Which 19th Century game would you attend?

Which game would you most like to attend?

• 1882, W 4-0 vs. Hamline. First Gopher game ever.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • 1890, W 63-0 first game vs. Wisconsin

Votes: 44 69.8%
  • 1891, W, 42-4, first game vs. Iowa

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 1892, W 14-6 First game vs. Michigan

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • 1896, W 14-0 vs. Purdue, first Big Ten game ever.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

RodentRampage

Reaction score
If you could attend one Gopher game from the 19th century, which one would it be?

Either 11/15/1890 vs Wisconsin, 63-0 victory

or

9/30/1882 vs Hamline, 2-0 victory

Both significant moments in Gopher football history.

Easy, first ever game against wisconsin (sucks) in 1890. 63-0 Domination.

I was just thinking, you know we have Civil War reenactors? I wonder if there is such a thing as a football reenactor? It would be really interesting to see a game played by the old time rules.

I was just thinking, you know we have Civil War reenactors? I wonder if there is such a thing as a football reenactor? It would be really interesting to see a game played by the old time rules.

Let's get it organized. I'm in!

Let's get it organized. I'm in!

Maybe I'll make a donation to the leather helmets. :) But if it were actually played for real at 100%, I don't know that I'd want to participate. I'd have been crazy enough when I was younger, though.

Now that I think about it... what if it were played using old time rules but with modern safety equipment? It would still give the feel of the old time game, without the, well, lethality of the old game. There's just so little footage of the old time game out there.

Of course that depends on whether we're talking about actually playing, or doing a reenactment. A reenactment of the 1903 Little Brown Jug game would be interesting. Or maybe someone can hack EA College Football to make it use old time rules. :D

I know that it isn't the question at hand, but if I could go back and see any game it would be the LBJ game.

63-0 without a doubt. That's the game I use for ammo when arguing with Wisky fans.

I wouldn't attend any of those games. The car hasn't been invented yet and I'm sure not going to take my horse and buggy. That mode of transportation is reserved for Hawkeye fans.

Easy, first ever game against wisconsin (sucks) in 1890. 63-0 Domination.

That says it all for me as well.

My runner-up was not listed though... the 1906 game vs. Wisconsin.

The ESPN College Football Encyclopedia - The Complete History of the Game states on page 523, it states that "President Theodore Roosevelt canceled the 1906 game because there were too many injuries and deaths on the field". Now that's a game I have to see. Morbid curiousity has gotten the best of me, I admit it.

Gophersports.com also states something similar.

I wouldn't attend any of those games. The car hasn't been invented yet and I'm sure not going to take my horse and buggy. That mode of transportation is reserved for Hawkeye fans.

Well, the game was on campus, so you could walk there. :D

That says it all for me as well.

My runner-up was not listed though... the 1906 game vs. Wisconsin.

The ESPN College Football Encyclopedia - The Complete History of the Game states on page 523, it states that "President Theodore Roosevelt canceled the 1906 game because there were too many injuries and deaths on the field". Now that's a game I have to see. Morbid curiousity has gotten the best of me, I admit it.

Gophersports.com also states something similar.

The game that never was. How about if we started a rumor that the game really WAS played, but played in secret? If people started believing it, that would extend the streak of consecutive games played in the series. To get the Badger fans to go along with this historical... alteration... we'd have to make the game a tie. A 14-14 tie sounds about right.

I left out games from the early 20th Century from the poll because I figured that the 1903 Little Brown Jug game would easily dominate the poll. But you give me an idea for a new poll, "Games that never were played, but should have been". If we can come up with a few more options, that might make a good poll.

What is amazing to me is how the most-played "rivalry" in college football had absolutely no teeth until about 10 years ago.

Iowa and Wisconsin have always hated Minnesota. But I never met a fan who had much dislike for Wisconsin until about 1999.

I think if you had taken this poll 15 years ago vs. Michigan wins in a landslide.

What is amazing to me is how the most-played "rivalry" in college football had absolutely no teeth until about 10 years ago.

Iowa and Wisconsin have always hated Minnesota. But I never met a fan who had much dislike for Wisconsin until about 1999.

I think if you had taken this poll 15 years ago vs. Michigan wins in a landslide.

Well I won't speak for others, but I've been passionately hating the Red Menace with a vengence since high school in the early ninties, even before I defected across the border and became a Gopher ('95).

I would watch the Michigan game, gotta watch those rare Gopher victories over Michigan when you get the chance.

Gopher game I'd want to watch!

If there is one game I'd like to see it would be the Gophers victory over Temple in Mason's last year. The score was 52-0 and showed how dominate we were in football.

If there is one game I'd like to see it would be the Gophers victory over Temple in Mason's last year. The score was 52-0 and showed how dominate we were in football.

Please tell me you're joking. Blowing out Temple counts as showing dominance? This makes even less sense than Hohensee and I didn't think that was possible.

Please tell me you're joking. Blowing out Temple counts as showing dominance? This makes even less sense than Hohensee and I didn't think that was possible.

There is a certain satisfaction to such games, I'll admit. But it's not a game that's going to be on anyone's list of classics. The 59-56 win over Purdue under Wacker would at least have been entertaining. Probably the worst defense by both teams in the history of college football, but I don't think many people left early.

There is a certain satisfaction to such games, I'll admit. But it's not a game that's going to be on anyone's list of classics. The 59-56 win over Purdue under Wacker would at least have been entertaining. Probably the worst defense by both teams in the history of college football, but I don't think many people left early.

Satisfying? You bet! (I have fond memories of the Toledo game in '04). Just not much in the way of displaying dominance. :)

Satisfying? You bet! (I have fond memories of the Toledo game in '04). Just not much in the way of displaying dominance. :)

One thing I like about those blowout wins is that when all the people stream out after the third quarter, I can move down to the best seats in the house! :D

One thing I like about those blowout wins is that when all the people stream out after the third quarter, I can move down to the best seats in the house! :D

I usually couldn't see by the end of the 3rd quarter if I recall correctly. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom