When to buy Pasadena flight tickets, and how do I get game tickets through the U of M?

mjfelton15

Banned
Reaction score
Wondering when is the smartest time to book a flight, line up a hotel, etc. for IF the Gophers make the Rose Bowl.
Also, how does it work as far as buying tickets to the game through the U of M? How much would Rose Bowl tickets go for through them? Would you trust buying tickets to it already via StubHub, SeatGeek, Ticketmaster, etc.?
Really wanna go with my wife if we make it, have to live out my Dad’s dream he never got to witness.

Already reserved our flights on Southwest to assure the lowest price (not many left at that price from Portland), and reserved hotel. The hotels in Pasadena are essentially filled due to the parade volume but nearby areas have some. Just make sure you can cancel the hotel in case we are in the CFP?.

I am not a travel expert but I did ask the U about bowl tickets. I was told they will be available based on your point score. It is highly likely that there will also be travel packages for any of the upper tier howl games. I have been on a couple of the packages and have also done my own travel arrangements for the Outback bowl. To me it comes down to the preferences of the group you will be traveling with for the game. Packages are easier, more expensive and of course you are traveling with a group. Pluses and minuses for both but I will be doing the package for the Rose Bowl if we go for the overall experience.

What hotel does the team stay in? My fam was at the Holiday Bowl and stayed at the same hotel, it was super fun, or so they told me

Havn't they done a charter flight for previous bowl games?

I am not a travel expert but I did ask the U about bowl tickets. I was told they will be available based on your point score. It is highly likely that there will also be travel packages for any of the upper tier howl games. I have been on a couple of the packages and have also done my own travel arrangements for the Outback bowl. To me it comes down to the preferences of the group you will be traveling with for the game. Packages are easier, more expensive and of course you are traveling with a group. Pluses and minuses for both but I will be doing the package for the Rose Bowl if we go for the overall experience.
Curious about the tickets available based on Gopher score. If I’m not in the top 50%, or even too 75%, are my chances probably not good of snagging two tickets? Did they tell you how many the school is allotted?

Wondering when is the smartest time to book a flight, line up a hotel, etc. for IF the Gophers make the Rose Bowl.
Also, how does it work as far as buying tickets to the game through the U of M? How much would Rose Bowl tickets go for through them? Would you trust buying tickets to it already via StubHub, SeatGeek, Ticketmaster, etc.?
Really wanna go with my wife if we make it, have to live out my Dad’s dream he never got to witness.
Well...I think it would be wise to wait for the outcome of the next two games. There's no guarantee that the Gophers are going to the Rose Bowl. Why would anyone buy airfare to Pasadena if theres no way of knowing for sure the we're going ...just seems not wise.

Already reserved our flights on Southwest to assure the lowest price (not many left at that price from Portland), and reserved hotel. The hotels in Pasadena are essentially filled due to the parade volume but nearby areas have some. Just make sure you can cancel the hotel in case we are in the CFP?.
Awesome thank you! And yeah I’d be happy with the CFP too, and worst case if we don’t get the Rose and we get something lower like the Outback bowl, that’s kinda why I’m wondering about the cancellations and everything. I don’t wanna have my flight, hotel, and tickets paid for, and then we don’t make it

Prolly gonna fly into Vegas, do a day or two there, then drive over and do a couple nights. Pasadena is booked up, but tons of cheap hotels within 30 miles. I realize that could be quite a drive with traffic, but do it once in the morning and hang out all day...NBD. I'm pretty stoked! Make it happen, Gophs!

Prolly gonna fly into Vegas, do a day or two there, then drive over and do a couple nights. Pasadena is booked up, but tons of cheap hotels within 30 miles. I realize that could be quite a drive with traffic, but do it once in the morning and hang out all day...NBD. I'm pretty stoked! Make it happen, Gophs!
That sounds like a good plan. I don’t know if I can take more work off than absolutely necessary. I was going to take a flight on the 31st, fly back on the 2nd. With what I’ve found so far it’s looking like for me and my wife, this would cost around $2,500-$3,000...that’s spendy for us at the ages of 27 and 25. If anyone knows any cheaper routes any advice would be great.

Just took a real quick look on the Marriott website and the Courtyard Marriott Pasadena has rooms available albeit a little pricey and its within walking distance of the stadium.

Be careful about booking too soon or at least booking any nonrefundable plane, rental car, and hotel reservations. Back in the 2002 season Iowa seemed like a lock to be in the Rose Bowl with Big Ten champs Ohio State bound for the BCS Championship Game. Hawkeyes fans certainly thought so and more than a few made travel plans based on their team going to Pasadena.

However, under the circumstances, there was nothing in place that guaranteed a Big Ten team a place in the Rose Bowl. When the Orange Bowl had a chance to take #3 Iowa, it did. Iowa fans extremely were unhappy to miss out on the Rose Bowl. A number of fans that made reservations were out of luck, either losing their travel costs entirely or having to pay cancellation fees and/or change fees.

The Gophers are in a good position to make the Rose Bowl, but we haven't locked up a spot yet and if we lose to Wisconsin, a realistic possibility no matter how unpleasant to think about, we will be playing somewhere else this bowl season. I get being excited, but would hate for anyone to get concrete plans in place for the Rose Bowl, only for the Gophers to play in the Orange Bowl or Outback Bowl.

Be careful about booking too soon or at least booking any nonrefundable plane, rental car, and hotel reservations. Back in the 2002 season Iowa seemed like a lock to be in the Rose Bowl with Big Ten champs Ohio State bound for the BCS Championship Game. Hawkeyes fans certainly thought so and more than a few made travel plans based on their team going to Pasadena.

However, under the circumstances, there was nothing in place that guaranteed a Big Ten team a place in the Rose Bowl. When the Orange Bowl had a chance to take #3 Iowa, it did. Iowa fans extremely were unhappy to miss out on the Rose Bowl. A number of fans that made reservations were out of luck, either losing their travel costs entirely or having to pay cancellation fees and/or change fees.

The Gophers are in a good position to make the Rose Bowl, but we haven't locked up a spot yet and if we lose to Wisconsin, a realistic possibility no matter how unpleasant to think about, we will be playing somewhere else this bowl season. I get being excited, but would hate for anyone to get concrete plans in place for the Rose Bowl, only for the Gophers to play in the Orange Bowl or Outback Bowl.

Agreed and good points, but some people have status on airlines and hotels and can cancel at anytime without penalty.

My bigger concern is if the Rose Bowl board/committee would decide to select PSU (if they have 2 losses - MN and OSU) over a MN team also with 2 losses (IA and OSU in B1G Championship), even if MN beats both WI and NW. My understanding is that the Rose Bowl could go ahead and select Penn St. anyway due to their potentially bigger fan base/draw. Am I wrong on this?

Agreed and good points, but some people have status on airlines and hotels and can cancel at anytime without penalty.

My bigger concern is if the Rose Bowl board/committee would decide to select PSU (if they have 2 losses - MN and OSU) over a MN team also with 2 losses (IA and OSU in B1G Championship), even if MN beats both WI and NW. My understanding is that the Rose Bowl could go ahead and select Penn St. anyway due to their potentially bigger fan base/draw. Am I wrong on this?
They could but I would think they'd prefer us. A smaller fan base that will travel really well because they haven't been there in forever is probably better than a large fan base that isn't that willing to travel to something they were at 3 years ago and will likely be back to fairly soon.

It is nice to dream but have the cancellation rules in mind or you might be out more than a bit of cash.

It's hard to tell especially if the Gophers lose any of the remaining games.

Bowls will pick a team they think has the most traveling fans.

Well...I think it would be wise to wait for the outcome of the next two games. There's no guarantee that the Gophers are going to the Rose Bowl. Why would anyone buy airfare to Pasadena if theres no way of knowing for sure the we're going ...just seems not wise.
That’s why I fly Southwest for these scenarios. I can cancel or change the flight without penalties.

Already have a hotel. Have to wait on flights at this point. That seems like the right approach at this time if you can’t get cancellable air. Game tickets will cost more than the flight ?

Lets win the games we need to win before talking RB.

Fly into LAX, Sleep on the beach. Hitch a ride/ take bus to Pasadena. Sleep on golf course. knock out and drag a pac 12 fan into the bushes during tailgate. Steal tickets (and swap outfits?). Attend game but never go to your seats. Troll opposing fans in concourse, throw up from ingesting too powerful of an marijauna edible. Leave game early, break into somebodies RV and hide for the long drive home after a historic rose bowl victory over Oregon/Utah. Total cost = $400

I have a hotel booked and fully refundable tickets on Southwest Airlines (using miles) booked for 4 of us. We can cancel any time on all of this up until 72 hours beforehand.

Go Gophers!!

Does sun country fly there? Maybe they will do the same day flight option like they did to Orlando a few years ago. That was a fun day.

I have a hotel booked and fully refundable tickets on Southwest Airlines (using miles) booked for 4 of us. We can cancel any time on all of this up until 72 hours beforehand.

Go Gophers!!
Exactly! Hope to see you there Bleed!

Top Bottom