Which new Gophers football players are standing out in training camp?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

True freshmen make a mark

If Zach Evans plays a lot this season, that's an indication he's either blossomed quickly or things have gone terribly wrong in the Gophers backfield. The true freshman from Rockwall-Heath (Texas) High School received extended play during spring practice while Mohamed Ibrahim and Trey Potts eased their way back from season-ending injuries. Now that Ibrahim and Potts are carrying the bulk of the load during training camp, Evans has seen fewer reps. But in the small sample size in which media members could watch camp, he was impressive. The Gophers likely want to redshirt Evans, but they should feel confident in his abilities in case they have to use him.

"We had nine playmakers out on offense [last year], and we still found a way to win nine games,'' Fleck said. "But [depth] can be a lot better, and we never know when we're going to be put in that role.''

On defense, Fleck sees a bright future, maybe even this season, for true freshman safety Coleman Bryson.

"When the offensive coordinator at some point looks up and comes back to you and says, 'That kid's going to be a hell of a player,' that's when you know that kid is opening a lot of eyes,'' Fleck said.

Go Gophers!!

9 playmakers is a lot! I was trying to think of who…obviously Mo, Potts, Bryce, CAB, Wright. Obviously missing some folks anyone recall?

9 playmakers is a lot! I was trying to think of who…obviously Mo, Potts, Bryce, CAB, Wright. Obviously missing some folks anyone recall?
Daniel Jackson missed a ton of time. Clay Geary missed most of the season, didn't he? Stretch to call him a playmaker though.

Daniel Jackson missed a ton of time. Clay Geary missed most of the season, didn't he? Stretch to call him a playmaker though.
Oh yes DJ for sure. Maybe one of the other backs missed some time but don’t recall.

Mo, Wiley, Williams, Jackson, CAB, Wright, MBS, Potts, Geary?

Was responding to the 9 players out last year question.
Oh, OK. Thought you were saying they were standing out in practice. Wiley transferred to Akron. I do not recall seeing Williams with any carries in the practice I attended. Perhaps still recovering or has dropped done on the depth chart?

Top Bottom