Where does Indiana go from here?

Reaction score
After losing a heart breaker, they stand at 3-6.
Bowl hopes are on life support.
Without a bowl game you lose:
15 extra practices
Reward for players
Recruiting tool
Ability to sell progress
They can't change coordinators, because I think they did that last year.
The coaching staff will go into next year with a "win or be fired" cloud over their head. That uncertainty will hurt recruiting. I always thought Brewsters last year was a no win situation because everyone knew he would be fired.
I am just glad that is someone else's problem. Anything that keeps teams like Indiana and Illinois in the pits, it's fine by me.

If I were an Indiana fan, I'd be asking... "Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?"

They might lose those 15 practices and reward for players, but the recruits don't want that. They want to be able to wear a different fancy helmet each week, and have a dynamic ornery coach in a visor.

:)

To the East Division, where we'll hardly ever hear from them again

Going crazy if I was a fan of that team. A coach who doesn't know when to go to 2 and a player who apparently doesn't know the rules on a lateral... Good lord!

Can we get Wilson's deceased headset for our trophy case?

The rest of their season is:

11/09/13 vs. Illinois

11/16/13 at Wisconsin

11/23/13 at Ohio State

11/30/13 vs. Purdue

I doubt anyone believes they win either of their two road games, but one of those would help Wilson out immensely. If they don't win either but win both home games, Wilson's seat is hot going into next year and as drinks mentioned maybe a self-fulfilling prophesy. If they lose either or both home games, Wilson could even be canned this year or very early next year after a couple losses. Being the dumpster fire that IU was when Wilson came in I believe he deserves a couple more years, but at some point the AD will need to see signs of improvement.

Where does IU go? They have almost no support from fans or admin supposedly. They have been a doormat as long as MN has. I guess you try to get some donors to pump some money into the program. And I guess just keep hiring new coaches until you get lucky and something clicks. What else do you do? Either that or give Wilson a lifetime contract and decide you don't care about record.

It's amazing how a couple weeks changes some discussions. Three weeks ago, many on the Hole were asking that same question of MN as it was "obvious" the U wasn't going to win any B1G games this year and no one would have figured IU would be at 1 win in the B1G at this point.

They should try to be patient, honestly. In all likelihood they are still going to beat Illinois and Purdue. With a win over PSU that would be a 3-5 conference record.

I think they will be fine.

Wilson's done a pretty good job and unless the floor falls out from under them next year, he'll likely get a 5th year.

They've got a nice set of skilled position players. They just need to get more stout on defense.

He has done wonders for their offense. If they had taken care of business vs Navy and not scheduled Missouri they would be able to reach 6 wins. From a distance I would think he deserves more time.
I think they do have some wealthy donors. Their football practice facility is named after John Mellencamp. Could we get Prince to donate to the Gophers program?

Going crazy if I was a fan of that team. A coach who doesn't know when to go to 2 and a player who apparently doesn't know the rules on a lateral... Good lord!

Both those 2 pt tries were the right calls (based on the card). I get why they may have been questionable situationally / based on the pace of the game, but on a purely technical basis, both were good calls and make sense in a vacuum

I don't think Kevin Wilson is in any real trouble (unless, as someone else pointed out, the floor falls out from under them next year...i.e., Brewster 2010). But defensive coordinator Doug Mallory might want to start updating his resume. The Hoosier fans we sat around (at least, the ones that didn't leave at halftime) were cursing his name as they left their seats when we went ahead 35-13.

He has done wonders for their offense. If they had taken care of business vs Navy and not scheduled Missouri they would be able to reach 6 wins. From a distance I would think he deserves more time.
I think they do have some wealthy donors. Their football practice facility is named after John Mellencamp. Could we get Prince to donate to the Gophers program?

Yeah, I suppose the card would say go for two to make it a 6-point game but situationally, like you said, it was bad because there wasn't that much time left in the game.

Anyway, this looked like the same old Indiana to me, flashy offense, no defense and no discipline. The only difference this time is the Gophers didn't fall for their tricks and were the more poised team down the stretch, even though the tide had turned against them. A Gopher team of the past would have given up those two 2-point conversions and lost by one. Or somehow, some way they would have botched recovering the gift fumble to seal the deal. Maybe a Minnesota player would have jumped on the ball, only to have it squirt out of bounds. So many bad things can happen when a team panics and this time the Gophers didn't. I chalk that up mostly to good coaching.

They did have a very good recruiting class last year and that included several highly recruited defensive guys.

I think next year they will need to go to a bowl game if he is to remain their coach. And it won't be easy; they play @Missouri, @Iowa, Michigan St., @Michigan, Penn St., and @Ohio St.

I perused the Crimson Quarry page to read some of their fans reactions. I feel for them and it read like this forum read about 4 weeks ago. It is not easy for a program to climb up from the lower level even when the conference is down comparatively. We have a pretty good thing going here in relation to the Hoosiers (stadium, more fans, better coaching staff).

It'd make a better trophy than the Victory Bell, at least.

The Victory Bell definitely makes my list of top 4 favorite trophies. By the way Stoa, are you going to JRS's tailgate this Saturday? I am going to try to get him to loop Hell's Bells, and possibly will buy Taco Bell the night before and bring a bunch of cold soft shell tacos in honor of the Bell trophy. Additionally, I am planning on bringing enough Quinoa to share with other fans in bite size pieces, just to see if we can get that little extra mojo to get us over the hump.

After losing a heart breaker, they stand at 3-6.

They're only 3-5.

"We got Charlestown trailing here three to nothing, with 10.48 left in the first period. Whoops! Correction, folks. That's two to nothing. We don't wanna make it any tougher for the Chiefs."

To the East Division, where we'll hardly ever hear from them again

Yeah, big revenge game coming up in 2018.

Iu will kick the tar out of Illinois on Saturday, they'll beat Purdue and finish their season 5-7 3-5 in the big ten (12) Unless Wilson bottoms out this year, he will be safe heading into next season and if he can stay in the 5-7 to 7-5 range at Iu for the next couple years, get some athletes on the defensive side of the ball, he will have good thing going there. I think he's doing a much better job than that quack at Illinois, he may go win less again in the big ten. His seat has to be hot!

all they need is a def... they can score with anyone... just cant stop anyone...

I'm seen improvement since Wilson took over, and as we well know, turning a moribund program around doesn't happen over night. Stay the course, give it time.

He's created a potent offense, now if he can get the defense working, he could have something. Better to give him more time than to go back to square one.

The Victory Bell definitely makes my list of top 4 favorite trophies. By the way Stoa, are you going to JRS's tailgate this Saturday? I am going to try to get him to loop Hell's Bells, and possibly will buy Taco Bell the night before and bring a bunch of cold soft shell tacos in honor of the Bell trophy. Additionally, I am planning on bringing enough Quinoa to share with other fans in bite size pieces, just to see if we can get that little extra mojo to get us over the hump.

There's a good chance that I'll be out of town this weekend, so it's looking doubtful -- though I'll let you know if that changes. I'd hate to miss day-old, cold Taco Bell.

if I am an Indiana fan I am actually liking where they are headed, they should be 5-7 at season's end, 3-5 big ten which is progress from where they were last year, both Roberson are Sudfeld are sophmores and will be around for a while, I think i would take Roberson and SUdfeld over Nelson and Leidner, Tevin Coleman, a very good RB is only a sophomore and will be around for a while and Latimer and Shane Wynn will also be back for next year and for there 2013 recruiting class they landed six 4 star recruits, when was the last time the gophers got six 4 stars on one class?

Some, maybe all, of their problems may be due to a bad DC, bad defensive players, etc.

But, when your offense is geared around running a play every 18 seconds there comes a point where even an average defense is going to look bad if it is on the field that much, and the opponent gets the ball every 2 minutes. I wonder if at least some of their defensive problems stem directly from their offensive style.

Top Bottom