When do we start receiving votes in the Top 25 rankings?

If/when does it happen this season?

• Total voters

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Thought this would be fun and a good outlet for my irrational exuberance.

The options are after every three games until the end of the season, when it’s after every two (except where I put NW twice, must have forgot my Prevagin).

We don’t have to be in the Top 25, just others receiving votes.

I think it happens when we win 2 of the next 3, as long as we don’t get creamed at Assembly - if we lose there.

Last edited:

I’m resurrecting this poll.

You can now change your vote to a later date if desired and if you haven’t voted, feel free to. As this one has no expiration date.

One issue is that the Gophers don't really have many good wins. But if you win enough games you get votes eventually. The useless non-conference schedule may keep this team out of the NCAA tournament.

Playing Purdue, Illinois and wisco only once is a (possibly) fortunate scheduling situation in terms of B1G standings. But also hurts if you're trying to play in the NCAA Tournament because those appears to be the only good win opportunities.

I think they'll get votes if they win on Sunday.

as of Monday, no votes for the Gophers. Michigan State received 1 vote. So if the Gophers can beat Iowa, they might pick up a couple of votes for next week.

but there were 40 teams receiving votes this week - the top 25 and 15 in the "others receiving votes." that's a lot of teams to leap-frog.

looking at the B1G:
Purdue #2 (1,479 points) (16 votes for 1st place)
Illinois #10 (893 points)
Wisconsin #11 (838 points)
Michigan St 1 point

reminder - a vote for 1st place is worth 25 points, 2nd place 24 points and so on down to 1 point for 25th place. so one voter out of 61 ballots submitted had Michigan State in 25th place.

If the Gophers really want to impress voters, the Illinois game may be their best chance. Maybe if they can keep the Purdue game reasonably close, that might help a little.

One issue is that the Gophers don't really have many good wins. But if you win enough games you get votes eventually. The useless non-conference schedule may keep this team out of the NCAA tournament.

Playing Purdue, Illinois and wisco only once is a (possibly) fortunate scheduling situation in terms of B1G standings. But also hurts if you're trying to play in the NCAA Tournament because those appears to be the only good win opportunities.

Once again....I'm not defending the soft non-conference schedule....but this isn't necessarily true. Those first three weeks of the season.....this was a different (worse) team. So even some games against low to mid power conference teams or good mid majors could very well have ended up as losses as well. My opinion on this would be completely different if we had beaten Missouri as we should have.....and played at least close to San Francisco.

When we beat Purdue.

So be it then. I COULDN'T CARE LESS about our non-conference schedule.

Once again....I'm not defending the soft non-conference schedule....but this isn't necessarily true. Those first three weeks of the season.....this was a different (worse) team. So even some games against low to mid power conference teams or good mid majors could very well have ended up as losses as well. My opinion on this would be completely different if we had beaten Missouri as we should have.....and played at least close to San Francisco.

We’ll agree to disagree. All teams were likely worse at that point. Playing freshman B squad teams didn’t help prepare them for those tougher games.

I am just glad we are on the bubble of the bubble. Getting top 25 ranking points doesn't happen unless we beat Purdue, which would take a minor miracle. Otherwise we would have to win 4 of next 5 to get there. I think it will take one more win than one would expect because of how bad the perception is of MN basketball.

The ones that are hurting the most are the losses to Missouri and Wisconsin.

I believe that our NET ranking actually went up after the Wisconsin loss so that one really didn't hurt us although I'm sure we would have gotten a bigger jump had we beat them.

I am just glad we are on the bubble of the bubble. Getting top 25 ranking points doesn't happen unless we beat Purdue, which would take a minor miracle. Otherwise we would have to win 4 of next 5 to get there. I think it will take one more win than one would expect because of how bad the perception is of MN basketball.

At this point, I don't think it's the perception holding us back. I think the primary reason we won't get votes is because we are relatively low rated for our overall record due to our nonconference schedule and a fairly bad loss in there from Missouri at home.

For example, Wake Forest, a team that has made only one NCAA tournament since 2010, is ranked 51 places above us on NET despite having the same overall record. People who vote on these things aren't bound by any particular quantitative ranking but you know they look at these things.

Last edited:

We’ll agree to disagree. All teams were likely worse at that point. Playing freshman B squad teams didn’t help prepare them for those tougher games.
I think teams can prepare for conference play regardless of their non-conference schedule. Swapping in 2 tougher games wouldn't have made any difference.
So if playing a weak schedule keeps them out of the NCAA tournament you’re just good with that? Insane take but I should remember who I am talking to.
I'm perfectly fine with it. I didn't see any need whatsoever to have a more difficult non-conference schedule. If we play well and finish high enough in the B1G standings but get screwed out of the NCAA...I say we should try to win the NIT and return everyone next year.

I'm perfectly fine with it. I didn't see any need whatsoever to have a more difficult non-conference schedule. If we play well and finish high enough in the B1G standings but get screwed out of the NCAA...I say we should try to win the NIT and return everyone next year.

In general, I feel the same way as you but we can't say "we were screwed out of the NCAA" if we don't get in (unless we have a near phenomenal rest of season and Big Ten tournament). If you want to maximize your chances, you pick the kind of nonconference schedule that is more likely to give you higher quality wins (and even losses). It's not like that's a secret. Sure, we had no way of knowing that Missouri would be as low rated as they've become but we had too much riding on only two nonconference opponents and we lost to both of them.

This was a schedule that was designed with the idea that the team was "a year away from being good." Ben Johnson & Co were not the first persons to schedule that way and they won't be the last. I still enjoyed those wins over the lowly nonconference opponents and, since I thought the team was a year away too, I'm satisfied with an NIT appearance. We are in the NET range to be selected for that now so we must do our best to maintain that and possibly improve to get a higher seed in that tournament.

In general, I feel the same way as you but we can't say "we were screwed out of the NCAA" if we don't get in (unless we have a near phenomenal rest of season and Big Ten tournament). If you want to maximize your chances, you pick the kind of nonconference schedule that is more likely to give you higher quality wins (and even losses). It's not like that's a secret. Sure, we had no way of knowing that Missouri would be as low rated as they've become but we had too much riding on only two nonconference opponents and we lost to both of them.

This was a schedule that was designed with the idea that the team was "a year away from being good." Ben Johnson & Co were not the first persons to schedule that way and they won't be the last. I still enjoyed those wins over the lowly nonconference opponents and, since I thought the team was a year away too, I'm satisfied with an NIT appearance. We are in the NET range to be selected for that now so we must do our best to maintain that and possibly improve to get a higher seed in that tournament.
I'm not the one who's worrying about our non-conference schedule and possibly getting screwed out of the NCAA. I couldn't care less about that. I'm happy with progress that's on-target with what I've been saying for the last 3 years.

We should make it or not based on our conference finish. Sure I'd hope to not get leapfrogged because a computer says another team's mediocre non-conference results were better than ours...but I'm willing to hope common-sense prevails. And if it doesn't...we can get more experience in the NIT.

Top Bottom