Who is No. 3?

SPCPrice21

Reaction score
There has been alot of chatter about the lack of gopher coverage in the state recently. I saw this interesting article reading the startrib tonight and though it was pretty accurate. Its not too informative to me, but I still liked it. I disagree with the gophers basketball being in the conversation for number 3. They dont compete with the Twolves, Wild, or gopher football even though I really wish they did since they are the only consistant team as of late.

Well it's nice that the strib even put us in the discussion. Maybe some of the inherent bias is dissipating.

The Wolves? Do they still play here?

Just imagine, a few years ago and Gopher hockey would have been in the conversation. Amazing how the program has fallen. It will be back, but I worry about whether it will be under the current regime.

Sorry, didn't mean to be off topic. I think the article was pretty fair. My view is that Gopher football is in strong competition for 3rd with the Wild and with a breakout season could solidify that spot regardless of how things go with the pro teams.

After Rubio comes...

...the Wolves will blow Gopher football away.

The Wolves? Do they still play here?

Just imagine, a few years ago and Gopher hockey would have been in the conversation. Amazing how the program has fallen. It will be back, but I worry about whether it will be under the current regime.

Sorry, didn't mean to be off topic. I think the article was pretty fair. My view is that Gopher football is in strong competition for 3rd with the Wild and with a breakout season could solidify that spot regardless of how things go with the pro teams.

This^

(S)he's not coming. The NBA hasn't been good since Jordan left the Bulls, and nobody cares anymore.

Because you don't care means no one cares? O.K., noted.

This article brings up a larger problem within the Twin Cities sports scene. That is the fact that there is too many sports for the amount of corporate dollars available. You have the "Big 4"(Vikings, Wolves, Twins, Wild), a BSC university(Gophers), plus a few other "minor" teams(Lynx, Swarm, StP Saints, Canterbury, etc), plus the constant talk about bring in a MLS team. Right now there simply isn't enough $$$ to make all those organization successful.

Then toss in the fact that the Twin Cities have more theater seats per capita outside of New York, you have even a bigger problem.

Oh and #3 is going to be the first team to set up and win big the soonest, so most likely Tubby and crew.

There has been alot of chatter about the lack of gopher coverage in the state recently. I saw this interesting article reading the startrib tonight and though it was pretty accurate. Its not too informative to me, but I still liked it. I disagree with the gophers basketball being in the conversation for number 3. They dont compete with the Twolves, Wild, or gopher football even though I really wish they did since they are the only consistant team as of late.

I would argue that Gopher basketball HAS been number three in the past. They're not there now, however.

Gopher football has a great opportunity to jump up there now, with the new team smell gone from the Wild, and with the Wolves ... well, the Wolves are invisible. But for now I think Gopher football is much like those two: they have their diehard fans, and the rest of Minnesota will start paying attention when they start winning more.

Ahhh, what?

His entire schtick here is ripping on things that other people enjoy, and his incapability of understanding why others would have interests that are different from his.

Since you seem to understand how ridiculous that is, I was hoping you can tell him as a friend. People tend to listen to their friends.

His entire schtick here is ripping on things that other people enjoy, and his incapability of understanding why others would have interests that are different from his.

Since you seem to understand how ridiculous that is, I was hoping you can tell him as a friend. People tend to listen to their friends.

I knew what you meant by your post, but I never met the guy.

I knew what you meant by your post, but I never met the guy.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought it was Nate who referenced you in a post the other day as a friend, but it was CRG.

I have only rarely heard anyone talk about the Timberwolves for a quite a while. One of my coworkers was talking about taking his kid to the basketball game, and it took a while for me to realize he was talking about the Timberwolves. There's a lot more talk of Gophers football than of the Timberwolves. Granted, not all the talk of the Gophers is positive, but few people seem to be interested in the Timberwolves at all. So, it seems that interest in the NBA is flagging, but that could just be that NBA interest around here has declined.

Gopher Football is the #1 hated sport in this town. From my perspective, there are more people that despise Gopher Football than there are diehard fans. I've stopped caring what others think of the team, it's a losing battle.

Gopher Basketball sadly became irrelevant during the Monson era. It is coming back full force though.

The biggest difference between these two programs is the perception of the Head Coaches. The average sports fan loves Tubby. and thinks Brewster is a joke.

Gopher Football is the #1 hated sport in this town. From my perspective, there are more people that despise Gopher Football than there are diehard fans.

I've never seen this. Oh, I know there are a small number of very, very vocal people who would like us to think this. I see around 50,000 people attending Gopher football games. That's not insignificant. I realize that this isn't big by Big Ten standards, but compared to the rest of D-I, it's not bad. I see people wearing Gophers T-shirts. There really aren't many people at all that despise Gopher football. They are just very, very loud.

I've never seen this. Oh, I know there are a small number of very, very vocal people who would like us to think this. I see around 50,000 people attending Gopher football games. That's not insignificant. I realize that this isn't big by Big Ten standards, but compared to the rest of D-I, it's not bad. I see people wearing Gophers T-shirts. There really aren't many people at all that despise Gopher football. They are just very, very loud.
I was at the Twins game against Detroit last week. It shocked me how many people I saw in Gopher shirts and caps. Granted, those aren't specific to the football team, but it still surprised me.

I was at the Twins game against Detroit last week. It shocked me how many people I saw in Gopher shirts and caps. Granted, those aren't specific to the football team, but it still surprised me.

I don't generally care for the term, but I think Gopher fans are a "silent majority". Gopher fans just have been beaten down by the local media, and have kept taking it from the smack talkers so long that they started thinking they are the only Gopher fans out there.

But 50,000 people at the game isn't bad, there are a lot of schools that would love to have 50,000 fans at the game. And 37 radio stations carry Gophers football, vs. 25 for basketball and 25 for hockey. Are the owners of the radio stations fools?

We're told that support for Gophers football is "miniscule" compared to hockey. But more people come to TCF to watch football than go to Mariucci to watch hockey. And again, there are 37 stations for football vs. 25 for hockey. How can this be if support for the Gophers is miniscule? The simple answer is it can't.

Sure, if you go onto the newspapers' comment sections, there will be a lot of people blasting the Gophers. But this doesn't indicate widespread dislike of the Gophers. These comments sections are worth little, they are overrun with trolls.

(S)he's not coming. The NBA hasn't been good since Jordan left the Bulls, and nobody cares anymore.

Lakers' Game 7 victory is ratings success for ABC
June 18, 2010 | 10:15 am
The Lakers' 83-79 victory over the Celtics on Thursday night not only delivered a 16th NBA championship to the L.A. franchise -- it also delivered massive television ratings for ABC.

Game 7 delivered an 18.2 overnight rating, making it the highest-rated NBA game since 1998 (Bulls versus Jazz). It was the highest-ever overnight rating for an NBA Finals game on ABC (the network's overnight records go back to 2003), besting the 15.5 rating for the Pistons' series-clinching victory over the Lakers in Game 5 of the 2004 finals.

Thursday night's game was the highest-rated television show of the night, peaking with a 23.7 rating from 8:45-9 p.m. PDT. In Los Angeles, the game delivered a 39.7 metered market rating to become ABC's highest-rated NBA game ever in the market. A 33.9 rating in Boston is the second-highest rated game in that area, trailing only the Celtics' championship-clinching victory in Game 6 over the Lakers in 2008.

A game between the Celtics and the Lakers got good ratings in Boston and Los Angeles? :eek:

I hate the NBA as much as anyone but to question its popularity is silly. Its huge all across this country.

Game 7 delivered an 18.2 overnight rating, making it the highest-rated NBA game since 1998 (Bulls versus Jazz).

Thank you for backing up my point that nobody cares since Jordan left the Bulls with facts.

This article brings up a larger problem within the Twin Cities sports scene. That is the fact that there is too many sports for the amount of corporate dollars available. You have the "Big 4"(Vikings, Wolves, Twins, Wild), a BSC university(Gophers), plus a few other "minor" teams(Lynx, Swarm, StP Saints, Canterbury, etc), plus the constant talk about bring in a MLS team. Right now there simply isn't enough $$$ to make all those organization successful.

Then toss in the fact that the Twin Cities have more theater seats per capita outside of New York, you have even a bigger problem.

Oh and #3 is going to be the first team to set up and win big the soonest, so most likely Tubby and crew.

That's what the Gophers are!!! I knew they weren't good enough for BCS, but BSC makes sense ;)

I do think Gopher Football has a great core following, and 50,000 fans is definitely not insignificant. I'm talking about the amount of people that dislike the Gopher Football team in this state though.

I get ridiculed consistantly for being a Gopher Football fan, even by Alumni. It could be the company I am surrounded by, but I see it more than any other sports team in this market.

There are lots of Gopher T-Shirts and hats, very few Gopher Football T-Shirts and hats.

Huge compared to what? Bigger than hockey, sure. How do ratings of regular season games compare to those of the other major league sports?

Top Bottom