Who is lying to Andre McDonald????????

This is ridiculous. Iowa is not 'Wde Receiver U' or anything remotely close to it. Not that Kill's teams have been known for passing a whole ton either, but to say Iowa sends a lot of receivers to the NFL is not right.

I dunno..... When I was 17 I was finalizing my paper work with my recruiter to enlist as soon as I turned 18 to serve in the United States Army as an PVT E-2

To me, that sounds pretty f'n dumb too. But thank you for your service.

Maybe McDonald meant players going to the NFL. As some of the other above posters stated, he's a 17-year-old being steered by grown men who could be used-car salesmen if football doesn't work out.

Still, I researched to see if Iowa has put out any decent wide receivers. I would throw Marvin McNutt into the discussion, just because I think he is probably the most talented wide out they have had in awhile. Iowa has had some pretty decent running backs and tight ends, but the list of former Hawkeyes currently on a roster is pretty thin.

In fact, it's currently at ONE, rookie Trey Stross.

Anyway, as a fan I'm hoping he ends up re-committing to the U, but he should do whatever is going to be the best for his own future.

Source: http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091410aaq.html

Hey, he said it not me. If he was quoted as saying it is a factor in his decision, then it is.

1) Are we sure he said it? I checked both Rivals and Scout and cannot find any quote close to that. I asked sonny for a link and he couldn't provide one. I have no debate that if McDonald said it as described here, then the young man is sorely mistaken. Obviously, Iowa is not a factory for NFL WRs. That's why I find it hard to believe that he flat out said "Iowa has a tradition of putting receivers into the NFL." Again, if he did, he's being misled by someone, that's for sure. We all agree on that.

2) If he did say it, was the quote directly related to Iowa or Ferentz or the WR position specifically? As another poster said, maybe McDonald was simply talking about Iowa's tradition of sending a lot of players regardless of position to the league. Or, could he have been talking about Iowa's current WR coach, who has probably put as many WRs into the NFL as any WR coach in the nation over the past 15 years?

1) Are we sure he said it? I checked both Rivals and Scout and cannot find any quote close to that. I asked sonny for a link and he couldn't provide one.

It's from an August 3rd Scout article titled "McDonald Is a Top Prospect"
He went his 4 schools (Min, Iowa, OSU, and Vandy) and said what he likes about all of them. Included in the Iowa portion was this quote: "It's only four hours away from home and I like their tradition of putting wide receivers in the NFL."

It's premium, but here is the link.

McDonald probably does have NFL aspirations...however, MN has never been a hindrance to players getting into the NFL. It is all about the players commitment.

People slam Brewster as a terrible coach, but Decker is in the NFL...(still wish MN would have drafted him and would have drafted M. Barber when he first entered). Weber is getting a fair shot with Denver. A number of players have been given opportunities to make it in the NFL.

McDonald is trying to make the right choice for himself and what he wants. It may simply be he wants to be a little farther then home. who knows. It is his decision.

Hope he chooses MN but not going to trash him if he goes elsewhere.

McDonald probably does have NFL aspirations...however, MN has never been a hindrance to players getting into the NFL. It is all about the players commitment.

People slam Brewster as a terrible coach, but Decker is in the NFL...(still wish MN would have drafted him and would have drafted M. Barber when he first entered). Weber is getting a fair shot with Denver. A number of players have been given opportunities to make it in the NFL.

Those players were Mason's though, it's hard to credit Brewster for recruiting players that came to the U long before he came to town.

Those players were Mason's though, it's hard to credit Brewster for recruiting players that came to the U long before he came to town.

Mason recruited, but most of their playing time was under Brewster...that was my point.

Anyway, if the Gophers can land Chance Allen and Jamel Harbison, that should help ease the pain of the loss a little anyway.

It's from an August 3rd Scout article titled "McDonald Is a Top Prospect"
He went his 4 schools (Min, Iowa, OSU, and Vandy) and said what he likes about all of them. Included in the Iowa portion was this quote: "It's only four hours away from home and I like their tradition of putting wide receivers in the NFL."

It's premium, but here is the link.

Thanks. I totally missed that.

And, I stand corrected. That is a misguided comment, clearly.

Unfortunately it sounds as though iowee now leads for Benedict McDonald largely due to this guy:

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021408aab.html

Hope he takes an HC job soon, but looks like all he wants to be is a career WR coach.

This is probably what McDonald was referring to in his sending WR's to the league quote...

Campbell joined the Michigan staff on February 20, 1995 and has coached some of Michigan's top wide receivers. His list of NFL products includes: Amani Toomer, a second-round draft pick of the New York Giants (1996); Mercury Hayes, a fifth-round pick of the New Orleans Saints (1996); 1997 Heisman Trophy winner Charles Woodson, a first-round pick of the Oakland Raiders (1998); Tai Streets, a fifth-round pick of the San Francisco 49ers (1999); Marcus Knight, a free agent pickup of the Oakland Raiders (2000); Terrell, the eighth pick of the 2001 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears; Walker, a third-round selection by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002); free agent signee Ronald Bellamy by the Miami Dolphins (2003); Edwards, the third pick of the 2005 NFL Draft by the Cleveland Browns and Jason Avant, a fourth-round pick of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2006.

What a biatch, confess your love for the home state school, say numerous times you've always wanted to be a gopher and no other offer would change that, then commit to it's most hated rival. Hopefully Rallis goes low on him this year....

I am fine with him leaving. IMO, he should focus on getting a degree and not worry about who is sending kids to the NFL. Why? If he is good enough the NFL will follow no matter where he is from. Even so the likelyhood of him playing in the NFL is very slim.

Whatev. I hope he doesn't ever get to hoist Floyd when he does in fact commit to the:pig:s

I think another interesting quote was from when he was talking about Minnesota and said: "Minnesota understands that I've gotta do what I have to do, and also I know that they have to do what's best for them. I will always be their top guy, and they're a great school."

I think the bolded part really shows part of the problem. IMO it reads like a "they need me more than I need them" attitude and a little egotistic. But that is just my opinion.

Top Bottom