Whats up with recruiting?

I'm predicting that we won't start to see many announced commitments in July either. Recruits can't yet picture what the future hold here. We really lost alot of momentum with Kills' departure I'm afraid. Nothing anyone can do about it, but thats what I think. We gotta have a great season this year to keep it going.

The nest big thing in recruiting will be the football camps startng Sunday June 5th and going until July 17th.

We only have 12 SRs on scholarship. Well now 13 with the transfer. Didn't Claeys say they were only looking at signing 15 this year? That's not very many.

I'm predicting that we won't start to see many announced commitments in July either. Recruits can't yet picture what the future hold here. We really lost alot of momentum with Kills' departure I'm afraid. Nothing anyone can do about it, but thats what I think. We gotta have a great season this year to keep it going.

So Chicken Little thanks for letting us know that the sky is falling. It is way too early in the recruiting process to begin to panic. A lot of recruiting is going on right now but it takes a long time before the results come to fruition. Of our class of 20 this fall we had a total of 5 Minnesota kids committed by this date last year and no out of state kids. It may not seem to you that there nothing is going on but if read recruiting reports you would realize how much time is goes into to recruiting before a kid actually commits. We won’t know how much success we really are having until February. So relax and get ready to enjoy what should prove to be a very fun fall season.

It should be about 18+.

My count could be off, maybe it is 18. I just remember hearing the Claeys interview and thought the number was low. Even 18 is low.

Bad year to have a lack of in state talent, with Claeys essentially on a 1 year prove it deal.

So Chicken Little thanks for letting us know that the sky is falling. It is way too early in the recruiting process to begin to panic. A lot of recruiting is going on right now but it takes a long time before the results come to fruition. Of our class of 20 this fall we had a total of 5 Minnesota kids committed by this date last year and no out of state kids. It may not seem to you that there nothing is going on but if read recruiting reports you would realize how much time is goes into to recruiting before a kid actually commits. We won’t know how much success we really are having until February. So relax and get ready to enjoy what should prove to be a very fun fall season.

Agreed, we should ignore the schools with fifteen commits, they'll never amount to anything.

This has been a concern with the Kill and his legacy coaches.
None of them had any experience in recruiting at the BIG level.
The conference record over all these years speaks for itself.
Granted that Kill and his merry men were an upgrade over Brewster but that does not mean they were a success.

Step away from the ledge - plenty of time.

I'm still way more concerned about our lack of commitments for 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It now June. Whats going on?

I started a thread!!! I started a thread!!!

Seriously, have you followed the Gophers before? In the last 5 years?

Don't even know what to add to that.

Agreed, we should ignore the schools with fifteen commits, they'll never amount to anything.

I hate to break the bad news to you but we are not like Ohio State or Michigan. They don't recruit, they select. We on the other hand need to recruit.

WE ONLY HAVE 3 COMMITS!!!

IJnxZ3w.gif

I think the two biggest factors for only three commits are 1.) the instate pickings are slim this year 2.) we probably only have 15-18 scholarships to give for 2017. We could add someone in the next two weeks if all goes right and then in July add a handful more after camp.

Not time to panic but

it is disappointing to get outworked. As a coach, I think you want to set the example to your players of being a tireless worker...putting in the time, going to coaching clinics, sitting down with coaches better than you and talking your sport and learning, always being accessible and communicating, motivating your players or letting them know what sport activity you are gone for, monitoring their "voluntary" workouts, exhaustively scouting opponents in every way...watching film, talking to their opponents coaches etc., having practices organized for summer fall on paper and 9 million other things to find an edge to compete.

Then when it comes to recruiting, once again you can't get outworked! You can't say you really don't like satellite camps (imo) because you have a rival coach who beat you and is now outworking you: "This year, Harbaugh has turned the swarm into a barnstorming, 39-camp world tour with stops in 22 states, American Samoa and Australia. Australia!" How many is Tracy doing? He may not have the opportunity next year, by rule or by job change...."Great moments are born from great opportunity" as a man said who won NCAA titles and USA Gold Medals. I just feel an opportunity to gain ground is being wasted while somebody else seizes the opportunity right in front of us. Disappointing...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/15879385/college-football-satellite-camps-where-michigan-jim-harbaugh

I have no idea how much Harbaugh or Tracy tweets and texts etc but Harbaugh and Michigan are surely in the news a lot more...I do believe Harbaugh has the attention of recruits. Does Michigan have advantages? Yes. The answer is not to do less. I'm sure we have our targets but the approach is very different.

Harbaugh has resources Minnesota doesn't. Our coaches get in trouble for not filling gas tanks.

Tough to compare

And yet - when the recruiting class is announced on Signing day, there will be people on this board raving about the great kids "we" just signed, and screaming that the recruiting services are rating "our" class way too low.

This board is so bi-polar. When Claeys canned Limey and Z, the consensus was that he was putting his stamp on the program. he was cheered for having a plan and being decisive.

But now, because the Gophs don't have a slew of 4* recruits in the fold, Claeys doesn't know what he's doing, and at least one person suggests he's not working hard enough.

Look - in the end, the Gophers will sign some players. They will play the 2016 season. They will win some games, and probably lose some games. And no matter what happens, some people will be on this board proclaiming that "IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!" - while others proclaim that the Gophers are on "THE VERGE OF GREATNESS!" And the truth - the truth, my friends - will be somewhere in the middle.

Last year at this time we have five. Now we have three. Not a big deal yet

This has been a concern with the Kill and his legacy coaches.
None of them had any experience in recruiting at the BIG level.
The conference record over all these years speaks for itself.
Granted that Kill and his merry men were an upgrade over Brewster but that does not mean they were a success.

Honest question - - -

If you were take a time machine back to the day Brewster was fired and you were asked, what is a REALISTIC goal for the next coach over the next 5 years? What would make the next coach successful?

There will be always "haves" and "have-nots" even in football. It appears the Gophers are upper lower tier.

RECRUITING IS EVERYTHING. The Gophers must gamble and go all out in recruiting. It will cost. There is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow after all. They have to turn a geographic disadvantage (perceived or real) into an advantage by winning. Start a string of winning seasons and see what comes. Let's start by aiming for a B1G West Title.

Michigan (and MSU & tOSU) has a lot going. Deep pockets, don't have to recruit hard, closer to large population centers, etc...

Mark Coyle gets it about the importance of recruiting. He has a tall task to shape up a dysfunctional athletics.

it is disappointing to get outworked. As a coach, I think you want to set the example to your players of being a tireless worker...putting in the time, going to coaching clinics, sitting down with coaches better than you and talking your sport and learning, always being accessible and communicating, motivating your players or letting them know what sport activity you are gone for, monitoring their "voluntary" workouts, exhaustively scouting opponents in every way...watching film, talking to their opponents coaches etc., having practices organized for summer fall on paper and 9 million other things to find an edge to compete.

Then when it comes to recruiting, once again you can't get outworked! You can't say you really don't like satellite camps (imo) because you have a rival coach who beat you and is now outworking you: "This year, Harbaugh has turned the swarm into a barnstorming, 39-camp world tour with stops in 22 states, American Samoa and Australia. Australia!" How many is Tracy doing? He may not have the opportunity next year, by rule or by job change...."Great moments are born from great opportunity" as a man said who won NCAA titles and USA Gold Medals. I just feel an opportunity to gain ground is being wasted while somebody else seizes the opportunity right in front of us. Disappointing...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/15879385/college-football-satellite-camps-where-michigan-jim-harbaugh

I have no idea how much Harbaugh or Tracy tweets and texts etc but Harbaugh and Michigan are surely in the news a lot more...I do believe Harbaugh has the attention of recruits. Does Michigan have advantages? Yes. The answer is not to do less. I'm sure we have our targets but the approach is very different.

How do you know Claeys isn't doing these things? He just isn't going to get the coverage Harbaugh gets. Heck, Claeys could cure cancer and Harbaugh would probably still be covered more. I'm just waiting for the next lead in to Sportscenter to be "Harbaugh uses restroom, was it #1 or #2? We'll debate it here next!"

"REALISTIC goal" after Brewster would depend on expectations.
If going back to a bit less than Mason but better in many ways than Brewster then Kill was a success .
If turning a program around with a new President, AD and HC like WI did is a reasonable expectation than Kill was not a success.
Given his lack of experience in FBS and his medical problems Kill did ok.
What are your expectations of the new HC ?

Top Bottom