Who is next after Willie?

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
Sorry if there's already been a thread on this, but Willie getting the jersey treatment this weekend has me wondering who might be next.

Lenard, Jacobson and Jackson clearly will never happen (despite only playing 2 years, I'd say Jackson deserves it outside of the issues). Davis and Wilson were great players, but on crappy teams.

Is Lynch the next obvious choice when it happens (11th-ish all time in scoring at 1,355, 6th-ish in assists and on 2 legit good teams whose records still stand)? Or would Murph already be under consideration?

Is Quincy’s legacy tainted in any way due to the records being erased?

I think Minnesota should take a break from hanging jerseys in the rafters. Seems based on the success of the program, there are a lot of banners already hanging from the rafters. Don't get me wrong, all the guys up there were great players, but are the Gophers overdoing it compared to other schools? Most schools seem to have fewer retired jerseys.

I think Minnesota should take a break from hanging jerseys in the rafters. Seems based on the success of the program, there are a lot of banners already hanging from the rafters. Don't get me wrong, all the guys up there were great players, but are the Gophers overdoing it compared to other schools? Most schools seem to have fewer retired jerseys.

Who was the last jersey retired? I feel like its been a decade or more...

Who was the last jersey retired? I feel like its been a decade or more...

Randy Breuer was 2015, Garmaker and Mencel were in 2011, and Tucker and Skoog were in 2009.

I agree we need to pause. We have some greats hanging from The Rafters, but we do only have 1 Final Four in our history and only 2 BT championships since 1982. We aren't North Carolina.

That being said, I firmly expect Murphy to receive this honor at some point.

Go Gophers!!

Randy Breuer was 2015, Garmaker and Mencel were in 2011, and Tucker and Skoog were in 2009.

I agree we need to pause. We have some greats hanging from The Rafters, but we do only have 1 Final Four in our history and only 2 BT championships since 1982. We aren't North Carolina.

That being said, I firmly expect Murphy to receive this honor at some point.

Go Gophers!!

What Bleed said.

Murph is probably next, but there's no reason to rush it. No one has lifted the program to greatness for a long, long time. Don't rush into these things.

Somewhat off topic, but Willie’s retirement highlights Trent’s status as the only retiree who never made 1st-team All Big Ten. The NBA should be irrelevant. On the ‘82 championship team, Trent was the 3rd best player, after Breuer and Mitchell, who both made 1st-team All Big Ten. Based on pro potential, Trent made some all American teams, but none of the 4 (AP, UPI, NABC, USBWA) then used to determine consensus All American.

Sorry if there's already been a thread on this, but Willie getting the jersey treatment this weekend has me wondering who might be next.

Lenard, Jacobson and Jackson clearly will never happen (despite only playing 2 years, I'd say Jackson deserves it outside of the issues). Davis and Wilson were great players, but on crappy teams.

Is Lynch the next obvious choice when it happens (11th-ish all time in scoring at 1,355, 6th-ish in assists and on 2 legit good teams whose records still stand)? Or would Murph already be under consideration?

Even without the scandal, I don't see Jacobson as a jersey in the rafters guy. Sam was my favorite player growing up because he was from here. But looking at him objectively, not worthy. If he wasn't from here, his name wouldn't come up.

I agree on a pause. The Twins and Vikings have really cheapened who they enshrine in their halls/rings of honors type of things so that the honor is meaningless. The U shouldn't follow suit.

With as dirty and scandal ridden as college basketball is and without ramification, it's time for the U to, if not rehang the banners, at least bring those teams in from out of the cold and recognize that there were some fine basketball teams playing on the raised floor.

Top Bottom