What's gained by calling out players?

Rick Mons

The former MN Snowman
Reaction score
I don't understand what the objective is to call out players for either real or perceived short-comings.

• Do these "fans" think that the coaching staff aren't aware of weaknesses and that the "fans" input will cause them to finally see the light?

• Do these "fans" think that it will somehow cause the player in question to realize he needs to improve and provides some clues to improvement that have been unseen by the coaching staff?

• Do posts like these prove one's "fanhood" and superior insight about how football is to be played?

• Are posts like these intended to just "vent" and it somehow better enables one to vent if there's a specific individual who is targeted?

I'm really curious about the motivations of those who have started threads that name players who "suck" -- or who should be benched -- or should never start again -- or should have their scholarships withdrawn. What compels you to do this?

Rick Mons...As an old fan of the Gophers, Twins, Vikings, etal, I think, in my opinion, that it is insecure people who can't do it themselves, and they make themselves feel better by putting others down. These are the "experts" who are part of any problem, not part of the solution.

While I don't participate in calling out particular players, I understand why someone would. This is a message board and the place for these discussions to take place. I hope that these same people calling out the players are also hoping that they improve and are proud that these players have chosen to represent the University of Minnesota.

It's one thing to call out a performance - it's another thing to call someone pathetic.

What's amazing to me is to watch these 18 - 22 year old kids and how mature they are; and then to witness the immaturity of their 'fans.'

It is a sorry way for people to take out frustration. Misdirected and pathetic anger indeed. Sports message boards are 95% garbage.

While I don't participate in calling out particular players, I understand why someone would. This is a message board and the place for these discussions to take place. I hope that these same people calling out the players are also hoping that they improve and are proud that these players have chosen to represent the University of Minnesota.
"Someone" would call out a player because otherwise this message board would be empty? Because otherwise there's no purpose for GopherHole?

C'mon -- there's still no answer for what's to be gained or what the poster's motivation is for writing that kind of "contribution."

BTW, it seems a strange way to express hope for improvement when you say a particular player "sucks" or is "pathetic." Also seems a strange statement of "pride" -- "I'm so proud of you, you pathetic, sucking waste of a scholarship." :confused:

I don't understand what the objective is to call out players for either real or perceived short-comings.

• Do these "fans" think that the coaching staff aren't aware of weaknesses and that the "fans" input will cause them to finally see the light?

• Do these "fans" think that it will somehow cause the player in question to realize he needs to improve and provides some clues to improvement that have been unseen by the coaching staff?

• Do posts like these prove one's "fanhood" and superior insight about how football is to be played?

• Are posts like these intended to just "vent" and it somehow better enables one to vent if there's a specific individual who is targeted?

I'm really curious about the motivations of those who have started threads that name players who "suck" -- or who should be benched -- or should never start again -- or should have their scholarships withdrawn. What compels you to do this?

Ragging on players and coaches is done, and has been done, by every fanbase of every college and pro team ever. The motivation is frustration because fans want their team to win.

Ragging on players and coaches is done, and has been done, by every fanbase of every college and pro team ever. The motivation is frustration because fans want their team to win.
Ah, the "everybody does it" defense. ...
whistilin.gif

And "everybody" is free to say whatever they wish for conduct both on and off the field with a little speculation here and some projection there. ("He doesn't work hard in class or on the field." Mix frustration and the Internet and folks apparently have license to excoriate players to their heart's content, I guess. Everybody does it.

I think thoughtful and lively discussion can take place about players...personal shots are unnecessary, but these guys are well taken care of...no reason why if you want to question Wills' effort on some particular plays, or why Duane Bennett can't shake a tackle, or dumb penalties, or you-name-it, can't be brought up.

I completely agree, Rick. I am glad to see the poster who ripped Collado edited his post with some rational thoughts and an apology. As far as Weber being ripped, try playing QB with a sieve of an offensive line (and I don't mean to rip them, but the criticism of Weber is because he is running for his life most of the time). If Seantrel and Allen and other top o-linemen come in here, our QB problem will be fixed.

I think thoughtful and lively discussion can take place about players...personal shots are unnecessary, but these guys are well taken care of...no reason why if you want to question Wills' effort on some particular plays, or why Duane Bennett can't shake a tackle, or dumb penalties, or you-name-it, can't be brought up.
While I agree that questions can be raised about individual situations or plays, it too often doesn't stop there and seems to jump to the next step: disparaging the player as a whole.

And that's what I find questionable in terms of motivation on the part of the "fan" who does so. Did Collado miss coverage? Yep ... but do we really think his scholarship should be yanked? Did Weber throw a couple of INTs? Sure ... but do we really know whether Gray would be better?

yes....I do.

If anyone thinks Collado shouldn't be benched raise your hand.......

I dont think he should, who else would have played other than him saturday?

what are we supposed to say? are we supposed to ignore it?

"way to give it the old college try, son!"

"he certainly wears a mean uniform!"

this aint t-ball

no im not, sherels was hurt, and michael carter got a concussion, who the hell else are you gonna put in?

Personally have no time for posts with such things as "(insert players name) sucks." For whatever reason they feel they have the right to write such things, so I believe I have the right not to dignify the posts with a response.

Whether they feel it expresses some sort of manhood or makes them feel better, or even that they do not know enough about the intricacies of the game to express something that is legitimate, don't care. It comes across as extremely immature to me and lacking in any sort of depth of thought, regardless of whether it is College, High School or pro level.

Ah, the "everybody does it" defense. ...
whistilin.gif

And "everybody" is free to say whatever they wish for conduct both on and off the field with a little speculation here and some projection there. ("He doesn't work hard in class or on the field." Mix frustration and the Internet and folks apparently have license to excoriate players to their heart's content, I guess. Everybody does it.

If you are suggesting that I am arguing people on this board call out players because other fans do it, your advanced age has not advanced your reading ability. I am very clearly suggesting that an independent reason causes ALL fanbases to call out players, and that independent reason is frustration.

If you are suggesting that I am arguing people on this board call out players because other fans do it, your advanced age has not advanced your reading ability. I am very clearly suggesting that an independent reason causes ALL fanbases to call out players, and that independent reason is frustration.
Uh, Pete, I think my reading comprehension is just fine. Go back and read what I wrote and you'll read this pretty clear statement (but I've added emphasis so you won't glide by it):

"Mix frustration and the Internet and folks apparently have license to excoriate players to their heart's content, I guess. Everybody does it."

What's gained? DISCUSSION. That's the point of a forum isn't it?

Better question, what's gained by starting "this team has come a long way" "wow, decker is good" etc etc etc. ? Just as much as being negative. Discussion.

What's gained? DISCUSSION. That's the point of a forum isn't it?

Better question, what's gained by starting "this team has come a long way" "wow, decker is good" etc etc etc. ? Just as much as being negative. Discussion.

THIS

I think there is a difference between negative criticism over poor play, game plan, execution, ect and isolating players by saying they suck.

ex. saying Collado blew it in coverage is both true and justifed. To simply open up a thread with the title Collado sucks is downright degrading to him as both a player and an individual to go along with worthless in cultivating debate.

I think there is a difference between negative criticism over poor play, game plan, execution, ect and isolating players by saying they suck.

ex. saying Collado blew it in coverage is both true and justifed. To simply open up a thread with the title Collado sucks is downright degrading to him as both a player and an individual to go along with worthless in cultivating debate.

THIS TOO

what are we supposed to say? are we supposed to ignore it?

"way to give it the old college try, son!"

"he certainly wears a mean uniform!"

this aint t-ball

No, but you don't have to be a dick about it. It's that simple. To be a dick or to not be a dick. What would the mighty Boosh do?

I think posters on here can get a bit petty, but discussion and criticism of performances are the point of internet message boards, in my opinion. Personally, I think Collado is a pretty terrible cornerback (though he's become serviceable against the run). He may be a great guy. I don't know. I'm not going to make comments on his personal life. However, as a football player, I'm really really hoping not to see him get many snaps from here on out. However, as has been noted, I'm not sure we have anybody to replace him due to injuries. Also, can we sit Wills down? I'm not much of an o-line mind, and I could see from the nosebleeds that he was getting beaten with regularity.

Top Bottom