Reaction score
Our CB's
-Traye Simmons and Marcus Sherrels

Our DT's
-Garrett Brown and Eric Small

or

Our LB's
-Nate Tripplett, Simoni Lawrence, and Lee Campbell

I am going with our LB'ers by a long shot. Campbell made a lot of plays this year and he should be applauded for for his Jr. and Sr. years. These graduating LB'ers I will miss.

What does everyone else think?

Garrett Brown and Eric Small.

1. We rotate DL
2. They were strong and effective in the middle.
3. Small even led the team in sacks, if I remember my stats correctly.
4. They ate up blockers and made our LB's look good.

Our CBs, only because of the lack of depth/experience we have coming up behind them.

We have a lot of young studs coming up at LB, and I think Kirksey and Edwards are better than Small and Brown.

PS: Fix your sig.

I have always thought that our Brown and Small have gotten waaaaaaaaaayy too much attention this year. We did not have a dominant D-Line but there was some perception that we did.

Also, do we rotate DT's because of our philosophy, or is it because Edwards and Kirksey are too good to keep off the field?

We will miss every single one of them. The defense this year will be more talented but will defintely struggle. Hopefully by 2011 things will turn around.

I have always thought that our Brown and Small have gotten waaaaaaaaaayy too much attention this year. We did not have a dominant D-Line but there was some perception that we did.

Also, do we rotate DT's because of our philosophy, or is it because Edwards and Kirksey are too good to keep off the field?

It is my understanding that it is philosophy. DL wear down pretty quick, as they are always chasing and are always taking physical contact. That also supports the idea that a strong running offense will get better as the game goes on, since the defense will have been worn down(specifically on the D-line). It is also why DT is such a need at every school.

On the flip side Edwards and Kriksey are very good, and I never really noticed a big drop off when they were in. Sometimes I would catch myself saying hell of a play by <insert name> and realize I missed the substitution, and I pulled a Dave Lee by saying the wrong name.

D-Line will continue to be the foundation to make our Secondary/LB's look good.

Does anyone else agree with me that Lee Campbell became one of our better middle linebackers in quite some time? Or am I just delusional?

Does anyone else agree with me that Lee Campbell became one of our better middle linebackers in quite some time? Or am I just delusional?

Yes. I also think he was that Alpha leader type like Theret. The kind that has no problem getting into people's faces and demanding the best, despite they aren't perfect themselves.

I'm not sure who will replace him.

I think our LB's were solid this year and even turned in a few very big plays for us. I believe that we have more talent coming up through the ranks, but i'm not sure they'll be as solid their first year starting.

I think Kirksey and Edwards will be fine. Excellent players that are probably more talented than the guys they are replacing. The depth at the DT position is a major concern, though. Who are the next two DT behind them?

I think Simmons and Sherels were bad. If they are replaced by bad players, we'll be no worse off. Carter will likely start, and he's an upgrade over either of them. That means we'll be better at CB next year.

Garrett Brown and Eric Small.

1. We rotate DL
2. They were strong and effective in the middle.
3. Small even led the team in sacks, if I remember my stats correctly.
4. They ate up blockers and made our LB's look good.[/QUOTE]

Bingo

I've always found the "the ate up blockers" argument to be laughable.

There are 5 offensive lineman and ussually 4 defensive lineman. I sure hope that a Defensive lineman can occupy a offensive lineman long enough for a linebacker to make a play.

I always thought Sherels was really soft. Always saw him backpeddle to make a tackle. Never was agressive and went up to make the hit. Carter and Collado will be an upgrade in my opinion.

I've always found the "the ate up blockers" argument to be laughable.

There are 5 offensive lineman and ussually 4 defensive lineman. I sure hope that a Defensive lineman can occupy a offensive lineman long enough for a linebacker to make a play.

What you want is a DT to take up two. Force a Lineman to double team, and that automatically reduces a linemen that can get to a LB. A good double team will start the push on the DT and move them backwards into a LB so either they wall off the LB, or a Lineman can peel off and pick up the LB. However if a DT can hold the point of attack (and even better push the lineman back) then the LB is free to read the Running back and meet him in the whole the RB chooses.

It isn't laughable at all.

I always thought Sherels was really soft. Always saw him backpeddle to make a tackle. Never was agressive and went up to make the hit. Carter and Collado will be an upgrade in my opinion.

Sherels played with injuries and it really showed. :(.

I'm going to say CB just because of depth and experience. At DT we lose two great ones but will have two solid starters probably even more talented. LB, so many options hopefully we can field an effective group. CB, all we have is Michael Carter and many ?'s

Top Bottom