What's best? 12 months in Miami or Minnespolis

Rog

Reaction score
Recruits probably read the "Gopherhole" so I with personal experience can attest to this statement. Talking about the weather.

I would rather live in Minnesota than Miami if I had to be there the entire 12 months. This is probably true with all other southern cities, also.

Yes the 2 or 3 months during the heart of winter can be undesirable but let me tell you the 4 or 5 months of the heat during the summer practice and early football season is worse!!!

The tough months in Minnesota are the off season for football players when hitting the books in the dorm room is necessary. "Down South" is just the opposite.

Fortunately, I have the best of two worlds with 6 months at each place. Not so when you are a college football player.

Miami isn't really like a typical "southern city". There really isn't a whole lot that Miami has in common with Birmingham. I would probably rather live in Miami (especially if I was an 18 yr old kid).

When my relatives ,that live south of the Mason-Dixon line ask, how I can stand the winters here. I remind them that, you can always add another layer of clothes, but there is a limit to what you can take off.

Miami isn't really like a typical "southern city". There really isn't a whole lot that Miami has in common with Birmingham. I would probably rather live in Miami (especially if I was an 18 yr old kid).

Ask any one who spent last summer and early Fall here in South Florida. They will tell you that most of the time was spent indoors in air conditioning because it was very HOT and HUMID!! Not something you would want to experience.

My Grandson during HighSchool football can attest to the fact. More time had to be with limited pads and water breaks than actual practice.

My wife spent two days in Miami for work while pregnant. She was mugged in her short stay. She basically spent the remaining 17 months and 28 days of her two pregnancies in Minneapolis and was never mugged.

I realize the problem with this example is that the mugging was probably a rare situation and we're not recruiting 28-35 year old pregnant women, but that's my personal and absolutely unrelatable comparison for our recruits to ponder!

Go Gophers!!

I lived in North Carolina and Virginia for 13 years. After living in Minnesota for the past 9, in terms of the weather, I would much rather live in either of those states for 12 months. Not even close. Now with regard to Miami, I have never been but I prefer hot weather to cold weather in almost all cases.

Ask any one who spent last summer and early Fall here in South Florida. They will tell you that most of the time was spent indoors in air conditioning because it was very HOT and HUMID!! Not something you would want to experience.

My Grandson during HighSchool football can attest to the fact. More time had to be with limited pads and water breaks than actual practice.

Oh, I know it is really hot in Miami. I was just sort of debating the point of him calling Miami a "southern city". I don't think of Miami being a typical southern city. I guess that is really just arguing over semantics.

I have spent quite a bit of time in southern Florida and while I much prefer southern California, I would personally prefer their weather to ours. Also, if I were an 18 -21 year old kid, with Miami's nightlife, I would prefer Miami for things other than weather.

My wife spent two days in Miami for work while pregnant. She was mugged in her short stay. She basically spent the remaining 17 months and 28 days of her two pregnancies in Minneapolis and was never mugged.

I realize the problem with this example is that the mugging was probably a rare situation and we're not recruiting 28-35 year old pregnant women, but that's my personal and absolutely unrelatable comparison for our recruits to ponder!

Go Gophers!!

Come on man that is generalizing. A kid was just shot on our campus last night, so don't let one experience affect the rest of your life.

Come on man that is generalizing. A kid was just shot on our campus last night, so don't let one experience affect the rest of your life.

My post, while a true story, was written more tongue-in-cheek. I obviously don't let it impact my opinion of Miami, although I do think the guy who did it is kind of a jerk, even though that is our families only encounter with him.

Go Gophers!!

I've spent a lot of time in Miami, including one stretch that began in October and ended in March. I'll take Minneapolis anytime. Miami is unbearabiy hot until late in the year, reaks of mold, and is wet and rainy in the winter. Minneapolis is a much prettier city and much more enriched culturally.

Having lived in Florida I would take Miami any day of the year. Sure it's hot, but you get used to the heat just like you get used to the bitter cold in Minnesota. Also, beaches are never too far away.

Oh, I know it is really hot in Miami. I was just sort of debating the point of him calling Miami a "southern city". I don't think of Miami being a typical southern city. I guess that is really just arguing over semantics.

I have spent quite a bit of time in southern Florida and while I much prefer southern California, I would personally prefer their weather to ours. Also, if I were an 18 -21 year old kid, with Miami's nightlife, I would prefer Miami for things other than weather.

You obviously haven't been to the "Deuce, Deuce," or the "Blue Fox." Both joints absolutely scream fun!

One trip to Lincoln Beach in SOBE and a young man will be convinced to go to Miami. I tried not to stare.

I would rather live in Minneapolis than any other place on this earth! I say that with 100% sincerity.

I've lived in Minnesota, London, New Mexico, Arizona, and Oregon.

Placing homerism aside, Minnesota comes in second on that list. Second to LAST that is. It beats only New Mexico (which is really depressing).

This place really ain't that great in my opinion. It ain't horrible, and there's quite a few good qualities. But you take a place that is more or less OK and throw in absolutely atrocious winters and you get a place that just ain't that great. Sorry. If it weren't for family and friends I never would have come back.

The past week is the PERFECT example. We love to sugar coat winters with the 'four seasons' BS, but in the past week we've had 35 and rain, and now near zero to sub-zero temps. You can't even enjoy winter sports with conditions like that. Snow and ice conditions are now crap, and it's super cold. No thanks.

When my relatives ,that live south of the Mason-Dixon line ask, how I can stand the winters here. I remind them that, you can always add another layer of clothes, but there is a limit to what you can take off.[/QUOTE]

In some places more so than others.

There are pros and cons to everything. The Strib had an article on Sunday about Martin Zellar. He packed up his entire family and moved to a little town in Mexico. If that's what he wants, good for him. To get me to move to Mexico, you'd have to pay me enough so I could afford to leave there every chance I got.

Biased Opinion of course, but my wife and I have been everywhere in the US except the PNW and my wife has spent significant time in most of Europe, and short of a seven figure job would not consider leaving MN. I need the winter just like I need the spring summer and fall. Skiing, ice fishing, skating, pond hockey, building snowmen with the kids, these things are priceless. Bury me in rural MN, please.

I love Minnesota. I would have living in Miami. I NEED to be somewhere where there are seasons; where it can get hot in the summer and then cold in winter. I need to be in a state where I can fish on two forms of water (solid and liquid), and I need to be able to snowmobile.

I recently spent a few weeks in NYC over winter break and the weather even there just pissed me off. 35-40 degrees is not cold and you can never convince me that it is. I want winter to be winter, not fall. Or in Miami's case, summer.

I lived in North Carolina and Virginia for 13 years. After living in Minnesota for the past 9, in terms of the weather, I would much rather live in either of those states for 12 months. Not even close. Now with regard to Miami, I have never been but I prefer hot weather to cold weather in almost all cases.

Lived in NC and VA for five years, and while my experiences there were good and I'm glad I got to live there, I hated the weather. I can take the heat and humidity to some extent, but not that much! The last summer I was in NC, we saw 85 days where the high was 90 or above. And it's never not humid.

Yes, the winters don't get nearly as cold and you hardly get any snow. But I like to be outside being active. What can you do when the high is in the 30's and 40's everyday? No snow activities like skiing, ice fishing, skating, and snowmobiling. It's too cold to go to the beach or grill on your deck. I spend more time doing activites outside here in the midwest than I ever did there. Anytime the temp dips into the 20's, people there act like they're in the North Pole or something. Don't even get me started about when it snows an inch or two, some of the most hilarious things I've ever seen has happened when it snows out there. "We're getting 3 inches of snow! Shut everything down! Stock up on water and food! We may be stuck in our house for weeks!"

I really feel bad for kids especially, who don't get to experience the thrills of playing outside in the snow all winter long. I went through so many jackets and snowpants as a child because we were outside all the time.

I like the changes in the air. Not one season has the same fresh air, its always different here. Down south its just hot and humid..I dont hate winters, I just dislike em.

I choose Minneapolis. Mary Tyler Moore looks better than Don Johnson. I think.

I always loved winter in Minnesota. The xc skiing is wonderful. It was that damn unoficial state bird which drove me away. Mosquitos plague Florida as well. There is a reason for the saying "Go west young man".

I've lived in Miami. The roaches weren't even shy. I've visited the Everglades in summer - half a can of extra-strength deep woods Off to give the mosquitos a clue. I laugh when people talk about high scrime neighborhoods in Minneapolis, after having been to Miami. Had some fun down there, the Keys were just down the road. In Miami, people are bundling up when the weather is 50 degrees in winter. That first year, the warm winters are nice, but you get acclimated pretty quickly. So you're still going to feel cold in winter.

I like living in Minneapolis, if I didn't like it, I would move. I tolerate the winters because I like living in the city. But the reputation Minneapolis has for cold winters is exaggerated - other northern cities are not much different. International Falls may make the news, but that's like judging San Francisco by the weather report from Death Valley.

I always loved winter in Minnesota. The xc skiing is wonderful. It was that damn unoficial state bird which drove me away. Mosquitos plague Florida as well. There is a reason for the saying "Go west young man".

Yes, I met a guy in Las Vegas once who identified with your point of view. He swore he visited Minnesota once and after that pledged to never travel east of Flagstaff. Told a colorful story about spotting a couple of enormous mosquitoes kneeling on a dock along the Cottonwood River. According to the terrified Nevadan, they were rolling dice to see which one would drag the humans out of the house and which one would finish 'em off.

As an 18 year old I can totally see wanting to spend 4 years of my life in a warmer climate, so who can blame college kids for wanting to do that. As an adult, with kids, I am glad to be living in Minneapolis. The economy is good (for what my wife and I do for a living) and the schools are tops in the country. Crime is relatively low and there are lots of cultural activities. I've visited many southern states and about the only city that impressed me was San Diego, but who can afford that!

As an 18 year old I can totally see wanting to spend 4 years of my life in a warmer climate, so who can blame college kids for wanting to do that. As an adult, with kids, I am glad to be living in Minneapolis. The economy is good (for what my wife and I do for a living) and the schools are tops in the country. Crime is relatively low and there are lots of cultural activities. I've visited many southern states and about the only city that impressed me was San Diego, but who can afford that!

There is a difference in perspective between being 18 and when you're older. I like the fact that there are parks within walking distance of just about everywhere in Minneapolis. I have one kid, and I like having a choice of 2 zoos, and a lot of museums. Then there's all the trees, most cities aren't so full of trees.

But there is something to be said for a climate where the women can be less bundled up. :D I don't think we are in a position to tell anyone what they ought to want, we can only make the best case we can for Minneapolis. People are motivated by different things, in college I had a classmate from Malaysia, he came here because he wanted to see snow.

Top Bottom