Where does Gopher MBB go from here?

Gopherfan1000

Reaction score
The season came to a screeching halt this morning due to Covid-19 precautions. The Gophers ended this season on a high note beating a terrible NW team 74-57 and finished the season 15-16. The record doesn't really state the obvious as the team was mostly competitive this season in losing quite a few disappointing nail biters. Oturu went out with a fantastic last game performance. But, now we face an early off-season (maybe one day early, I suppose). What happens next in your opinions? Could we realistically play Iowa in two months to continue the BTT?

The season came to a screeching halt this morning due to Covid-19 precautions. The Gophers ended this season on a high note beating a terrible NW team 74-57 and finished the season 15-16. The record doesn't really state the obvious as the team was mostly competitive this season in losing quite a few disappointing nail biters. Oturu went out with a fantastic last game performance. But, now we face an early off-season (maybe one day early, I suppose). What happens next in your opinions? Could we realistically play Iowa in two months to continue the BTT?
Ask the guy who thinks 24pts is half of 74pts.... He goes by Gopherfan 1000

The 2019-2020 season is over. There won't be another college basketball game played this season.

One question: If this pauses the coaching carousel, does it also pause Spring recruiting? I'd imagine so. In that case, you might just see the coaching moves made in May that would normally happen in March. If not, you almost have to give Pitino another year. You can't say "we'll wait and see" when we have roster spots to fill. And I can't imagine him getting fired in the next week or two.

Of course the record states the obvious. The record states exactly who the 2019-20 Gophers were. Being competitive and losing still puts a check mark in L column.

Pitino more than likely returns for 2020-21 and the Gophers will be in the exact same place as this year.

I think Coyle has to let Pitino go. Having a coach "on the hot seat" like Pitino would be is an all around losing proposition. Assistant coaches will be leaving to land a more secure job, recruits won't come here because the coach may not be around any more, and fans will bail. Hiring a new coach turns all of that around.

Maybe Oturu will stay due to NBA suspended operations and draft workouts being up in the air? One can hope

My take. As of now basketball is at a standstill, both college and NBA. There will not be any further Big 10 tournament games. With all the hysteria including traveling and gathering concerns, coaching changes will be minimal and there might not even be an NBA draft this year. I expect both Oturu and Pitino to be back next year. If this happens, assuming everything has settled down in a few months, the Gophers will have a great season next year.

My take. As of now basketball is at a standstill, both college and NBA. There will not be any further Big 10 tournament games. With all the hysteria including traveling and gathering concerns, coaching changes will be minimal and there might not even be an NBA draft this year. I expect both Oturu and Pitino to be back next year. If this happens, assuming everything has settled down in a few months, the Gophers will have a great season next year.
What possible basis would there be for the NBA to forego a draft? Even if the rest of this season is shut down, there will still need to be preparations as if there will be a season next year.

What possible basis would there be for the NBA to forego a draft? Even if the rest of this season is shut down, there will still need to be preparations as if there will be a season next year.
It does seem to be a little far fetched but with the current level of fear and the whole world seemingly shutting down, I would not be surprised by anything.

I don't think Pitino has to worry about his job at this point. The Virus is a big deal and right now we are still in the official basketball season (albeit late and in the conference tourney stage) and do not need a basketball coach. Think about that.

Will we need one next year? ...probably
Should we eat a contract buyout and potentially spend a bunch of cash on a new coach? Probably maybe? Maybe not?
If you were a coach working at a university - how likely would you be to burn a bridge with your AD and move right now? Maybe but it probably changes the pool of candidates
Is the Administration amped to focus on this right now with no basketball season and school closed? Probably not
Is now the time? No.
The circumstances have tipped the scale...

Last edited:

It does seem to be a little far fetched but with the current level of fear and the whole world seemingly shutting down, I would not be surprised by anything.
I mean even if things were awful come draft time it would still happen. Obviously not the public spectacle, but all you need for a draft is a bunch of phone calls and a guy to announce it all.

If they retain Pitino, it stumbles along much like it has for the last 7 years, ranging between mediocre and bad. Declining interest, declining fan base, substandard recruiting, routinely being outcoached.

Next question?

They may not be in person, but there will still be NFL and NBA drafts.

Of course the record states the obvious. The record states exactly who the 2019-20 Gophers were. Being competitive and losing still puts a check mark in L column.

Pitino more than likely returns for 2020-21 and the Gophers will be in the exact same place as this year.

Gophers top 4 in conference next year. Win the B10 championship if Oturu returns.

If they retain Pitino, it stumbles along much like it has for the last 7 years, ranging between mediocre and bad. Declining interest, declining fan base, substandard recruiting, routinely being outcoached.

Next question?

No, you're describing the women's team (or mens hockey team). Mens basketball team will be fine.

One thing to consider - the NCAA tournament is prime time for coaches who are looking for new jobs, or schools looking for new coaches, to meet up and talk things over.

I honestly don't know whether the suspension of all activity extends to job searches and hiring or firing of coaches.

I suspect a lot of schools and coaches are going to look at this like a mulligan. On the one hand, coaches lose the opportunity to look good by going on a tournament run. On the other hand, coaches lose the opportunity to look bad by getting upset in the 1st round. so it's a wash in my book.

If I had to bet my own money, I would say Pitino is back next year.

Unless Coyle has a guy he really wants and is already doing a back-channel attempt to reel him in.

One thing to consider - the NCAA tournament is prime time for coaches who are looking for new jobs, or schools looking for new coaches, to meet up and talk things over.

I honestly don't know whether the suspension of all activity extends to job searches and hiring or firing of coaches.

I suspect a lot of schools and coaches are going to look at this like a mulligan. On the one hand, coaches lose the opportunity to look good by going on a tournament run. On the other hand, coaches lose the opportunity to look bad by getting upset in the 1st round. so it's a wash in my book.

If I had to bet my own money, I would say Pitino is back next year.

Unless Coyle has a guy he really wants and is already doing a back-channel attempt to reel him in.
Perhaps he does not make a changer but there has been plenty of back channel activity.

Top Bottom