Who has a better chance of taking Gophers to S16 or better? Flip or Tubby?

Who has a better chance of taking Gophers to S16 or better? Flip or Tubby?

• Flip

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • Tubby

Votes: 39 60.0%

• Total voters
Flip: Stats don't lie.

this thread made the most sense to post this article from Wages of Wins (advanced stats NBA Blog) which goes through Flip's firing in Washington. Found it very interesting that two coaches have stats to prove they improve player performance more than what an "average" NBA level coach would. One is Phil Jackson, the other is Flip Saunders.

Perhaps that would be enough to get the Gophs to the S16 if he took the helm, eh?

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/01/26/flip-gets-the-blameagain/

this thread made the most sense to post this article from Wages of Wins (advanced stats NBA Blog) which goes through Flip's firing in Washington. Found it very interesting that two coaches have stats to prove they improve player performance more than what an "average" NBA level coach would. One is Phil Jackson, the other is Flip Saunders.

Perhaps that would be enough to get the Gophs to the S16 if he took the helm, eh?

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/01/26/flip-gets-the-blameagain/

Not necessarily. Flip improves NBA players (according to your source), guys who spend 24/7/365 obsessed with working out and basketball.

In college, you don't just trust some GM to get you guys, you have to go get them. They are also managing school along with their working out and basketball and they are usually of a different initial skill level as well as mind set and age. There are strategic aspects of basketball that cross over between the NBA and the NCAA, but there are reasons why NBA coaches rarely dominate the college game and college coaches rarely dominate the NBA game.

Not necessarily. Flip improves NBA players (according to your source), guys who spend 24/7/365 obsessed with working out and basketball.

In college, you don't just trust some GM to get you guys, you have to go get them. They are also managing school along with their working out and basketball and they are usually of a different initial skill level as well as mind set and age. There are strategic aspects of basketball that cross over between the NBA and the NCAA, but there are reasons why NBA coaches rarely dominate the college game and college coaches rarely dominate the NBA game.

Was posting something I found interesting with a quip... thought the "eh" would have let on that I wasn't asserting anything as fact. However, when you are in the company of one of the greatest coaches of all-time in the NBA in an objective analysis (you have to read the book to see the full study), would think your chances of translating your approach across levels would be better than the average bear. But that's just me.

same story, different school

If college coaches were treated like NBA coaches Tubby would've been fired before last year ended. Tubby is the coach and GM of this team, at least Flip has the excuse that he wasn't the one assembling "talent." The last time he put his own team together was in the CBA and he won 2 championships in 4 years.

Tubby is doing the same thing here he did at Kentucky, poor recruiting and underperforming. If he wouldn't have quit he would've been fired there and it's heading that way here too.

I stand by what I voted for last month. Flip for sure. No way Tubby takes the Gophers to the Sweet 16.

Really stupid thread. Flip has zero chance has being the head coach is a prerequisite to taking them anywhere.

THE SCOUT! said:
Really stupid thread. Flip has zero chance has being the head coach is a prerequisite to taking them anywhere.

Speak English!

THE SCOUT! said:
Agree. Flip will never coach the Gophers. Tubby will coach this young team and get an extension.

Top Bottom