Which is worse?

Is our offensive playcalling or QB coaching worse?

• Offensive playcalling - find a new OC

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • QB coaching - find a new QB coach

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Equally abysmal

Votes: 45 67.2%

• Total voters

matt

Let's get weird
Reaction score
Our offensive playcalling or QB coaching? Do they have anything in common?🤔

It's back to Sanford, a system that seems intentionally meant to never get your QB confident and in a rhythm.

Been saying it for years lets get an air raid guy. PJ can still run our heavy personnel and zone run game but the OC can add some QB friendly passing concepts and creativity

None of the above.
The below average recruiting over the last 7 years and the evolution of college football has relegated us to a lower tier in the P5 world. The best game plan, with a successful veteran OC, would not have been useful last night. Because of the huge disparity at every position against MI, you could have flipped their coaching staff for ours, and the results would still have been the same.

None of the above.
The below average recruiting over the last 7 years and the evolution of college football has relegated us to a lower tier in the P5 world. The best game plan, with a successful veteran OC, would not have been useful last night. Because of the huge disparity at every position against MI, you could have flipped their coaching staff for ours, and the results would still have been the same.
Nonsense

None of the above.
It all starts with recruiting

Been saying it for years lets get an air raid guy. PJ can still run our heavy personnel and zone run game but the OC can add some QB friendly passing concepts and creativity
Correct. You can still run the ball and have creativity in pass game. I also think playing faster creates better matchups. Every time we huddle and substitute, the defense gets to rest and substitute. We need someone that can react to what the defense is doing and exploit something.

None of the above.

agreed, but i can confirm the pay sites tout our recruiting over and over and hype every commit like it’s game changers and our recruiting is not materially better than it was under kill/Claeys. maybe up 5-10 spots nationally but that’s just low 50s to low 40s, doesn’t move the needle but i can confirm 247 local tells us our recruiting is elite

Didn't have an issue with the play calling really and not sure I'd pin blame on how AK is coached either. It comes down to a DL that clearly outclasses our OL. The entire line play was terrible in pass protection!

None of the above unless you count the OL getting their ass kicked as play calling. It could be play calling, I suppose, if you count blocking scheme as part of that. Michigan constantly had pressure coming from all directions. No pass plays work when the QB has zero time to throw.

edit add: would any plays have worked better if the coordinator kept one or two tight ends in with a RB to help block? Probably not as that would left only a couple receivers running routes, but the score might have been closer.

Say it forever but Fleck will never hire an aggressive OC and more to the point, a proven successful guy would never work for Fleck.

The fact of the matter is Fleck hired a guy with no previous OC or QB coach experience to do both of those jobs. That's putting a lot of confidence in someone who is new to those two things.

Harbaugh has a single year contract if I'm not mistaken. Idk how you renew his current contract if this continues. Sure, the O-line wasn't keeping the pocket open, but it seems like they weren't calling any quick developing plays or plays that intentionally move the pocket or move AK out of the pocket to make up for it.

AK has the talent, but is quite raw. You need to hire a QB coach who has experience coaching QBs that have gotten accolades before to know that he knows what he is doing. Even better if that guy has OC experience and has coached well performing offenses.

I think PJ got Sanford thinking he got a guy like that, but either didn't look into the stats on the QBs and offenses Sanford coached, or thought his run first philosophy would cover that up. Either way, it scared him into an internal hire this time. We *used* to have internal OC and QB coach experience, I believe it was the previous TE coach, however he left with Sanford to Colorado, so there really wasn't any experience internally to pull from.

I just hope that we hit the drawing board on the offensive side this off season. We need en experienced QB coach that can help Athan with his raw talent and we desperately need a more creative OC.

The fact of the matter is Fleck hired a guy with no previous OC or QB coach experience to do both of those jobs. That's putting a lot of confidence in someone who is new to those two things.

Harbaugh has a single year contract if I'm not mistaken. Idk how you renew his current contract if this continues. Sure, the O-line wasn't keeping the pocket open, but it seems like they weren't calling any quick developing plays or plays that intentionally move the pocket or move AK out of the pocket to make up for it.

AK has the talent, but is quite raw. You need to hire a QB coach who has experience coaching QBs that have gotten accolades before to know that he knows what he is doing. Even better if that guy has OC experience and has coached well performing offenses.

I think PJ got Sanford thinking he got a guy like that, but either didn't look into the stats on the QBs and offenses Sanford coached, or thought his run first philosophy would cover that up. Either way, it scared him into an internal hire this time. We *used* to have internal OC and QB coach experience, I believe it was the previous TE coach, however he left with Sanford to Colorado, so there really wasn't any experience internally to pull from.

I just hope that we hit the drawing board on the offensive side this off season. We need en experienced QB coach that can help Athan with his raw talent and we desperately need a more creative OC.
I don’t understand why Fleck is so absolute dog shit at hiring an OC/QB coach???? It’s crazy he can’t find an up and comer like the guy who became the DC at Rutgers, only on the offensive side of the ball. Call Bob Nielson at South Dakota. Hell, call about 50 guys before the last 2 he’s hired.

Didn't have an issue with the play calling really and not sure I'd pin blame on how AK is coached either. It comes down to a DL that clearly outclasses our OL. The entire line play was terrible in pass protection!
The gameplan is so basic it is very predictable and doesn't challenge the defenses to adjust because they don't have to adjust. They can run basic sets.

He was running for his life for a chunk of the game that’s for sure. That Michigan d line is legit but I would think they could have played a little better than they did.

The gameplan is so basic it is very predictable and doesn't challenge the defenses to adjust because they don't have to adjust. They can run basic sets.
And the defense will sit on the out route passes and the slants. It’s just a matter of time before they jump a route it seems

It's hard to tell how creative the play calling was when Athan has less than two seconds to hold the ball. To quote 'Necessary Roughness', ''They haven't seen the play yet!"

It's hard to tell how creative the play calling was when Athan has less than two seconds to hold the ball. To quote 'Necessary Roughness', ''They haven't seen the play yet!"
Honestly, I think we should let the kid use his legs a little more. More designed runs perhaps. So far, running away from defenses seems to be what he is best at 😭. Wish that wasn't the case.

But how many times did we see the Michigan QB immediately throw to a receiver on the side almost immediately after he got the ball? There are plays that you can run to deal with the short timeframe, but it appears we don't have many in our playbook. They run an offense as if they have a great pass-blocking defense when that is not the case. Was it made worse by the Mich d-line, of course, but they didn't try to make changes to the passing plays called at all.

But how many times did we see the Michigan QB immediately throw to a receiver on the side almost immediately after he got the ball? There are plays that you can run to deal with the short timeframe, but it appears we don't have many in our playbook. They run an offense as if they have a great pass-blocking defense when that is not the case. Was it made worse by the Mich d-line, of course, but they didn't try to make changes to the passing plays called at all.
The quick throw to the flat requires the wide receivers to block. Doesn’t seem to be in our playbook.

It’s crazy we go in with the same plan as every game against a team like Michigan. Clearly showed that was not the right plan. Look we don’t beat them 99% of the time but if you go quick passing, roll AK out of the pocket on some play action you might have a chance to have some semblance of a passing attack. But sitting in the pocket and just getting destroyed should have triggered a “we should change this” response in most people. Not this coaching staff. Very disappointing.

Say it forever but Fleck will never hire an aggressive OC and more to the point, a proven successful guy would never work for Fleck.
Fleck will have to change his best in this area if we are going to stay relevant. OC and DC are critical for recruiting success.

Correct. You can still run the ball and have creativity in pass game. I also think playing faster creates better matchups. Every time we huddle and substitute, the defense gets to rest and substitute. We need someone that can react to what the defense is doing and exploit something.
You'd think we'd buy a clue from watching teams go up tempo against us. The whole imitation is a high form of flattery thing.

You'd think we'd buy a clue from watching teams go up tempo against us. The whole imitation is a high form of flattery thing.
Teams go up tempo on us because they saw it work vs the gophers. I don't think up tempo is all by itself a solution to anything. Maybe even a problem with a QB struggling.

Teams go up tempo on us because they saw it work vs the gophers. I don't think up tempo is all by itself a solution to anything. Maybe even a problem with a QB struggling.
I get your point, but I think it is worth trying for a few plays a game. We can have designed plays where he either sees it's open, or if not chucks it in the seats.

I don’t understand why Fleck is so absolute dog shit at hiring an OC/QB coach???? It’s crazy he can’t find an up and comer like the guy who became the DC at Rutgers, only on the offensive side of the ball. Call Bob Nielson at South Dakota. Hell, call about 50 guys before the last 2 he’s hired.
Because all those good and creative OC's don't want to work under Flecks stupid restrictions that handcuff creativity.

Top Bottom