Who is first to get their first D1 win?

Gophers will beat up on Montana A&M. UST may open against a P6 school. So I’ll go Johnson

He did say D1 win so playing schools from lower levels don't count. I would echo your guess though because the Gophers probably will open up with a weak D1 school at home whereas there's a very good chance that UST will play its first D1 game on the road.

He did say D1 win so playing schools from lower levels don't count. I would echo your guess though because the Gophers probably will open up with a weak D1 school at home whereas there's a very good chance that UST will play its first D1 game on the road.
I just made up a school. I think. Maybe Montana A&M exists. Gophers will open against a weaker opponent than UST is my guess.

UST playing a full D1 schedule? Summit league? Just not tournament eligible right? Will see one of their recruits from waseca on tv today in the state tourney

I would imagine minnesota will play some crappy team at home on opening night, so I'm going with ben johnson!

I would imagine minnesota will play some crappy team at home on opening night, so I'm going with ben johnson!
Paging Maryland Eastern Shore - they've been on our schedule as a cupcake in the past IIRC.

UST playing a full D1 schedule? Summit league? Just not tournament eligible right? Will see one of their recruits from waseca on tv today in the state tourney

It's pretty common for schools just entering D1 to not have a complete D1 schedule and have to fill in their schedule with lower division teams.

It's pretty common for schools just entering D1 to not have a complete D1 schedule and have to fill in their schedule with lower division teams.
Makes sense. Minnesota State Moorhead and Northern State would be good challenges.

I just made up a school. I think. Maybe Montana A&M exists.

Yes, I know that and I don't think Montana A&M exists but, if it did, it wouldn't be a D1 school. I'm fairly knowledgeable about these sort of things.

Montana State was Montana College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, many years ago.

Ryan Default playing for Waseca right now on channel 45 will be on St. Thomas next year

I think you have to be D1 for 5 years before you are tournament eligible.

Didn't St. Thomas get that waived because they were expelled from MIAC?
I believe the waiver you’re thinking of is that they didn’t have to go to DII and be there for a number of years first, before then being able to go DI. They were allowed to go direct from DIII to DI.

Every DII to DI transition I know of (Dakota schools) they had to do a five year transition where they weren’t eligible for NCAA post season.

But I’m sure that could be waived too.

Didn't St. Thomas get that waived because they were expelled from MIAC?
The conspiracy is they expelled themselves. St. John's beat them in football after they made it official they were going D1

The conspiracy is they expelled themselves. St. John's beat them in football after they made it official they were going D1
Ask any MIAC AD about St. Thomas getting "kicked out". They'll just give you a smile and a wink. The MIAC didn't want St. Thomas, and St. Thomas didn't want the MIAC. Worked out exactly how both parties wanted.

The comprehensive, large, research and growth focused St Thomas was no longer a fit with a bunch of liberal arts colleges.

I think they made the right move.

Ask any MIAC AD about St. Thomas getting "kicked out". They'll just give you a smile and a wink. The MIAC didn't want St. Thomas, and St. Thomas didn't want the MIAC. Worked out exactly how both parties wanted.
It was ideal, it rallies support for St. Thomas and allows them to grow the fan base outside of alumni. As you said it was a wink wink agreement for a school that wanted to go D1 but needs greater support than alums.

Last edited:

UST already had their coach. They hired their two assistants. Gameli Ahlegbe being one of them . Good hire. IF I remember correctly his name was mentioned as a replacement for Jeter when he left.

Top Bottom