What's driving players to enter the Transfer Portal?

hungan1

Reaction score
Did Mark Coyle have a heart to heart chat with the lame duck team? It's a long time between now and the end of the NCAA tournament. Players have gone thru a gamut of emotions the last season with everything going on.

Mashburn's transfer entry sounds conditional. Should we start worrying about Liam?

Did Mark Coyle have a heart to heart chat with the lame duck team? It's a long time between now and the end of the NCAA tournament. Players have gone thru a gamut of emotions the last season with everything going on.

Mashburn's transfer entry sounds conditional. Should we start worrying about Liam?
Did you watch the season? They finished 13th and the coach that recruited them got fired. Players transferring seemed like a foregone conclusion.
Do you follow college basketball at all? Look at the entire country.
Transfers are common. The portal is just a cool name. Its always been this way its just more publicized because the intent to possibly transfer is made more public.

To your last question, no we should not be worried about Liam. If he transfers, he transfers.

Way too much handwringing going on with the guys putting their names in the portal. Just doing so doesn't guarantee anything as they could end up coming back when it is all said and done. In the meantime they get to explore their options while they wait to see how things are going to play out here.

First few years under the new coach are going to be a rebuild regardless of who sticks around and who goes. No sane people will evaluate the new coach based on the results in the first few seasons.

To the question of the thread title...people are entering the portal simply because it's the free market. Capitalism at its finest.

When you can your coach, expect players to leave. Nothing we're seeing should be surprising anyone, it should have been understood from the minute Coyle made the announcement.

Players rarely get to have a choice on who they play for and it's a free pass to make that choice. They often go places because of "fit" and if a big part of that fit is no longer there, why not look around.

Also, we'll likely be pretty bad next year.

To your last question, no we should not be worried about Liam. If he transfers, he transfers.

Way too much handwringing going on with the guys putting their names in the portal. Just doing so doesn't guarantee anything as they could end up coming back when it is all said and done. In the meantime they get to explore their options while they wait to see how things are going to play out here.

First few years under the new coach are going to be a rebuild regardless of who sticks around and who goes. No sane people will evaluate the new coach based on the results in the first few seasons.
So another 5 to 6 years of bottom 1/4 dwellers followed by a couple of years of mediocrity followed by a search for a new coach...its the Minnesota routine.

So another 5 to 6 years of bottom 1/4 dwellers followed by a couple of years of mediocrity followed by a search for a new coach...its the Minnesota routine.
You heard we were going to hire Tim Miles?

Not sure why you are replying to my post with that because that is nowhere close to what I was saying.

Some guys transferring right now potentially hurts our ability to win some additional games in the first few years with the new coach but the guys on the team right now will have little to do with the fortunes of the new coach and their long term success here.

Not sure why you are replying to my post with that because that is nowhere close to what I was saying.

Some guys transferring right now potentially hurts our ability to win some additional games in the first few years with the new coach but the guys on the team right now will have little to do with the fortunes of the new coach and their long term success here.
When the cupboard is bare and no history of success playing in an antiquated arena it will take a coach with supreme self confidence, or a masochist, or a young Pitino type looking to move up in the coaching ranks. I'm not sure any one of us have mentioned the future coaches name.

P.J. Fleck said he had to recruit the players that were here in addition to an incoming class.

The new coach will do the same. Players can pull themselves out of the portal.

If you're in the portal, you can talk to other teams. A logical tactic, even if you don't expect to xfer.

Because of Mashburn's connections with the Pitinos, (his father played for Richard's father), I wouldn't be surprised that he follows Richard, or maybe xfers to Papa's Iona team. Still a so-so chance he returns.

Liam's ties are to his uncle Ed. Ed's status is up in the air.

Omersa is also in the portal, but to me at least, he seems he wants to get away from Richard. A small chance he returns with a new coach?

Carr was/is expected to leave for the Pros. I expect he will be in the G-league next year. Maybe a two-way contract.

I wonder if there may be some personality clashes on the team. Yes transfers are common but as well as they were playing early in the season if they stick together it's possible to be a good team next year as well.

When the cupboard is bare and no history of success playing in an antiquated arena it will take a coach with supreme self confidence, or a masochist, or a young Pitino type looking to move up in the coaching ranks. I'm not sure any one of us have mentioned the future coaches name.
You're right.

No hope.

Only a masochist or ego-maniac will take the job. And none of the coaches being interviewed are actually going to take the job. It's a futile effort. In fact, I think Coyle should announce the U is folding the program entirely and cancel all future inquiries and interviews. It's clearly the best option available.

Coyle swept into the U with optimism that there are better days ahead. The trouble is, it takes time for any coach to show that promise.

Unfortunately, basketball didn't meet expectations with the Pitino hire. He simply ran out of excuses, and his recruiting was subpar. It is either you can foot a winning team or not. Kudos for Richard for running a clean program.

Coyle may have to roll the dice on this one in order to get a dynamic hire.

You're right.

No hope.

Only a masochist or ego-maniac will take the job. And none of the coaches being interviewed are actually going to take the job. It's a futile effort. In fact, I think Coyle should announce the U is folding the program entirely and cancel all future inquiries and interviews. It's clearly the best option available.
Your pessimism is unwarranted. They will find a coach who will become the savior of the program leading them to the final 4 with the first 2 years.

Also, we'll likely be pretty bad next year.

Yes, most likely, but it will be a different kind of bad, bad with a new start and a sense of naive hope. As Mae West said: "When given a choice between two evils, I always pick the one I haven't tried before."

Yes, most likely, but it will be a different kind of bad, bad with a new start and a sense of naive hope. As Mae West said: "When given a choice between two evils, I always pick the one I haven't tried before."

100%. We will be bad with some hope sprinkled in.

If you're in the portal, you can talk to other teams. A logical tactic, even if you don't expect to xfer.

Because of Mashburn's connections with the Pitinos, (his father played for Richard's father), I wouldn't be surprised that he follows Richard, or maybe xfers to Papa's Iona team. Still a so-so chance he returns.

Liam's ties are to his uncle Ed. Ed's status is up in the air.

Omersa is also in the portal, but to me at least, he seems he wants to get away from Richard. A small chance he returns with a new coach?

Carr was/is expected to leave for the Pros. I expect he will be in the G-league next year. Maybe a two-way contract.
Mashburns dad played for Pitinos dad? Never heard that mentioned on the broadcasts or anything. Crazy.

A car???

A bike??

A mo-ped?

They’re not driving, they’re taking mass transit.

Yeah all the joking about miles but i bet that he could come in here and have better seasons than pitino...problem is it wouldn't last.

Top Bottom