping they experience a similar scenario this season, including Ben Johnson's Gophers with lethal lefties Jamison Battle and Dawson Garcia.

Go Gophers!!

Per Marcus:

The Big Ten really didn't see Johnny Davis and Keegan Murray coming last season when the two sophomores went from relatively unknown to breakout stars and NBA lottery picks.

A league typically recognized for being the deepest in the country with competitive teams not only sent a record-tying nine teams to the NCAA tournament last season but also had nine NBA draft picks.

At Big Ten media days this week, there was no consensus from coaches on who could be next in line to follow that path besides returning all-league players Hunter Dickinson, Trayce Jackson-Davis and Zach Edey.

The emergence of Davis and Murray, though, put Wisconsin and Iowa in position to greatly surpass preseason expectations last season, respectively.

So several Big Ten teams are hoping they experience a similar scenario this season, including Ben Johnson's Gophers with lethal lefties Jamison Battle and Dawson Garcia.

Go Gophers!!
There is no reason we can't compete for an NCAA bid. If Cooper is as advertised and Payne is the beast we think he is- we can have a very nice squad.

There is no reason we can't compete for an NCAA bid. If Cooper is as advertised and Payne is the beast we think he is- we can have a very nice squad.
I agree. It surprises me how discouraged some are about our prospects this season. I get we've had some unfortunate injuries, but athletism is still much more prevalent on this year's team. I felt like we were in most games last year but never had opportunities for easy buckets (putbacks and dunks). With Payne, Dawson, and a much stronger TT (heck, maybe even Ola-Joseph), we should hold our own down low and not be as dependent on making jump shots to stay in every game.

I agree. It surprises me how discouraged some are about our prospects this season. I get we've had some unfortunate injuries, but athletism is still much more prevalent on this year's team. I felt like we were in most games last year but never had opportunities for easy buckets (putbacks and dunks). With Payne, Dawson, and a much stronger TT (heck, maybe even Ola-Joseph), we should hold our own down low and not be as dependent on making jump shots to stay in every game.
We are going to go to the boards on both ends of the floor this year. The biggest issue in my view is whether or not we can get enough scoring out of the guard position and can defend at the guard position. The development of Carrington and Henley is a huge X factor this year.

Top Bottom