Who else is going to Michigan State this week?

MplsGopherFan

Reaction score
Who else will be in East Lansing this weekend? Where are people going Friday night and Saturday before/after the game? I'm flying in Friday afternoon. I've never been to East Lansing. Do people have suggestions on things to do and fun places to go out?

Who else will be in East Lansing this weekend? Where are people going Friday night and Saturday before/after the game? I'm flying in Friday afternoon. I've never been to East Lansing. Do people have suggestions on things to do and fun places to go out?

3 of us are heading out on Delta Friday morning. No GLC outing that I am aware of prior to the game. Not sure if there is any sort of rally Friday night either.

I have two tickets but was scheduled to work at my new job Saturday night so I won't be able to make it.

I'll be there. Spartan Hall of Fame Cafe and Leo's Lodge are good places to eat. Hall of Fame Cafe has all kinds of memorabilia if you like that kind of stuff.

If you're getting there Thursday night or Friday morning also a chance to see MSU hoops play Mount Saint Mary's Friday afternoon. Tickets still available.

My first Gopher game in 10 years! I am one excited alum! I asked a co-worker for the scoop on having a great time MSU-style. She sent the following email! Extremely helpful, thorough, gracious of her!

"I know there are some festivities before the game – but honestly I worked for the football team as a hostess to the donors – so I never got to experience them! The band marches across campus, past the bronze Sparty statue and into the game – that’s pretty impressive from what I hear.

If you don’t have parking passes to a designated lot, I’d recommend parking at the commuter lot – and riding the bus in. I believe its $4. Round trip and takes you right to the doors of the stadium. Here’s directions to that lot from your location.

Get on 96 East bound, travel less than 1 mile to the 496 exit. You can only go east. Go east. Follow this until it ends –about 7 miles - no exiting. It will spit you out onto 127S. Follow 127 south to the 1st exit you come to – Jolly Road. Turn Left onto Jolly. It will end at a T, you’re officially on campus – the agricultural side of it – but still. Turn Left onto the Road that it T’s with, I can’t remember what it’s named, sorry. Follow this road as it curves. You’ll pass the horse farms and both golf courses, the planetarium and then the pavilion. When you see the pavilion (large barns and buildings) on your left, Turn LEFT onto Farm Lane. At the corner of Farm Lane, and Mt. Hope, you’ll find the commuter lot. It’ll be PACKED with tailgaters. (Of which I’m very likely to be one – and you and your friends are WELCOME to join us! – Let me know if you want more details.) This is probably more “mild” tailgating than what you’ll find closer to the stadium, but we have a lot of fun!

Regardless now that you know how to get to the game – you need to know where to eat.

Here are my suggestions:
Leo’s Lodge – American flavors with a woodsmen’s flare. Follow above directions but instead of turning Left onto Jolly, Turn Right. Follow it around. At the light turn Right again, and then right directly into the parking lot – it’s behind the gas station. Perfect for after the game.

Harrison Roadhouse – an MSU institution – great grub. Follow the above directions, but this time you’re going to EXIT 496. Take 496 to the Trowbridge Exit (I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THIS EXIT ON GAME DAY BEFORE THE GAME STARTS – it gets kind of like a parking lot). Follow the Trowbridge exit as it curves around. It will end at a T – again, you’re now officially on Campus. Turn Left at the T. This is Harrison Road (I think). Follow the road past some apartments, the ice rink, the stadium ,the Breslin Center, and the hotel (all on your right hand side). When you reach the corner of Michigan Ave & Harrison, the Harrison Road house will be on your right hand side, just over Michigan.
** Side note – turning Right onto Michigan will bring you into Downtown East Lansing.
** turning Left on Michigan will bring you to the Michigan Capital building.
** if you want to go here on game day before the game (it’ll be busy but worth it)– let me know and I’ll get you other directions through town that aren’t going to be parking lot like.

Georgio’s Pizza – amazing pizza by the slice – I love this place – I used to eat it at 3 am. . . . now 3pm is just fine 
Follow the above directions to the Harrison Road house – this time TURN Right onto Michigan. Follow for a bit. You’ll see Campus on your right, and the down town East Lansing area on your left. Look for the building that looks like a gerbil cage. No, I’m serious. Orange and Blue Gerbil cage on your left. Turn left onto Charles Street. Georgio’s is on the first floor of the gerbil cage. Nothing fancy – but AMAZING pie.

El Azteco – I wouldn’t recommend the food, and I know you’re not big drinkers – but the margaritas with the chips and the white dipping sauce are pretty darn tasty. If you were heading to east Lansing sometime other than the last weekend of November – I’d suggest going here and sitting on the roof to enjoy EL in student style. LOL. but it was noteworthy enough to share with you. “Teco” as it’s called – is behind the gerbil cage and to the West, on Ann Street.

This whole area is worth walking around if you can find a parking spot. LOTS of shops, things to do and see.

On the west side – there’s a good classy place (but not fancy) called Houlihans’ Good food. OK service. Great atmosphere. From your hotel, follow Grand River East (away from the highway) - Houlihans is in the Lansing Mall (has an outside entrance as well) – It will be on your left, across the street from a “Meijer”

If you aren’t from Michigan – and haven’t been to a Meijer before – it’s another place that’s worth a stop. It’s like Walmart or Super Target – but better
Other good Eats on the West side are INGcredible – it’s Cheap Chinese food – but surprisingly good for fast food. From your hotel, go West (under the highway) and look for it on your left hand side. It’s one of the last places in the strip mall – turn at the last stop light you can see to get into their parking lot

Reno’s West – turn east out of the hotel (away from the highway) – it’s a big sports bar. I was never crazy about it – but it is Sparty style. Reno’s will be on your Right. (sorry distance from the hotel escapes me. . .) There’s also a Outback this direction (on the left) and a Cheddars (on the right). All on Grand River Ave.

Emils – Italian yumminess – This one is kind of a bitch to get to - but worth going to. It’s kind of a divvy yet savory hole in the wall. It’s very Old School. I recommend the chicken tortellini soup. This is also on Michigan Street – but there’s no good route to get there – so I guess, follow the directions to Harrison Road House, this time turning LEFT onto Michigan. Emils will be in a dodgy section of town long before you get to the capital, and after you’ve gone under a highway. It’s on the left hand side, parking is behind the building. It’s Yellow with Red awnings. Hard to miss.

I’m not sure if you guys are into Sushi or authentic Asian cuisine – but if you are – there are SOME AMAZING places in East Lansing. Maru, Asia House, Korea House just to name a few. Again – let me know if you need directions there.

So here’s some things I’d suggest checking out on Campus. These buildings are typically open for anyone to check out:
The Union – If you were going to Georgio’s Pizza, you’d turn Right into campus at the first light. The union is on the left. You’ll be on the North West corner of campus.

The International building – This is just east of the Stadium. If you’re on the south side of the stadium, turn left and walk across the street, and down one building – follow the crowd – the bookstore in the basement of the International building is probably one of the best places to get MSU swag.

Beaumount Tower – I have a picture of this in my office.  It is the face of MSU other than Sparty. It’s in the center of campus – huge clock tower. Couldn’t tell you the name of the streets to get there – but it gives you a great feel for MSU. I’d visit the Bronze Sparty too. He’s VERY cool.
I hope you guys have an amazing time in Lansing! It’s a fun quirky city with a great University. "

Go Gophers!!!!

Also take a look at the Magic Johnson statue outside of the Breslin Center. I've seen it dozens of times and I still think it looks more like Morgan Freeman than the Magic Man.

MSU Alum here. This is our first home game since the Big Ten started playing games on Thanksgiving weekend. The ticket office appears to be desperately trying to get butts-in-seats as they are allowing students to "Bring a Friend" and some fairly cheap seats have been released in the lower bowl this week. Couple this with a noon kick and frigid temperatures and it appears it will be a very poor turnout, which is unfortunate for those of you will be attending a game at Spartan Stadium for the first time.

Anybody have any tailgating plans for there? Or I guess what is the tailgating atmosphere like there? Heading out Friday morning and looking forward to picking up that 9th win!

MSU Alum here. This is our first home game since the Big Ten started playing games on Thanksgiving weekend. The ticket office appears to be desperately trying to get butts-in-seats as they are allowing students to "Bring a Friend" and some fairly cheap seats have been released in the lower bowl this week. Couple this with a noon kick and frigid temperatures and it appears it will be a very poor turnout, which is unfortunate for those of you will be attending a game at Spartan Stadium for the first time.
Yes, it seems that way. When I booked this trip in October, I was shocked to find tickets on Stubhub for significantly below face value. I ended up buying great tickets in the lower bowl for less than $30!

Not many Gopher fans out in East Lansing tonight. We've seen a total of six. #disappointing

Top Bottom