Who do you blame for Gophers epic season collapse?

Who do you blame for Gophers epic season collapse?

• Tubby

Votes: 70 80.5%
  • The bench

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • The seniors

Votes: 10 11.5%

• Total voters
Adolph Rupp for setting all those "unreasonable" expectations for the UK fan base such as signing players who can shoot a basketball from more than three feet.

You'll have to excuse these players for not becoming a Victor Oladipo. That goes far beyond coaching.

This might be the only place where improving your FG% from .370 to .532 and FT% from .455 to .714 is not considered a good improvement. Or where almost doubling your AST/TO ratio doesn't mean anything. How about doubling your blocks per game while only getting a few more minutes? Nah, that's not improvement. Blake Hoffarber's defense improved a ton over his career, but defense is way overrated of course.

This might be the only place where improving your FG% from .370 to .532 and FT% from .455 to .714 is not considered a good improvement. Or where almost doubling your AST/TO ratio doesn't mean anything. How about doubling your blocks per game while only getting a few more minutes? Nah, that's not improvement. Blake Hoffarber's defense improved a ton over his career, but defense is way overrated of course.

I have a high expectation of what Hoffarber could have been given the right coach. Hoffarber had the potential to be what Steve Alford was to Indiana. Coach Knight did a phenomenal job of building around Alford and designing specific plays that built on the strengths that Alford had as an offensive player. Tubby NEVER did that for Hoffarber. Instead, Tubby did what he always does...he threw Hoffarber under the bus.

I am not blaming the kids for not reaching their potential. I am blaming Tubby Smith. The writing has been on the wall for the past 3 or 4 years and yet people here at the GH still are clinging to Tubby like a leach. I implore you...let go. The man can't coach offense to save his job. He proved it at Kentucky and now he's proving it again at Minnesota. Let him retire and then have pity on the kids who failed to reach their potential under his leadership.

I have a high expectation of what Hoffarber could have been given the right coach. Hoffarber had the potential to be what Steve Alford was to Indiana. Coach Knight did a phenomenal job of building around Alford and designing specific plays that built on the strengths that Alford had as an offensive player. Tubby NEVER did that for Hoffarber. Instead, Tubby did what he always does...he threw Hoffarber under the bus.

I am not blaming the kids for not reaching their potential. I am blaming Tubby Smith. The writing has been on the wall for the past 3 or 4 years and yet people here at the GH still are clinging to Tubby like a leach. I implore you...let go. The man can't coach offense to save his job. He proved it at Kentucky and now he's proving it again at Minnesota. Let him retire and then have pity on the kids who failed to reach their potential under his leadership.

This is a somewhat sensitive subject for many, and in no way am I trying to say this excuses the recent downward trend. It doesn't.

But, imagine you are a super hard working kid. You want to spend 4 hours a day working on your game getting better in the off season and really show the Big 10 what you've got next year!

Only problem is half the time you get to the court you can't use it, a quarter of the time you are kicked off and sometimes your workout goes uninterrupted.

People like to rag on the practice facility as just an excuse, but it really makes a difference in recruiting and I'd argue player development as well.

When MSU has 5 star recruits working out whenever they want to getting better and you have 3 star recruits working out occasionally, when the schedule allows, it's obvious which group is going to improve quicker and further along.

Practice creates improvement and when you have no where to practice at times, how do you improve?

I guess I view improving and reaching potential as two different things. Players improve all the time without reaching their highest potential. I don't disagree with what you're saying. I just think he still got better overall as player in his four years and that was the initial argument.

I'm not sure if this directed at me or just in general, but I'm with you. Unless things change drastically very soon, he probably has to go. I'm just as frustrated as anyone with the pathetic offense at times. Just doesn't make sense to me.

My issue with some people on GH is that they assume if people defend anything Tubby related, that they think he's doing a good job. That's not the case most of the time. Yes, I do think Tubby has brought in more talent than we've seen in a long time. And yes, I do think he has developed some players. That doesn't mean I can't think he's done a terrible job overall the past few years and probably should be fired.

I guess I view improving and reaching potential as two different things. Players improve all the time without reaching their highest potential. I don't disagree with what you're saying. I just think he still got better overall as player in his four years and that was the initial argument.

I'm not sure if this directed at me or just in general, but I'm with you. Unless things change drastically very soon, he probably has to go. I'm just as frustrated as anyone with the pathetic offense at times. Just doesn't make sense to me.

My issue with some people on GH is that they assume if people defend anything Tubby related, that they think he's doing a good job. That's not the case most of the time. Yes, I do think Tubby has brought in more talent than we've seen in a long time. And yes, I do think he has developed some players. That doesn't mean I can't think he's done a terrible job overall the past few years and probably should be fired.

Fair enough.

Joel Maturi and Tubby. I'd like to blame everything on those two.

I will still blame Joel for problems in the athletic department fives year down the road.

Should have been an all of the above option.

Tubby gets the blame for recruiting and not having players ready to play
The starters are to blame for not executing and being able to preform the way we know they are capable of on a nightly basis
The bench gets to share the blame for not being able to provide quality minutes off the bench.

Yawnnnn...the negativity on here is so predictable. Can we at
Least wait until the regular season is over before we are using words like collapse? We are one game below 500 in the toughest conference in America by far. If we beat Indiana I wonder who will be to blame for our successful season?

Well, the plane isn't in a full nose dive. It's only descending at a 55 degree angle and is 2,000 feet above ground. Maybe someone is strong enough to right the plane. :cool02:

Well, the plane isn't in a full nose dive. It's only descending at a 55 degree angle and is 2,000 feet above ground. Maybe someone is strong enough to right the plane. :cool02:

Where's Whip Whitaker when you need him? Answer: Likely drinking with Dr. Don! :p

A lot of facetious responses here, I'm assuming mostly bred by disappointment, and I'm right on board with all of that, just massively disappointed with the sharp downward turn this season has taken. Losers of two in a row (while being entirely non-competitive in the process), losers of four our last five and eight our last eleven, all jokes aside, it fricken hurts terribly, given all the promise this season once represented. It pains me in a way it probably shouldn't, but such is the nature of being a fan, I suppose, and this one hurts badly.

And so far as to whom ultimate responsibility belongs, well as the credo that our beloved President Harry Truman lived by and exemplified and had posted atop his desk in the Oval Office (and which since so sadly seems to have disappeared), "The buck stops here", meaning right at the top, and how could it do anything but? When you assume that position at the head of the entire body, well of course it all belongs to you, the glory, the failure, the in-between, the lot and all of it, and when you're in that premier position both blessed and cursed, what takes place under your stewardship and watch absolutely does belong to you and you alone, and to claim anything less is to abdicate that which has been given you, and to be a bloody coward in doing so.

Whether you're the leader a nation or merely a team of boys playing basketball, the principle lies the same.

I think Tubby's a good man at heart, and was once one hell of a basketball coach, but I wonder anymore that he hasn't simply checked out, and at any rate, I find it shameful how he throws his boys under the bus while denying any personal responsibility his own. I'd love to tell him, "You are the head, my friend, and this all belongs to you."

And it's not a matter of 'blame' so far I see it, it's simply a matter of taking responsibility.

It does no good pointing fingers, in fact that's entirely counter-productive, but honest to God, I'd love the man just own up to his own failures as the person at the very top the heap, rather than point his own finger of blame the players beneath him.

That poor trait has unfortunately made me lose an entire world full of respect for Mr. Tubby Smith.

Tubby has lost the team and the fan base. Once you do that it's near impossible to get them back. I don't seen any improvement in any regard. Time for a change.

Okay, here's my challenge to you....tell me who has greatly improved under this staff's tutelage? I'll narrow it down even more...is there one player who made even middling improvement on any of the squads the past three years? I'm honestly not trying to be a richard here...I want to feel good about my alma mater and its teams, but it has been so difficult the past 5 years (hockey and non-revenue sports excluded).

In addition to your point, who has greatly improved since leaving this staff's tutelage? Iverson & Cobbs come to mind.

In addition to your point, who has greatly improved since leaving this staff's tutelage? Iverson & Cobbs come to mind.

I would expect just about any big ten player that transfers to a lower tier conference to have a lot of success. Cobbs wasn't here for a second year so I don't know how u can say he wouldn't have been better?

I would expect just about any big ten player that transfers to a lower tier conference to have a lot of success. Cobbs wasn't here for a second year so I don't know how u can say he wouldn't have been better?
One thing we know for sure, in UW's system Iverson would've had far better B1G career. I blame Tubby 100% for Iverson's lack of development and position behind RSIII in the pecking order.

And you can't say he would have gotten better staying with this coaching staff. Point is, they left for a reason and, in my opinion, it was due to the current coaching regime.

One thing we know for sure, in UW's system Iverson would've had far better B1G career. I blame Tubby 100% for Iverson's lack of development and position behind RSIII in the pecking order.

+1

I'll go one step farther and say the same for Oto.

+1

I'll go one step farther and say the same for Oto.

I can see it now, Colton Iverson - 3 Point marksmen!

To take it a step further, while we are discussing how I am being told any player, regardless of anything, is successfull at UW ...

What if I told you Bo Ryan once signed a 4-Star recruit. The 45th player overall in his class and the 7th best center in his class. That player had a much much more successful career after leaving UW in the NBA than he did in the heralded UW system.

That player averaged 10 MPG for his career, 2.7 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 1.0 blocks per game.

Bo Ryan played other guys in front of this future NBA player, he put up awful numbers in Bo's system. All he needed was a chance and Bo never played him! I'd guess he has had a better NBA career than anyone Bo played ahead of him. Bo must be a moron!

That player is current Minnesota Timberwolves backup center and former Boston Celtic Greg Stiemsma.

Bo got very poor output from one of the top recruits and yet we are ready to say he'd have turned Colton Iverson and Oto Osenieks into all-stars? I get that Tubby is a disapointment, but come on folks. Can we stop pretending every other coach in the entire world would have won 4 national titles at Minnesota and recruited a top 5 class every year? Or that no other coach in the entire world has guys that aren't successful for them and improve elsewhere? It happens! Maybe with Tubby more than others (I have no idea ...), but no coach is perfect and they all slip up.

And you can't say he would have gotten better staying with this coaching staff. Point is, they left for a reason and, in my opinion, it was due to the current coaching regime.

Correct, I never said he would have. Just saying he didn't have the opportunity. Cobbs left because he was home sick

Tubby's 'coaching tree' doesn't seem to be very large.

I can see it now, Colton Iverson - 3 Point marksmen!

To take it a step further, while we are discussing how I am being told any player, regardless of anything, is successfull at UW ...

What if I told you Bo Ryan once signed a 4-Star recruit. The 45th player overall in his class and the 7th best center in his class. That player had a much much more successful career after leaving UW in the NBA than he did in the heralded UW system.

That player averaged 10 MPG for his career, 2.7 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 1.0 blocks per game.

Bo Ryan played other guys in front of this future NBA player, he put up awful numbers in Bo's system. All he needed was a chance and Bo never played him! I'd guess he has had a better NBA career than anyone Bo played ahead of him. Bo must be a moron!

That player is current Minnesota Timberwolves backup center and former Boston Celtic Greg Stiemsma.

Bo got very poor output from one of the top recruits and yet we are ready to say he'd have turned Colton Iverson and Oto Osenieks into all-stars? I get that Tubby is a disapointment, but come on folks. Can we stop pretending every other coach in the entire world would have won 4 national titles at Minnesota and recruited a top 5 class every year? Or that no other coach in the entire world has guys that aren't successful for them and improve elsewhere? It happens! Maybe with Tubby more than others (I have no idea ...), but no coach is perfect and they all slip up.
Greg Stiemsma took far longer to develop, he spent four years abroad or in minor league basketball, Iverson could play from day one and was mismanaged throughout his Gopher career. It seems obvious to me that Iverson would've enjoyed a far better career at UW.

Top Bottom