Who takes their team to the NCAA Tournament first, Ben Johnson at Minnesota or Richard Pitino at New Mexico?

Who takes their team to the NCAA Tournament first, Ben Johnson at Minnesota or Richard Pitino at New

• Ben Johnson and Minnesota get to NCAA Tournament first

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Richard Pitino and New Mexico will get to the NCAA Tournament first

Votes: 44 51.2%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Who takes their team to the NCAA Tournament first, Ben Johnson at Minnesota or Richard Pitino at New Mexico?

Johnson has a chance next season if some things go right with transfers and recruits. Has some good vets and can grab some real talent.

Mountain West is a cake walk to get a team in if a coach can coach.

I wouldn't say that. Fewer teams get in from that conference. Some years (like this one) they'll take any team with a pulse from the Big Ten. A couple of years ago, Ohio State got in with an 8-12 conference record and a 19-14 record going into the tournament. They've taken other Big Ten teams with similar records. No way that kind of record gets a Mountain West team into the tournament as an at-large selection.

I wouldn't say that. Fewer teams get in from that conference. Some years (like this one) they'll take any team with a pulse from the Big Ten. A couple of years ago, Ohio State got in with an 8-12 conference record and a 19-14 record going into the tournament. They've taken other Big Ten teams with similar records. No way that kind of record gets a Mountain West team into the tournament as an at-large selection.
This year it is looking like both the Mountain West and Big 10 will get 6 bids. Therefore with only 11 teams in the MW as opposed to 14 in the B10, a larger percentage of their membership will get in, thus "easier".

I get this year is an anomaly.

What a great game last night, was pulling for him and Jamal, couldn't be happier

I wanted the loser of yesterday's Mountain West Championship to get the Gopher gig.
He'd have similar struggle as Smith IMO. I don't think either recruits well enough to win at a program like Minnesota.

He'd have similar struggle as Smith IMO. I don't think either recruits well enough to win at a program like Minnesota.
Dutcher, the lead recruiter of the fab five, tractor Taylor, Bullock, Ward, Willie Mitchell, Maurice Taylor, maceo baston doesn't recruit well enough?

He also recruited well enough to take SDSU to the national championship.

My clairvoyance can't see that far into the future.

Top Bottom