Which endzone has had more touchdowns at TCF?

That’s awesome. Did you by any chance break it down by touchdowns and field goals? I could see field goals being tougher on the open end due to wind. But I don’t understand why touchdowns would be significantly different.
Not much difference by type of scoring drive
YCPg5eb.png

FG Success rate is a little higher on the closed end, but not enough to be significant (imo)
T0gllCe.png

The first 4-5 years I was convinced it was the open end, but I think the last few years maybe slightly more closed end (where I sit). It feels like so many big plays and TD's happened in the open end of the stadium those first several years.
Here's the share of points scored on each side over the years. Somewhat favored the open end more early in the tenure, but has been pretty stable favoring the closed end since 2015.
931wiJ9.png

Okay, I'll bite.

By any chance could we examine the wind direction and speed for gametime each game to determine which team called what endzone for receiving/deferring for each of these games.

I'd hope that would be a significant factor in who scores at whatever endzone..

As best I can tell the wind on the field varies from the East and West Endzones.

Just say'in.

Here's the share of points scored on each side over the years. Somewhat favored the open end more early in the tenure, but has been pretty stable favoring the closed end since 2015.
931wiJ9.png
Nice work Ski U Master! Love me some analytics and graphs.

Interesting subject!

It's intriguing looking at the actual data vs. memory of actually being at the Bank and watching it on TV. From having watched football there, there's a "feeling" that more action happens in that area, maybe because the jumbotron is so eye-catching. Looking at the graph it seems like it has kind of gone both ways, which makes sense considering the nature of the game.

I do think there have been quite a few memorable moments in the "open" endzone, though. I believe Nate Triplett took the TD there in the opening game, the final touchdown against Nebraska in 2013 was there, and the touchdown pushing the score to 31 against Penn St last season. So, probably a bit of memory bias playing a factor too.

Yep, the horrendous end-of-game...at the 1/2 yard line...with 18 seconds left...clock management on Halloween night against Meeechigan was in that end zone.

Very memorable.

Yep, the horrendous end-of-game...at the 1/2 yard line...with 18 seconds left...clock management on Halloween night against Meeechigan was in that end zone.

Very memorable.

Oh great my nervous twitching is back...

Very memorable.
As I was going through the highlights to get the direction data for this project, I was reminded of that game. So brutal.

If there's any consolation for us GH diehards, pretty sure the current HC, Tanner, the coaches, and frankly the entire team would know what to do under that scenario if it ever occurred again.

Progress.

If there's any consolation for us GH diehards, pretty sure the current HC, Tanner, the coaches, and frankly the entire team would know what to do under that scenario if it ever occurred again.

Progress.

I agree but...

-eye continues to twitch-

On the other hand, if memory serves me correct it was the East end zone where Marquis Grey just manhandled the I-O-W-A defense to score to give Coach Horton a very memorable win at home during his tenure. Lots of fun with that one.

Maybe that memory will help with the twitch...

Progress.
PJ does love to use his timeouts.

If I recall correctly TC also used a timeout in that moment...

Now my eye is twitching...

The Gopher's starting the season hot is pretty rare.

There was that one year where the Gophers almost beat USC with Max Shortell at QB and I was thoroughly convinced that he was going to lead the Gophers out of the dark ages.

Boy was I wrong, but that's the hottest start I can remember.

That's awesome! Thanks for doing that! I would have thought one would be higher for the Gophers and the other would have been higher for the visitors. So weird. Wonder why that is, or if it's just a coincidence?

It's the wind.

The Gopher's starting the season hot is pretty rare.

It feels more frequent under PJ than Kill... but still not super common either.

We're a slow to warm team usually ;)
The gophers are 9-0 on or before September 21 in the PJ Fleck era
3-0 in the Tracy Claeys era
13-4 in the Jerry Kill era with 2 of those losses coming in his first season.

Since Jerry Kill became the coach the gophers are 25-4 on or before September 21

since JerryKill’s second season the gophers are 24-2 on or before September 21

Since Jerry Kill became the coach the gophers are 25-4 on or before September 21

Have to think Mase's record before 9/21 is pretty gaudy.

931wiJ9.png

Fleckgraph.jpg

Counting that win over Kent State?

Counting that win over Kent State?
Not sure what you’re referencing but in the stats I gave even ugly wins counted as wins. Is the Kent State game a Claeys game or kill game?

kent State, South Dakota State, etc all count as wins

And even losses to teams like TCU and Cal count the same as losses to South Dakota and New Mexico State

Not sure what you’re referencing but in the stats I gave even ugly wins counted as wins. Is the Kent State game a Claeys game or kill game?

kent State, South Dakota State, etc all count as wins

And even losses to teams like TCU and Cal count the same as losses to South Dakota and New Mexico State
The Kent State game was a horrible 10-7 win vs a Kent State team that would eventually get 3 wins all year.

Win or not, by no means should that game be thought of as a sign of starting fast...

The Kent State game was a horrible 10-7 win vs a Kent State team that would eventually get 3 wins all year.

Win or not, by no means should that game be thought of as a sign of starting fast...
Well wins was the only measurable objective stat I could come up with to attempt to gauge it

but it isn’t flawless

And the first three last year...? You really want to go down that rabbit hole?

And the first three last year...? You really want to go down that rabbit hole?
I get what he is saying. Not all wins are created equal.

just like Kill’s 2 losses to TCU Aren’t equal to the loss to New Mexico State.

I never claimed it was a perfect stat.

people saying Minnesota has been disappointing early in seasons are wrong though. Traditionally it has been the middle and end of seasons where things turn south. That’s the case in the worst of seasons and of the best of seasons. The one exception in the last 25 years would be the Horton half season

people saying Minnesota has been disappointing early in seasons are wrong though. Traditionally it has been the middle and end of seasons where things turn south. That’s the case in the worst of seasons and of the best of seasons. The one exception in the last 25 years would be the Horton half season
I understand why Horton's half season is seen as better than others, but simply on a W-L they were 2-3 under Horton. So from that standpoint, not much better than most other years.

I freely admit, when you take into account where the team was before Horton, it's still amazing they won those two games.

No I agree, that's my point, a win is a win.

I understand why Horton's half season is seen as better than others, but simply on a W-L they were 2-3 under Horton. So from that standpoint, not much better than most other years.

I freely admit, when you take into account where the team was before Horton, it's still amazing they won those two games.
UNDEFEATED VS IOWA!!!!

I’m saying that that season they performed better at the end of the season than the beginning 2-3 finish with 1-6 start,

that’s pretty much the only season in the last 25 years that the team played clearly better in the last 2/3rds of the season than the 1st third record wise.

Even two seasons ago the team was 3-0 to start.

meaning the 4-2 finish was good but still a lower winning percentage than a 3-0 or 3-1 start

Top Bottom