WHO HATES IOWA?

gopheraddict

Reaction score
If you enjoy seeing Iowa lose as much as I do, check out this 13-minute video of Northwestern highlights from their win over the Hogeyes.

http://www.laketheposts.com/index.php/2010/11/cats-21-12-iowa-17-highlights-now-playing/

Revel especially in the faces of the Iowa fans at the end of the video. Our son, a Northwestern grad, reports that some Iowa fans refer to the Wildcats as jNW (as in Iowa should beat them because they are "just Northwestern"). That type of attitude makes a win like this all the more pleasing to him.

sorry, I don't hate Iowa, but I do Wiscy. IA coaches are good guys and don't diss Minny. I don't care what their restroom manners are since it makes for good humor and plenty of cannon fodder.

Iowa coaches are good people. Their fans lean towards the totally obnoxious however. I'd still take them over Wisky though. They need to get beaten down. I like the NW highlights, but it's death and taxes Iowa losing to them. You expect it.

i dislike iowa & wiscy but i will cheer for iowa in a bowl game...wiscy? not so much...

Yeah, Iowa has been nationally ranked for nearly two full seasons...it sucks watching an "irrelevant" team.

So relevant that you spend more time on this board than an Iowa board?

It must really suck to be so desperate for approval.

I choose to hate Iowa because at least they'll hate us back (see Papahawk21). I really don't think Wisconsin even thinks about us anymore, aside from a lame duck coach embarrassing himself after another beat down.

Iowa football had better be good, because they have absolutely nothing else. Win or lose, Minnesotans and Wisconsonites have plenty to pin their hopes and dreams on when a season reaches its end. In Iowa, that's it. The good thing about Nebraska joining the conference is that Iowans won't be alone in supporting their one-trick pony.

Iowa football had better be good, because they have absolutely nothing else. Win or lose, Minnesotans and Wisconsonites have plenty to pin their hopes and dreams on when a season reaches its end. In Iowa, that's it. The good thing about Nebraska joining the conference is that Iowans won't be alone in supporting their one-trick pony.

They got wrasslin!

sorry man - but....

hahaha...hey I am sorry ..but iowa fans are in general just obnoxious. I have been to many games over the the last couple of decades and I can sincerely tell you from my observations that these fans are the worst in the Big Ten. I understand and have met some iowa fans that are Okay...but the numbers are limited. And I have relatives that are from iowa and they are also extremely unpleasant when it comes to college football. What is the deal with this? Is this because there is no NFL in iowa?

Honestly, I hate Iowa more. I think it has to do with coming of age in the 1980s when they were good and we were okay 85-90. We cost them a outright title in 90.

^^^^^^ hates Iowa.

And I also hate Wisconsin, too.

I choose to hate Iowa because at least they'll hate us back (see Papahawk21). I really don't think Wisconsin even thinks about us anymore, aside from a lame duck coach embarrassing himself after another beat down.

I feel like I have been respectful on this board and been congratulatory when the Gophers have found success this season. Clearly, I want Iowa to beat Minnesota and remain superior to the Gophers in football but outside of a few historical quarrels I don't believe "hate" would accurately describe my commentary on this forum.

Who hates Iowee? Me hate Iowee! :D

Just kidding, 'hate' being such a strong word. But I do find them and their fans damned annoying, possibly even more so than Becky fans, which I realize would put me in the minority here. Maybe that's a southern Minnesota thing, as I lived down in Albert Lea for several years after graduation, and so was exposed much more to Iowegians and all things Hogeye than maybe the average Twin Cities resident. Anyway, they really bothered me. I do like their uniforms though, but that's about it.

And PapaHawk21 seems to be a fairly respectful Iowee fan from what I've seen of him, so I've got no problems with that guy as compared to many of his compatriots in Hogeye Nation, haha.

I HATE IOWA!
Yeah baby.

Seriously though, I was lukewarm going into the 08' game, but watching and listening to their fans at that game and just how disgusting and vile they are, there's no doubt that to me they make Badger drunks look classy and respectable.

To me, a drunken badger is annoying, loud, clueless, and stupid. Bottom line though, they probably care as much about getting drunk as the outcome of the game. They drink to celebrate their drunken sconnie heritage. I can handle that.

A drunken Hawkeye is an entirely different creature, mean and ready to lash out at all things civilized. They drink almost to get ready to do vile things. Their joy comes in finding ways to break down others lives to make their existence seem "right". It's no joke that they come up to the Twin Cities on a weekend from hell, they spend their money on booze and tickets using both to prop up their self worth. Look no further than our favorite PantherHawk, he's an outlier, but their are more like him in that fanbase than their classy fans like PapaHawk21 care to admit.

God help them and us when we get this thing turned around, because the anguish and hate will build much quicker on their side of the border after a few defeats and embarrassments, it will get to a point of violence or some ungodly incident.

In conclusion WHO?! HATES?! IOWAAA?!

I just got sick of how utterly and completely consumed many of them are with their dang football team, and in my opinion that about bordered on being unhealhy, and I felt like they maybe felt that way because to them, it's the 'only game in town' and thus the most worthwhile thing there is, and that's just sad. There's a hell of a lot more to life than what the damn college football team is doing, and if that's where one derives some personal measure of pride, then that's a problem, because what are they going to do if/when times turn hard again?

The Hogeyes are the classic big fish in a very small and limited bowl, while the Gophers are just one fish amongst many, many others, and both teams fans are reflective of that in my opinion. That's just been my exposure to them, and I will also say that I also met plenty of great people from Iowa that I feel fondly towards, ya know. There are nice people and not so nice everywhere, but that doesn't change my belief that a large number of Hawkeye are just what I would consider to be unhealthily obsessed with the fortunes of their football team, and that makes them act kind of like a**holes.

I just got sick of how utterly and completely consumed many of them are with their dang football team, and in my opinion that about bordered on being unhealhy, and I felt like they maybe felt that way because to them, it's the 'only game in town' and thus the most worthwhile thing there is, and that's just sad. There's a hell of a lot more to life than what the damn college football team is doing, and if that's where one derives some personal measure of pride, then that's a problem, because what are they going to do if/when times turn hard again?

The Hogeyes are the classic big fish in a very small and limited bowl, while the Gophers are just one fish amongst many, many others, and both teams fans are reflective of that in my opinion. That's just been my exposure to them, and I will also say that I also met plenty of great people from Iowa that I feel fondly towards, ya know. There are nice people and not so nice everywhere, but that doesn't change my belief that a large number of Hawkeye are just what I would consider to be unhealthily obsessed with the fortunes of their football team, and that makes them act kind of like a**holes.

I say this not to be offensive or condescending, but if the Gophers were a stronger program more people would be vocal in support, active in following the program on the road, and as a result may come across as "obsessive" or "unhealthy" in obsession. I lived in Minnesota from 2001-2007 before I began school at the University of Iowa. My family moved from North Carolina, where college sports is king, and we were honestly astonished at the lack of enthusiasm for the hometown University. Throughout high school, I kept trying to discern the lack of passion for Gopher football and honestly cannot come up with any other conclusion except that below average performance has caused apathy. I meet Gopher alumni all the time and when I ask them about their allegiances many simply seem to care less about U of M football. If the Gophers ever start consistently winning again, I think we will see that passion return to people in the state of Minnesota.

I am under no delusion that Iowa football is grand or rich with history in terms of success but the last 30 years have been pretty good for Hawk fans. An occasional Big10 title, some new year's day bowl games, winning records against rivals (Wisconsin and Minnesota) and fairly consistent finishes in the top half of the conference have given the state of Iowa a reason to remain passionate about the program and in some cases, be annoying and rude towards opposing fans. Many on this forum say they would never want to be like Iowa or Wisconsin but I have to imagine many of you would be thrilled to be in Iowa's shoes over the last 30 years or Wisconsin's since 1993. Hopefully, Hawk fans will respect Gopher tradition and pageantry over the Thanksgiving weekend and enjoy one of the Big10's better rivalry games.

Good post, PapaHawk. We may disagree on some things, but that may just be a matter of differing perceptions. Anyway, you're alright in my book, for whatever that's worth.

How many of you have been to games in Iowa City and Madison? I have been to several in both locations and in my opinion there is no comparison. The Wisconsin fans are BY FAR much more beligerant and condescending @ssholes. Try going to a game in Madison wearing the Maroon and Gold...

In my experience you can have fun back and forth with Iowa fans about each others teams and the upcoming game or result of the game. In Madison, not so much. Just a bunch of drunken @sses who want to fight. Seriously.

Last year at TCF we had a group of Wisconsin fans come to our tailgate after the game and attempted to crash it without knowing a single person there. I could not believe what I was watching. Not only did they try and crash it, they taunted our guy running the grill.

Not to mention that Bret Bielama is the head coach of the Badgers. That should be enough right there!

Anyway, the point of the rant is I actually respect Iowa and their traveling horde of fans. This does not mean I like Iowa and I want to beat them badly on the 27th. Whereas the Sconnies are a bunch of bandwagon fans who run their mouth at any opportunity.

I would much rather see us beat Wisconsin than Iowa (if I had to choose). The Iowa fans that I've seen up here over the years are absolutely obnoxious and crude. Any fan base has a few, but seems like Iowa fans have really cornered the market on those traits.

I think it's a similar situation with Wisconsin hockey and North Dakota hockey. North Dakota fans are obnoxious too. Much easier to handle the Wisky fans.

Top Bottom