Where ya watchin’? Covid edition

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
I doubt many of us will be inside TCF Saturday night, so what are your watch plans?

I’m setting up a projector in the garage with a few friends. Smaller than normal watch party.

probably just watch it at home with the Mrs. while simultaneously texting my buddies throughout the game. It's gonna be a little chilly Friday night.

probably just watch it at home with the Mrs. while simultaneously texting my buddies throughout the game. It's gonna be a little chilly Friday night.
Just a note this game is Saturday night...

Billds will be watching at home with hopefully a couple of other fans, including a neighbor who's daughter married a Michigan Man. He very dearly wants the bragging rights back just to shut his
1603121232548.pngarrogant son-in-law up for a couple of years.

I'll be watching at my place in Denver. One of my friends out here went to Bloomington Jefferson, but played hockey at Michigan. So we always try to get together when our schools face off.

Same place I usually am since I moved to WA. On my couch in the living room. New 55" 4K OLED TV though, so that will be nice to watch on vs the hand-me-down 1080p LCD TV I had before! Will be on a Video call with my Brother, Dad and Uncle so we can enjoy the game together.

Same place I usually am since I moved to WA. On my couch in the living room. New 55" 4K OLED TV though, so that will be nice to watch on vs the hand-me-down 1080p LCD TV I had before! Will be on a Video call with my Brother, Dad and Uncle so we can enjoy the game together.

Which brand did you end up with? Looking at OLEDs myself right now

Which brand did you end up with? Looking at OLEDs myself right now
I went with a Sony A8H. Mainly due to the Smart OS being Android TV since I like the Android Ecosystem. For my budget the A8H seemed to be a good balance of quality and price with a bit of future proofing.

In my research, Samsung and Sony are the 2 biggest players in the TV market. Samsung being #1, then Sony, and then its a little ways in terms of market share to #3 I believe. Depending on what features you want, and your budget, a TV from either brand from this year or last year should be fairly good and last.

Granted you'll probably want to take what I say with a grain of salt since this is the first TV I've bought rather than acquired from a family member who didn't need it anymore.

See y'all in the Chat Room

I will likely be DVR'ing the first half. thanks to covid, our HS VB team re-scheduled a match for 6pm on Saturday. so I'll cover the VB and try to get home for the second half.

Will be up near Bemidji working in the woods during the day with my son and a friend.... Will watch at my buddies house.

In the comfort of my living room with my glass of wine along with some cheese and crackers.

watch party in my garage. small group. big pizza. Busch Latte's all around.

Streaming on my phone at a wedding reception or at home if the behavior at the reception dictates my wife and I leave.

The boy’s hockey game ends about two hours before kick-off.

Pick up some pizza and wings and settle in with the family to watch the game in our gopher gear.

Biggest question is what do I drink. Have found a gin that tastes great neat (Hendricks Orbium) but it could make for a dangerous night especially since we need to leave the house pretty early for the boys Sunday games.

Streaming on my phone at a wedding reception or at home if the behavior at the reception dictates my wife and I leave.

Covid gives you the perfect out.
Show your face and bounce. Say your wife has a headache or something, you’re pretty sure it is just allergies, but you don’t want to risk anything, head home and watch the game.

I went with a Sony A8H. Mainly due to the Smart OS being Android TV since I like the Android Ecosystem. For my budget the A8H seemed to be a good balance of quality and price with a bit of future proofing.

In my research, Samsung and Sony are the 2 biggest players in the TV market. Samsung being #1, then Sony, and then its a little ways in terms of market share to #3 I believe. Depending on what features you want, and your budget, a TV from either brand from this year or last year should be fairly good and last.

Granted you'll probably want to take what I say with a grain of salt since this is the first TV I've bought rather than acquired from a family member who didn't need it anymore.

Definitely with you on Samsung and Sony being 1a and 1b in terms of quality. I just bought a 65" Sony myself in August, and the picture is awesome. I learned some pretty interesting things when I used to be a manager at Best Buy (like many cheap or 'economical' TVs were made with refurbished parts, but not sure if that's the case anymore). TCL though is making a pretty good push, and I would consider them top 5 right now at this point.

As for me, my dad is having the family over to watch it. Stopping by booze mecca (aka Total Wine) along the way and picking up a bunch of beer. Then ready to scream and drink until Tanner Morgan is kneeling as the 4th quarter comes to an end.

My HD DumbTV Hitachi 44-inch just turned 10 and is serving our needs just fine.

I still have cable and use a flip phone of course too...but do have a modern Windows operating system.

1603217492382.png

My HD DumbTV Hitachi 44-inch just turned 10 and is serving our needs just fine.

I still have cable and use a flip phone of course too...but do have a modern Windows operating system.

View attachment 9861
Haha, look I'm there with you with regards to TV. My old TV could have kept going just fine! The Roku stick actually died before the TV, which was part of what prompted the TV purchase. Had that not happened, I may not have pulled the trigger to get a new TV when I did.

55" TCL from Costco, think we've had it for 3 years now. Love it, built in Roku which is great.

(except Roku are dumbasses for why they're trying to haggle with HBO).

Definitely with you on Samsung and Sony being 1a and 1b in terms of quality. I just bought a 65" Sony myself in August, and the picture is awesome. I learned some pretty interesting things when I used to be a manager at Best Buy (like many cheap or 'economical' TVs were made with refurbished parts, but not sure if that's the case anymore). TCL though is making a pretty good push, and I would consider them top 5 right now at this point.

One thing for people to consider these days with TVs is the software. Currently running my garage TV with a Roku stick because you can run the Xfinity stream app off of it (and then you don't need to pay for an extra cable box). From what I've been able to tell, the Xfinity stream app won't run on Android TV or Amazon Fire TVs. It will run on some LG or Samsung TVs though.

I'm thinking about upgrading my garage TV though and it will have to be a Roku or one of the LG or Samsungs that will work with Xfinity.

Top Bottom