What will you miss about Richard Pitino?

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
I will miss his sense of humor. I will miss his honesty when he would preview the team and discuss areas of improvement for each player and compliment their strengths.

I think he would be great in the announcers booth, and probably best in studio rather than courtside.

He has a good sense of humor. And I love during games when he will give a player a look and you know exactly what he would be saying to that player if there were no cameras on him. :)

Echo the above. Listening to him talk was so easy. He made it easy to understand what the gophers were going to do against an opponent (which was easy to see on the floor, jack 3's and play sloppy...hey oh, I kid, I kid). Seriously though I liked listening to his pressers and his evaluation of players.

I will miss the 300 negative posts a day about him.
I never posted anything negative about him, though at times I thought his coaching ability was suspect. I like the guy, but alas, seems inevitable that we'll probably move on from him. Somehow I'm hoping that he will win out and make a run in the B1G tourney.

Don't know him outside of being a Gopher fan but he seems like a great guy who carries himself with class while not taking himself too seriously. He was someone born on third base to coaching royalty but is about as unpretentious as it gets.
Well put.

He was open and available. Just didn’t get it done on the court.

He was paid handsomely and did nothing to move the program forward...The only positive is that there wasn't a scandal or ncaa violations under his watch......Wish we would have moved on earlier.

i agree with many that his presence with the media was refreshing. his sense of humor was a joy. it in no way made up for his coaching, but i do sincerely hope he lands on his feet somewhere and that he looks back at his time here and grows from it

Seems like a classy guy and apparently runs a clean program, but the win/loss portion of his performance evaluation has been in the “needs improvement” column since year one.

I live on the West Coast so I haven't seen him nearly as much as you folks back there but I don't have the same impression of him that many of you do.

I'll stop short of being negative so I'll just leave it at 'nothing'.

I like him as a person. Seems to care about his players, does well with the media, engaged with fans, etc. Didn’t win enough, so time to move on.

This is really superficial, but he looks like a little kid in an adults clothing. I just don't think his persona commands or is capable of commanding the amount of respect needed to be a viable leader. He seems more like someone to watch cartoons with on Saturday morning than someone to lead a team of young adult men through a battle for the ages on a Big 10 stage.

If he was a brilliant coach or recruiter, this would matter less. Unfortunately neither of those is true, and little things compound.

A lot of people seem to think he's a nice guy. After nearly a decade, if the best thing I can say about a coach is that he is a nice guy, well...

A lot of people seem to think he's a nice guy. After nearly a decade, if the best thing I can say about a coach is that he is a nice guy, well...

Notice how no one is saying he should keep his job? It’s not like this thread is full of people saying he is a nice guy so give him an extension.

I appreciate the way he's managed the team through the COVID challenges. Unlike some other teams, they haven't had any outbreaks, which suggests to me that he's instilled a social discipline in them and achieved buy-in to whatever he's preached to them on this.

Moreover, unlike some, I liked what he said to the team after the Nebraska game. From the Strib article published today:

"I just told them, 'Enjoy the process. Enjoy being in college,'" Pitino said. "It's a weird college experience, obviously, but embrace it, love it. Love the time you have with your teammates. Love playing basketball.

"Obviously, we've dealt with a lot of adversity. The one thing I've said over and over again is nobody's going to ever feel sorry for you. That's just the reality of it. So, put your heart and soul into whatever it is you do every single day."

My daughter is a varsity college athlete in her senior year, and those words resonate. They're only doing four dual meets with no championships, and she's struggling to find meaning in it. We've counseled her with similar words that coach Pitino said above: to live life as it's dealt and enjoy whatever happens and whoever is with you.

I'll miss the annual slow collapse.

I'll miss never, ever having am inbounds play.

I'll miss the lack of offensive imagination.

I'll miss having 2 to 3 legit B1G players every year.

I'll miss having his dad at our NCAA games.

oh wait......I already miss that!

His ability to run the few B1G quality players into the ground by overplaying them through the season.

I will miss the zone defense switch-outs. Wait, I already miss them.

Top Bottom