Who is starting at QB in our bowl game?

The word on the street is Kramer expressed to PJ his plan to skip the bowl game and call it a career. After the other QBs jumped in the portal, Fleck was forced to ask/beg Kramer to reconsider. Kramer will suit up and be QB1 for the bowl game.

There are 2 QB's on the roster. Cole Kramer is a senior and served as the backup for the entire season. Max Shikenjanski is a walk-on freshman. I'll leave it to you to deduce who is the most likely candidate to start.
Hmmm.....tough one..... :)

Think this thread can/should die a quick death or be merged with one of the 3000 other QB related threads on the board right now.

The word on the street is Kramer expressed to PJ his plan to skip the bowl game and call it a career. After the other QBs jumped in the portal, Fleck was forced to ask/beg Kramer to reconsider. Kramer will suit up and be QB1 for the bowl game.
If true it is a little surprising he would consider skipping the bowl game. If you are planning to hang it up may as well enjoy the last little bit with your teammates and get the free stuff that comes with a bowl game.

Maybe he will have so much fun with the bowl game he will decide to come back next year for the heck of it and be the backup again. :)

part of me wonders what it would look like if Shikenjanski had to play QB.

two-sport athlete. completed 66% of passes his SR year with 26 TD's. I assume he can run pretty well or at least move around in the pocket. Off the top of my head, I would say that Shikenjanski is a better athlete than Kramer. That doesn't mean he's a better QB - at least not right now - but from all accounts the kid is a competitor, and if he had to play, I think he'd give it a good effort.

as to the emergency QB - maybe one of the WR's or DB's? no idea who might have been a QB in HS.

part of me wonders what it would look like if Shikenjanski had to play QB.

Regardless of who the QB is what it is going to look like IMO is a lot of handoffs and 8-12 play action passes
two-sport athlete. completed 66% of passes his SR year with 26 TD's. I assume he can run pretty well or at least move around in the pocket. Off the top of my head, I would say that Shikenjanski is a better athlete than Kramer. That doesn't mean he's a better QB - at least not right now - but from all accounts the kid is a competitor, and if he had to play, I think he'd give it a good effort.

as to the emergency QB - maybe one of the WR's or DB's? no idea who might have been a QB in HS.

Hmmm.....tough one..... :)

Think this thread can/should die a quick death or be merged with one of the 3000 other QB related threads on the board right now.
I'm amazed how many threads and posts are dedicated to QB and RB when defensive regression was by far the biggest reason why the Gophers took a step back in 2023.

Now that there's a presumptive starting QB and RB for 2024 I expect the majority of the Gophers portal activity dedicated to fixing a defense that was both 2nd to last in Pass Defense Efficiency and allowed the highest Yards Per Carry to opposing ballcarriers in 2023's Big Ten season.

It might be you. Keep the day after Xmas open just in case.

giphy.gif

I'm amazed how many threads and posts are dedicated to QB and RB when defensive regression was by far the biggest reason why the Gophers took a step back in 2023.

Now that there's a presumptive starting QB and RB for 2024 I expect the majority of the Gophers portal activity dedicated to fixing a defense that was both 2nd to last in Pass Defense Efficiency and allowed the highest Yards Per Carry to opposing ballcarriers in 2023's Big Ten season.
Alot of the defense issues were due to injuries. PJ has stated many will be back for the bowl game

With no serious threat of a Gopher passing attack, it won't be difficult for BG to prepare for this game.

Joe has shown the ability to shore up the defense and we have players who (when healthy) have shown they can play.

Offense and QB are perpetual questions.

Last edited:

With no serious threat of a Gopher passing attack, it won't be difficult for BG to prepare for this game.
BG has to contend with the portal too, could be a very strange game.

Could be a lot of strange games...

I think Shikenjanski at least needs a shot. He was a tremendous athlete in HS and has the tools. I hope he gets a quarter to play. At least we will know what we have and just as important, Max will know where he stands.

I think Shikenjanski at least needs a shot. He was a tremendous athlete in HS and has the tools. I hope he gets a quarter to play. At least we will know what we have and just as important, Max will know where he stands.
I'm pretty sure all these guys get "a shot" at practice ;)

Shikenjanski is a true freshman walk-on. I get that it's Bowling Green but if he plays the expectations should be incredibly low.

Yikes. I hope they let him throw it 50 times

If true it is a little surprising he would consider skipping the bowl game. If you are planning to hang it up may as well enjoy the last little bit with your teammates and get the free stuff that comes with a bowl game.

Maybe he will have so much fun with the bowl game he will decide to come back next year for the heck of it and be the backup again. :)
Yup, get out there and lit all hang out!

Apparently he was packed up and headed to Arizona for a new job. I guess he's putting all that on hold for the bowl.

The game would be infinitely more interesting with Max Shikenjanski as QB... but Kramer has certainly earned the opportunity if he wants it.
The most interesting game is one that you win.

I hope Kramer gets us so far ahead that Shikenjanski gets a few series.

Top Bottom