What?

#93fanclub

Reaction score
From the Pioneer Press
"Despite the loss, NFL scouts had to like Gophers QB Adam Weber's arm strength against Purdue."

What? What? Unbelievable. Coach Brewster might have a career as a sportswriter.

I'm not going to say he is going to be good or bad...or even get to the NFL for that matter, but give the Weber a break. How many different OC's did he have? How many different philosophies did he have to embrace? How much different offensive languages did he have to learn, then unlearn, then learn the next one?
He plays the most difficult position on a football team and had to change seemingly every time the wind blew. I am willing to bet many on here (if not everyone) would struggle learning one system, he learned multiple systems.

Weber has good mechanics and good qualities that you'd want from a quarterback, which is why he's getting a little attention from NFL scouts.

The problem is his decision-making skills. They're poor... at best. He's committed turnovers and made bad throws, but he is our best legitimate qb. Now, I'm not saying he's good, but Gray should stay at WR. He didn't play QB much last year because he didn't know the playbook perfectly. I don't really know how you can take him out of a starting WR role, seeing as we don't have many capable WR's (besides McKnight and Allen). Maybe after the Brewster firing, the play-calling will improve and so will Weber.

I don't know if I'd call Weber's mechanics solid. He's a great leader and plays hard and I've never seen him as anything other than a stand-up guy, but he just can't make his checkdowns and keep his mechanics solid at the same time. A bad case of happy feet.

I don't know if I'd call Weber's mechanics solid. He's a great leader and plays hard and I've never seen him as anything other than a stand-up guy, but he just can't make his checkdowns and keep his mechanics solid at the same time. A bad case of happy feet.

Yeah. His mechanics aren't amazing or anything, but they're solid. He just doesn't have much time to think behind our line. I think he's trying to make the "perfect" pass every play instead of hitting the open man and gaining yards each play.

Yeah. His mechanics aren't amazing or anything, but they're solid. He just doesn't have much time to think behind our line. I think he's trying to make the "perfect" pass every play instead of hitting the open man and gaining yards each play.

Actually his mechanics are quite poor. Do you watch his feet on short throws? How many inaccurate screen passes, bubble screens and crossing routed does he have to throw before people acknowledge he has the yips because of his footwork? His performance on Saturday was pretty bad if you actually look at how poor his completion percentage was to open WR's on throws under 10 yards.

I think a lot of Adam Weber as a quarterback. Right now, he's a captain and one of the
team's best players.

Weber was recruited by Glen Mason to be the heir apparent to Bryan Cupito in his
offense. Throughout his freshman year, in which he was redshirted, the coaches had
nothing but positive things to say about how he was developing. There was great
speculation that he was going to be one of the best qbs in school history.

Had Mason stayed, and had his career developed as it should have, I believe that
Weber would have excelled in Mason's offense, which was perfectly suited to
bringing in a qb for the purposes of learning the position. The Mason teams would have
turned in their usual decent seasons, and Weber would have grown in stature. By
his senior season, I believe that Weber would have been a leading candidate for
All-Big Ten honors (he even made honorable mention his 2nd season). THAT was
the career that Adam Weber was supposed to have.

Fast forward......after Mason's firing, he was forced to re-learn offense within the spread.
He staggered through a 1-11 first season. He was good enough to have developed in
year 2 to hon. mention All-Big Ten and took his team to a bowl game.

In year 3, he had to re-learn another offense, and the new OC tried to change his
motion by having him throw baseballs.

Year 4 is what you're looking at now.

I think this young man, once he gets a chance to get away from this school and his
experiences here, will show up somewhere in an NFL training camp. He'll be a project,
but he'll show enough raw ability to get some looks. If he does not stick with an NFL
team, I can easily see him playing in the UFL or CFL, and then maybe getting an NFL shot
down the line.

I wish people would learn the game, post things correctly, and cut this young man some slack.

Top Bottom