Where’s McNeilly?

I believe the Minnesota state record for points in a game belongs to Cash Eggleston. He was an Edina kid who ended up at a charter school. I want to say be dropped 90 on a very very undermanned charter school.
Minnesota Transitions was who he played for. undermanned opponent is the understatement of the day.

i think the rest of the top 10 scoring performances are filled with the Broman brothers from Duluth with a few others mixed in there

Random throwback of the day since we are talking about it....i was at the game that the elder Broman scored 71 points against Melrose. And i swear he scored that many points shooting like 70%. And that Melrose team was one of the best teams Melrose has had. The final ended up being like 116-112 or something like that. Melrose scored 70 points in the first half. Was the most fun i have ever had watching that game on a random Saturday in the middle of winter. Watching Broman for Duluth and Scottie Stone for Melrose was a damn treat.

I believe the Minnesota state record for points in a game belongs to Cash Eggleston. He was an Edina kid who ended up at a charter school. I want to say be dropped 90 on a very very undermanned charter school.

How cool - he tied my basement Nerf Hoop record held by Bernard King.

I hope his friends called him Straight Cash Homie for good measure.

Minnesota Transitions was who he played for. undermanned opponent is the understatement of the day.

i think the rest of the top 10 scoring performances are filled with the Broman brothers from Duluth with a few others mixed in there

Random throwback of the day since we are talking about it....i was at the game that the elder Broman scored 71 points against Melrose. And i swear he scored that many points shooting like 70%. And that Melrose team was one of the best teams Melrose has had. The final ended up being like 116-112 or something like that. Melrose scored 70 points in the first half. Was the most fun i have ever had watching that game on a random Saturday in the middle of winter. Watching Broman for Duluth and Scottie Stone for Melrose was a damn treat.
That was a really fun game. That Broman had some silly performances. A lot against terrible competition but that melrose team was legit. Maybe I am misremembering but was that game played with a shot clock?

I was being nice about the undermanned opponent. I think it was a mostly Hmong team. Some kids with little or no basketball experience.

I was being nice about the undermanned opponent. I think it was a mostly Hmong team. Some kids with little or no basketball experience.

Kevin Noreen with Minnesota Transitions beat up on similar teams for years to pad his stats. It's really hard to place any type value of those scoring records without context.

What happened to Cash? Answer below:

MJM: There has been so much controversy over the scoring records. Tell me if you have felt some frustration over the situation. Do you feel your history of outreach and the good done at MTS is being undermined by the critical attention.
JS: I do feel a little bit of frustration Michael, and especially 5 years ago when Cash Eggleston scored 90 points in a High School basketball game. It was frustrating to me that so many people reacted negatively toward the player rather than looking at the accomplishment.
They reacted very negatively and as a result he didn't even want to go on with his career after High School and he was a brilliant High School player. He lost interest mainly because of the press coverage in the Minneapolis Star and Tribune. Also, some of the talk radio shows.
They just lambasted this kid for no reason, without knowing him or what kind of kid he was or his circumstances. I think there was a lot of sentiment that they didn't want a kid from Franklin Avenue holding the State scoring record. So they called it bad sportsmanship.
I think it should be pointed out that when the previous record of seventy points in a game was set, that was set in a blowout... What people don't realize is that when you playing a High School basketball game the Coach is not sitting on the sidelines counting the points during a game.
Especially when the points are 90. You are not counting the points as the game goes on. I thought he might have had 60 some, 70 some. I really had no idea until we got done counting that night how many there were.
He did may 20 three pointers in that game which is a pretty quick way to score some points.
MJM: I remember watching Cash and your Magic Gold team and Cash was a phenomenal player at the time. There was a period where he dominated game after game.
There were very few times that team lost. let's talk a little more about the kind of player that he was. Today the talk is about his scoring record but for two or three years he was recognized as one of Minnesota's most promising young players.
JS: First of all Cash played up a grade his whole traveling career for the most part. He dominated a year up as well as his own grade. He was five foot eight in fifth grade and he was five eight when he graduated from High School. He had to make the most of his skills.
It was not like a Seven foot two player standing under the basket guarded by a five eleven player scoring these ninety points. He scored the 90 points with skill, with shooting, with the help of his teammates and it

What happened to Cash? Answer below:

MJM: There has been so much controversy over the scoring records. Tell me if you have felt some frustration over the situation. Do you feel your history of outreach and the good done at MTS is being undermined by the critical attention.
JS: I do feel a little bit of frustration Michael, and especially 5 years ago when Cash Eggleston scored 90 points in a High School basketball game. It was frustrating to me that so many people reacted negatively toward the player rather than looking at the accomplishment.
They reacted very negatively and as a result he didn't even want to go on with his career after High School and he was a brilliant High School player. He lost interest mainly because of the press coverage in the Minneapolis Star and Tribune. Also, some of the talk radio shows.
They just lambasted this kid for no reason, without knowing him or what kind of kid he was or his circumstances. I think there was a lot of sentiment that they didn't want a kid from Franklin Avenue holding the State scoring record. So they called it bad sportsmanship.
I think it should be pointed out that when the previous record of seventy points in a game was set, that was set in a blowout... What people don't realize is that when you playing a High School basketball game the Coach is not sitting on the sidelines counting the points during a game.
Especially when the points are 90. You are not counting the points as the game goes on. I thought he might have had 60 some, 70 some. I really had no idea until we got done counting that night how many there were.
He did may 20 three pointers in that game which is a pretty quick way to score some points.
MJM: I remember watching Cash and your Magic Gold team and Cash was a phenomenal player at the time. There was a period where he dominated game after game.
There were very few times that team lost. let's talk a little more about the kind of player that he was. Today the talk is about his scoring record but for two or three years he was recognized as one of Minnesota's most promising young players.
JS: First of all Cash played up a grade his whole traveling career for the most part. He dominated a year up as well as his own grade. He was five foot eight in fifth grade and he was five eight when he graduated from High School. He had to make the most of his skills.
It was not like a Seven foot two player standing under the basket guarded by a five eleven player scoring these ninety points. He scored the 90 points with skill, with shooting, with the help of his teammates and it

And now he is a massage therapist: https://www.ywcampls.org/training-nutrition-and-massage/massage/therapist-bios/cashimere-eggleston/

No, I'm poking the bear Dave Holmgren saying Minnesota needs to hire Larry. If we hired Larry and landed Chet that would be wild. With Larry, other prospects like Prince, Alonzo Dodd, Mercy might come as well. Fun to speculate for now
Sizzle is sponsored by Under Armor, right?

I realize that UA is doing very poorly, so maybe they won't be in the game at any level close to Adidas for some time going forward.

Cash was a real good dude. Played with him when we were youths. Unreal as a grade school and middle school player. Just quit growing. Was still very good in high school even against real competition.

A&M board are saying McNeilly is heading to MN,
Promising speculation here:

It's not just silence from us. There hasn't been anything from the gophers either. Wonder if the deal fell through for some reason....
------
Do you remember how long before Buzz's staff became official after being rumored? Forever!!!

Could also be a contract thing where his contract isn't up until like May and Minnesota waiting until he is officially free.

The staff here has pretty much implied he is gone and haven't done anything to suggest it's still not happening.
-----
Good point. Could be the contract thing. If his contract isn't up until May then I could see them waiting to save a few $. Guess McNeilly is probably getting a few weeks vacay out of it. Can't imagine we'd allow him to recruit for the gophers while we are still paying him. But who knows.

Still would love to know what the connection to McNeilly is, for any of BJ, Thorson, or Kemp. I suppose that will come out in due time.

But I also would not be surprised (wild guessing, of course) that there is none, and that landing the nephew was the ulterior motive for the hire. That's, of course, not at all to say he isn't qualified to be the top assistant, I'm sure he is. Rather, say, of the pool of potential top assistant hires, none had connections to the current staff, and none others would likely come with a recruit like that. So it would be perfectly fair.

Still would love to know what the connection to McNeilly is, for any of BJ, Thorson, or Kemp. I suppose that will come out in due time.

But I also would not be surprised (wild guessing, of course) that there is none, and that landing the nephew was the ulterior motive for the hire. That's, of course, not at all to say he isn't qualified to be the top assistant, I'm sure he is. Rather, say, of the pool of potential top assistant hires, none had connections to the current staff, and none others would likely come with a recruit like that. So it would be perfectly fair.
I would like to know if there is any historic connection between McNeilly and the in place staff, but I have serious doubts that the hire is being driven by an unproven four star guard related to the coach. That's way too important a role and the player doesn't have the profile to be getting a relative a job on his own. Put me on record as believing the motivation is the coach and the player may be an added bonus to the hire.

I would like to know if there is any historic connection between McNeilly and the in place staff, but I have serious doubts that the hire is being driven by an unproven four star guard related to the coach.
Like I was trying to explain: not the sole reason. Rather, like that was the bonus that put him over the top, of other top assistants that also had no connections.

And like I said, I think that would be fair. Just curious.

Hell, I think they should've offered Niko to be the top assistant. With an understanding that he would have an opportunity to interview/take over permanently, depending on how things go.

He probably would have no interest in that.

Hell, I think they should've offered Niko to be the top assistant. With an understanding that he would have an opportunity to interview/take over permanently, depending on how things go.

Coyle: Ben, I want you to hire Niko as your top assistant because I need a backup plan in case you flop.

Ben: You got it boss.

Of course not. You don't leave a Mountain West job to be an assistant anywhere unless it's Coach K and he's retiring in a year or something. Ridiculous.

It would seem if you wanted a nephew to play you could have kept Conroy to get Robbins who is better than anyone on our roster (except Carr) and anyone coming in so I don't think that would be the motivation.

It would seem if you wanted a nephew to play you could have kept Conroy to get Robbins who is better than anyone on our roster (except Carr) and anyone coming in so I don't think that would be the motivation.
Counter: Conroy was told he was out, from the start, because it had to be that way. (make up whatever reason you want - with or without involving Thorson in that equation)

A&M board are saying McNeilly is heading to MN,
It seems to be common knowledge, but not announced. Not denied by Texas A&M either, no statements at all.

They say that his contact with Texas A&M is until May. Maybe they could just be waiting for it to become official. ???

"I think we should have asked Ben if he would coach for free. He probably wouldn't, but you never know and it wouldn't hurt to ask."

Coyle: Ben, I want you to hire Niko as your top assistant because I need a backup plan in case you flop.

Ben: You got it boss.
Yeah, you will see schools hire someone who is widely expected to be the heir apparent at some point. But in those cases the head coach is usually someone older who has had a long run of success and wouldn't be threatened by the future head coach being on his staff.

Going to guess that Johnson probably would not have been on board with MPLS suggestion. :)

This is obviously completely insane and would never happen, so I don't know why I'm even responding to it, but I just want to point out that Niko would only leave his current head coaching job because he wants to be the head coach somewhere else, so you're suggesting it would be a good idea to try to hire a top assistant who wants our head coach to fail so he can take the job.

Just to repeat: You would like it for our top assistant to want our head coach to be fired.

looking at the assistants - Johnson had strong connection to Thorson. He knew Kemp well from coaching and recruiting circuits.

So does anyone really think that he pulled a name out of a hat to hire his other assistant?

I can't remember who said this (might have been former Vikes OC Stefanski) - but I remember an interview with an assistant coach who said that most people in his position have a short list of coaches they would hire if they ever got a head coaching job. And most of that is based on prior relationships - or a strong recommendation from a mentor coach.

So if McNeilly is the guy, it's because he and Johnson have some type of relationship. if the kid comes with him as a package deal, that's a bonus. But you don't hire a coach just to get a recruit - unless that recruit is a real difference maker. (and even then, a move like that usually comes with baggage - the kind of baggage that can lead to NCAA investigations.)

looking at the assistants - Johnson had strong connection to Thorson. He knew Kemp well from coaching and recruiting circuits.

So does anyone really think that he pulled a name out of a hat to hire his other assistant?

I can't remember who said this (might have been former Vikes OC Stefanski) - but I remember an interview with an assistant coach who said that most people in his position have a short list of coaches they would hire if they ever got a head coaching job. And most of that is based on prior relationships - or a strong recommendation from a mentor coach.

So if McNeilly is the guy, it's because he and Johnson have some type of relationship. if the kid comes with him as a package deal, that's a bonus. But you don't hire a coach just to get a recruit - unless that recruit is a real difference maker. (and even then, a move like that usually comes with baggage - the kind of baggage that can lead to NCAA investigations.)
It would be silly for Johnson to hire McNeilly just for his nephew just as it would have been silly for Minnesota to retain Conroy or for someone else to hire Conroy simply to get Robbins. Nice perk but you shouldn't make a coaching decision based on a player that is only going to be around for a few years anyway.

That said, I know there have been stories in the past about high school coaches and family members getting jobs in order to sway a recruit a particular direction. Sure they watch for it much more closely now but it no doubt still happens at times.

This reminds me of when I was living back in Minneapolis and I went to see Kevin Noreen play. The whole charter school basketball thing was strange to me. Needless to say, I went to see the Transitions team play. They were okay. Noreen was talented but didn't strike me as a D1 guy. In his defense, it was hard to tell. The one thing that struck me was that one of the players on the other team was wearing jean shorts.

Top Bottom